Why become a member? ×

3 years, 4 bands, 10 gigs. What now?

solo4652

Band 1; I joined an existing pub covers band. Two rehearsals a week, three gigs, singer sacked, band split.
Band 2; I joined a start-up wedding band. One rehearsal a week, three gigs. I left because the singer was not very good. Band subsequently split.
Band 3; Put together by me. Pub-covers band. One rehearsal a week, four gigs. Singer left to concentrate on lounge/jazz stuff.
Band 4; My current band, which is band 3 with a new singer. After two months, singer's gone AWOL to sort out her marriage.

Me;

- Utterly frustrated.

- I have learned hundreds of songs. I have notes for all of them. I can only play 30 of them from memory, but could dust most of the others off fairly quickly.

- Fed up with putting in all the hours, hard work and commitment only to see a band fail.

- Very reluctant to start up another band myself.

- Wary of joining an existing band with all the existing politics.

- Not confident enough to dep

What on earth do I do now?

Steve

Why do you need to rehearse so often? My pub band rehearses maybe once a month or every 6 weeks. We learn the songs at home ready for gigging, if we struggle to make it work at a gig then we note it down to work on at the next rehearsal.

Endless rehearsing really winds me up and means the end for a lot of bands. All the expense and monotony and no gigs!

All the material you need to know the songs is at your fingertips! There's no reason why you shouldn't be able to practise it at home and have it giggable. Pub material is not hard, mainly 4 chord stuff. Stop playing them over and over and spend your time looking for gigs instead!

I think you'll find it a lot easier to find a more stable band if you rehearse less.

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1425029847' post='2703046']
Endless rehearsing really winds me up and means the end for a lot of bands. All the expense and monotony and no gigs!
[/quote]

This, plus a billion. I've wasted so much time being strung along by otherwise brilliant bands who talk the talk, but in reality have no intention whatsoever of doing regular gigs and see rehearsal as a weekly social event. Not only a waste of my time, but their talent, too. No more!

[quote name='solo4652' timestamp='1425029224' post='2703035']
Band 1; Singer sacked, band split.
Band 2; Singer not very good, band split.
Band 3; Singer left to concentrate on lounge/jazz stuff.
Band 4; Singer's gone AWOL to sort out her marriage.
[/quote]

I'm beginning to see a pattern emerging here... :D

[quote name='solo4652' timestamp='1425029224' post='2703035']
What on earth do I do now?
[/quote]

Get on BandMix, Starnow, Join My Band and all the other online places. Go to jam nights and open mic nights. Go and see local bands, get on the scene. See what attracts you, organise as many auditions as you possibly can. Most of the music sites can be filtered for local results. It's a numbers game - the more you get out there and see what's about and the more auditions you do, the more confident you will become and the more likely it is you will find talented, committed, like-minded people who want to get on with it and not waste your valuable time.

Edited by discreet

The theme here seems to be singers leaving, getting sacked etc. I`d get out and about at jam nights, gigs, get your name known as a bassist looking for work, then when the opportunity arise, well you may well know the band concerned and already know if you`d want to join them or not.

You've been really unlucky with the people you've met. You can't keep being this unlucky. Try originals for a change of scene/pace? Completely different set of frustrations to contend with ;) Write your own stuff? If you'd told me 5 years ago I'd be writing and performing my own songs, I'd have laughed at you.

The thing that strikes me with all the bands is a lack of confidence and imbalance between
who wants to gig and who wants to rehearse them to death. Neither is the better way
but it seems to me that there wasn't sufficient interest for people to stick around.

Picking bands can be easy but you have to be able to get people to buy into
what you are doing. It is no use picking a great gtr is he is going to be frustrated
with the level of confidence in anyone else in the band...unless he is so concerned
with himself, at which point, he is not the guy you want anyway.

I don't think you are picking or attracting like minded people..who are on the same page..
and you need to be better at spotting that sort of thing.
If you find guys in a band or two.... then they probably not interested in a startup and if you find
guys who aren't in a band, then you need to ask why they aren't in a band...
There are inbetweens for a few months, but people are either workers and in bands or pretender types
who like all the gear and the idea but really it is just an indulgence or an excuse to get out of the house..typically.

Agree about too much rehearsing.....we only increase our rehearsals just before a gig to sharpen up but learn most stuff at home.

It becomes a chore if you over do rehearsals imho.

Btw.....i sing but i'm not a singer, sometimes you must improvise, adapt and overcome.

Edited by Number6

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1425030802' post='2703070']
learn to sing yourself, seriously, have lessons if need be, practice at home by recording yourself and singing through headphones, I improved my singing loads by just doing open mics, most of it is just confidence
[/quote]

This ^^^

Unless you're actually tone deaf, anyone can learn to sing. The trouble is, few people seem to realise that learning to sing properly is about as easy as learning to play bass properly.

But a dedicated singer in most bands (and of course IMHO, YMMV, DILLIGAF, LOL, ETC) is a trouble-causing passenger with an ego the size of Jupiter.

Yeah, plus one on learning to sing (and play!)! I started backing vocals a couple of years ago and a few months ago I took the plunge and now sing lead on a few songs.

All Right Now, Keep On Runnin' and Get It On are fairly easy to get the hang of while playing aswell. Started out a little pitchy but it's like learning anything, you have to learn what and where the notes are and you can only do that if you practice.

I can see the frustration about singers etc ...but I am not a fan of nodoby else, ok, I'll do it'.
The vox are the focal point of the band and it is the one thing that kills so many bands from the start, IMO.
It is hard enough getting a decent singer or a good front man in the first place so making do with
whoever is prepared to pitch in..especially if they haven't sung much before, is quite a risk.
Far better to be a decent enough BV rather than lead if you aren't upto it..
I'd walk if the band was scratching around like that, tbh..!!

If you think it is frustrating that the rehearsals don't work or convince..then imagine that to two men and a dog
a few times ..??
Do it properly...IMO.

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1425029847' post='2703046']

[/quote]

This my main gripe with my band at the moment, I'm very much considering leaving because we've done 9 gigs in two years...

I never even realised it was that pathetically low until I just counted...wow...just wow...

What the hell I have I been doing?!?!? :gas:

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1425032679' post='2703110']
I can see the frustration about singers etc ...but I am not a fan of nodoby else, ok, I'll do it'.
The vox are the focal point of the band and it is the one thing that kills so many bands from the start, IMO.
It is hard enough getting a decent singer or a good front man in the first place so making do with
whoever is prepared to pitch in..especially if they haven't sung much before, is quite a risk.
Far better to be a decent enough BV rather than lead if you aren't upto it..
I'd walk if the band was scratching around like that, tbh..!!

If you think it is frustrating that the rehearsals don't work or convince..then imagine that to two men and a dog
a few times ..??
Do it properly...IMO.
[/quote]

I disagree a little bit there.

Yeah, do it properly if the money's right! If you're looking at £1k a gig then yeah, you need to be worth the money. Slick, well rehearsed, attractive, great singer etc.

If you're looking at £250 down the Frog and Twat, then as long as the vocals are in key and tuneful and you can create a great atmosphere then that's 90% of the job done. IMO.

[quote name='solo4652' timestamp='1425032880' post='2703115']
@ Roland Rock, post no. 2. Can't work out whether that's a serious comment or not. Either way, it's not very helpful, is it?
[/quote]

[devilsavocado] Well... it may be true! And he did put a ( ;) ) after the comment... [/devilsavocado]

Edited by discreet

I do get the sentiment that for £50 you get what you get but even so there are minimum standards
and the idea is to enjoy it and have everyone else do the same.
People vote with their feet and LL's do have choices and you wont get gigs in the pubs you want to gig in.

I think there is a brick wall where certain players wont play down to... often enough to be in a pub band
so the standard for pubs isn't ridiculously high anyway... unless the band is asking for higher fees
which does seem to be happening. I've noticed certain creditable music pubs are 'risking' acts that would charge
£1k to play there. This does indeed up the ante somewhat..
I know of a few pubs doing this so will keep an eye out for how often they do it as that will indicate how succesful
the enter[rise has been..

For me... rule no 1 and no leeway.. vox need good tone and no bum notes... or near misses. I'll give them
1 a gig..and expect they would allow me and others one..!! but you are really hoping you wouldn't need that
but for a really poor night on the members part..!!

[quote name='MacDaddy' timestamp='1425034628' post='2703155']
Lol :lol:

[size=4]FWIW I love rehearsals, i hang out with my mates, we play music, then go to the pub. What's not to like?[/size]
[/quote]

Same here - as well as having a laugh we have a Weekly News session, where we go through all what`s happened/what gigs/what gear/recordings/contacts etc. Saves band meetings, plus to me, no matter how much you practice at home you don`t get that sharpness unless you rehearse together as a band. And taking it further, you don`t get really gig-sharp unless gigging regularly. Combining the two makes for a killer band imo, and I`ve noticed the difference when in bands that aren`t comitted to this, that sharpness not being there.