Why become a member? ×

3 years, 4 bands, 10 gigs. What now?

solo4652

Anyone with a history of bad band experience with short lived results has to look at themselves.

We should really figure out what we want out of a band experience, it might be that what you want doesn't exist or at least doesn't exist in our area.

If we want stability and gigs, we should seek out established cover bands with several years of consistent bookings with minimal to no member turnover.

We also don't want to quit a band because of a few little things we don't like.

Sure, someone will suggest starting our own band. That's fine if you have leadership, management, and sales skills and prior experience. Do we have the resources to start a band?

Blue

Edited by blue

good luck with finding the right people. I know lots of average local musicians or quality ones who live an hour away. Neither still want to rehearse/gig that often. Feel your pain buddy.

Edited by pbasspecial

Having repeatedly been burned by 'bands' over the last few years I recently took the decision to become a singing guitard.

I soon realised that I can't sing for toffee and my acoustic strumming isn't good enough to do the 'solo-guitarist-perched-on-a-tall-stool-looking-deep-and-meaningful-while-one's-fleet-fingers-unleash-an-intricate-silvery-cascade-of-fingerpicked-loveliness-of-such-plangent-beauty-as-makes-the-audience-swoon-and-the-barmaid-ask-for-one's-phone-number-on-the-basis-that-one's-evident-sensitivity-indicates-a-mastery-of-horizontal-gymnastics'.

So instead I've decided my act will be to just stand in the middle of a pub and shout out the lyrics to popular cover songs. Does the team think that the standard fee of £250 be too much to ask?

Indeed, bands. What can be said that hasn't already.

I give up to be honest. I've wasted a lot of time on people who like the idea of being in band but aren't willing to put in the time or work. I've got other things to do to the point that if I'm not in a band I don't really care anymore.

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1488830697' post='3252201']

I give up to be honest. I've wasted a lot of time on people who like the idea of being in band but aren't willing to put in the time or work. I've got other things to do to the point that if I'm not in a band I don't really care anymore.
[/quote]

I've been burned in the past. But the "being burned" experience taught me how to spot BS opportunities and how to spot them fast.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1488829289' post='3252188']
Having repeatedly been burned by 'bands' over the last few years I recently took the decision to become a singing guitard.

I soon realised that I can't sing for toffee and my acoustic strumming isn't good enough to do the 'solo-guitarist-perched-on-a-tall-stool-looking-deep-and-meaningful-while-one's-fleet-fingers-unleash-an-intricate-silvery-cascade-of-fingerpicked-loveliness-of-such-plangent-beauty-as-makes-the-audience-swoon-and-the-barmaid-ask-for-one's-phone-number-on-the-basis-that-one's-evident-sensitivity-indicates-a-mastery-of-horizontal-gymnastics'.

So instead I've decided my act will be to just stand in the middle of a pub and shout out the lyrics to popular cover songs. Does the team think that the standard fee of £250 be too much to ask?
[/quote]
Move to a Greek holiday island and cultivate an Irish accent - you will do fine...!

[quote name='pbasspecial' timestamp='1488828856' post='3252182']
good luck with finding the right people. I know lots of average local musicians or quality ones who live an hour away. Neither still want to rehearse/gig that often. Feel your pain buddy.
[/quote]

Agreed, after a certain age a lot of guys can't be bothered anymore. They've done and they're sick of it.

Me, mentally I'm about as tired of it as I was when I started gigging in 1966. Meaning not tired of at all.

However, physicaly, my body is giving me another message. The message is ," you can hardly load in or out and driving home late at night on back Wisconsin roads when it's 25° below zero is questionable".

So, I guess if I had a roady, a bass tech and a driver I'd be all good again.😁

Blue

Edited by blue

seems like the usual band dynamic at work here.

The singer is always the weakest link, if they were really good, they'd already be in a high paying gig. Crap singers is all that is left for us bands.

I've never been in a band with a great singer, always 'good enough' is the best I had.

Ever thought of starting an instrumentals band ? :)

Guest gazzatriumph

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1488830697' post='3252201']

[/quote]

Me too

[quote name='Phil Starr' timestamp='1425076604' post='2703815']
I'd say give up trying to start your own band. It's hard to find one person committed to gigging who isn't already gigging, to find four or five is nothing short of a miracle. I'm the organising type and I'm reluctant to take it on again. The trouble is that so many people dream of gigging but in reality only think of themselves and their playing in front of a live audience. Once they've lived their dreams a few times it's enough. Gigging most weekends is a whole extra level and takes huge commitment.

No judgement on those people for whom six gigs a year is enough though, but if you want to gig more than that then find people who share that aim.

The best way to do this is to join a band who are already gigging regularly, because for every band who has lost a less than committed singer there's another who has just lost their bassist. Start going to the local gigs and start networking, just talk to the bands, let them know you play, male a note of what they play and make sure you could make a stab at the stuff you hear most of them play. If the call comes you'll need half a dozen songs or more to jam at an audition but you will probably only get a fortnight to learn the rest of their set. The more bands you see the greater chance that you'll find one that needs you. Scan the ads use the internet but there's nothing like first hand knowledge.

Bands get so desperate that even I get to be the bassist even though I have very little skill, just Mr Reliable with a good attitude.
[/quote]

That's a great post.

Blue

[quote name='solo4652' timestamp='1425029224' post='2703035']
Band 1; I joined an existing pub covers band. Two rehearsals a week, three gigs, singer sacked, band split.
Band 2; I joined a start-up wedding band. One rehearsal a week, three gigs. I left because the singer was not very good. Band subsequently split.
Band 3; Put together by me. Pub-covers band. One rehearsal a week, four gigs. Singer left to concentrate on lounge/jazz stuff.
Band 4; My current band, which is band 3 with a new singer. After two months, singer's gone AWOL to sort out her marriage.

Me;

- Utterly frustrated.

- I have learned hundreds of songs. I have notes for all of them. I can only play 30 of them from memory, but could dust most of the others off fairly quickly.

- Fed up with putting in all the hours, hard work and commitment only to see a band fail.

- Very reluctant to start up another band myself.

- Wary of joining an existing band with all the existing politics.

- Not confident enough to dep

What on earth do I do now?

Steve
[/quote]

Funny really in retrospect

I read this post and went off for our rehearsal last monday with the original band i have been involved with - singer/guitarist/song writer/ vocalist/main man, drums, bass (me), keys and pedal steel.

Was the 5th rehearsal and one of those that started great but deteriorated

Next day the main man messages me first to say the drummer has left, then later on to say the keys has left and the pedal steel would prefer if we could get someone nearer.

OP - what were you saying?

[quote name='gareth' timestamp='1489271597' post='3255705']

Funny really in retrospect

I read this post and went off for our rehearsal last monday with the original band i have been involved with - singer/guitarist/song writer/ vocalist/main man, drums, bass (me), keys and pedal steel.

Was the 5th rehearsal and one of those that started great but deteriorated

Next day the main man messages me first to say the drummer has left, then later on to say the keys has left and the pedal steel would prefer if we could get someone nearer.

OP - what were you saying?
[/quote]

Unfortunately this happens all to often with any new band or start up band.

I really feel band for guys that have to go through this.

I really think if a start up band had a leader that was networked and connected to the point where he/she could book a band in advance with at least 4 months or 12 good gigs before you even recruited members.

My point, you could potentially attract better musicians. Chances are they would stick with the band because you would have definitive gigs to look forward to.

Blue

So far, it's been 3 years, 3 bands, no gigs. :D

Band 1: Good bunch of lads, good results, rehearsed once a fortnight, but one guitarist (band instigator) left because he had to relocate for work. Band disintegrated after.

Band 2: Guitarist 2 from Band 1 & I started again, new guitarist, drummer & vocals. Rehearsed fortnightly again, but rehearsals descended into chaos, singer couldn't sing, drummer (although talented) wanted to play guitar (plus didn't have transport, so I was the taxi), guitarist wanted to play bass, everyone else wanted to play covers. Guitarist 2 & I quit.

Band 3: Guitarist 2 from Band 1 & I regrouped, spent time writing new songs etc. Took our time advertising & selecting people, found a drummer who's not only a bloody good drummer, but a sound bloke. Found a second guitarist who was good but couldn't commit. Working on songs & looking for other people to get involved, probably looking for a singer next (will free up the guitarist). Looking at starting gigging later in the year.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1489285273' post='3255776']

Unfortunately this happens all to often with any new band or start up band.

I really feel band for guys that have to go through this.

I really think if a start up band had a leader that was networked and connected to the point where he/she could book a band in advance with at least 4 months or 12 good gigs before you even recruited members.

My point, you could potentially attract better musicians. Chances are they would stick with the band because you would have definitive gigs to look forward to.

Blue
[/quote]

Good points blue

Things have taken an upturn here.

One evening last week at 6 pm, I got a phone call from a keys player I used to play with: "Our bassist has left. We're rehearsing tonight, gig in 5 weeks. Can you help?" Quick meal, jump in the car and 90 minutes later I'm standing in their rehearsal room. I was OK with songs I knew, but hopeless with ones I didn't know, with the guitarist saying "I'll play barre chords so you can read my fingers" Errr, no, I can't do that on the hoof. Sorry. I was gobsmacked when they asked me to join! They're an established functions band playing to a good standard. The other people in the band have played together for ages, and I played with the keys player for 2 years, so maybe all the "singing off different hymn sheets" issues have been flushed out.

I'm learning the setlist as fast as I can. Playing the songs I already know, plus the easy new ones, gives me 16. Only 15 more to go, but they're all new to me. YouTube's going to get some hammer over the next few weeks.

So, onwards and upwards. First proper rehearsal tomorrow night.

[quote name='solo4652' timestamp='1489397539' post='3256502']

One evening last week at 6 pm, I got a phone call from a keys player I used to play with: "Our bassist has left. We're rehearsing tonight, gig in 5 weeks. Can you help?" Quick meal, jump in the car and 90 minutes later I'm standing in their rehearsal room. I was OK with songs I knew, but hopeless with ones I didn't know, with the guitarist saying "I'll play barre chords so you can read my fingers" Errr, no, I can't do that on the hoof. Sorry. I was gobsmacked when they asked me to join! They're an established functions band playing to a good standard. The other people in the band have played together for ages, and I played with the keys player for 2 years, so maybe all the "singing off different hymn sheets" issues have been flushed out.

I'm learning the setlist as fast as I can. Playing the songs I already know, plus the easy new ones, gives me 16. Only 15 more to go, but they're all new to me. YouTube's going to get some hammer over the next few weeks.

So, onwards and upwards. First proper rehearsal tomorrow night.[/quote]

What are you looking for in band?

Does this opportunity offer what your looking for?

Blue

Edited by blue

[/quote]thats good news, hope it goes well

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1488851903' post='3252421']

So, I guess if I had a roady, a bass tech and a driver I'd be all good again.

Blue
[/quote]

So how much will you be paying for that roadie, bass tech, driver position. I could be enticed you know :lol:
I do believe the daily commute to your gigs might be an issue Blue. :rolleyes:

Dave

[/quote]

Just never give up. There's always a silver lining just around the corner. Well done and hope the gig goes well as i'm sure it will.
Make some crib notes and keep them nearby during the gig.
Keep us all posted on how it goes.
Good luck altho you won't need luck. Skill and commitment to success is all you need.........and being able to play of course. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dave

You are truly lucky if you find a band with the same level of commitment to rehearse / gig and who share the same musical taste as yourself .

I am probably in a similar situation to the OP , ie , join band / rehearse / do a few gigs / watch band implode .

Perseverance is essential , by the law of averages you will eventually find the right band .
Try not to get too upset when people leave or change the goalposts of the band , this happens .
Most bands will have a " stand out " musician , ie a really great drummer or guitarist , I just get real friendly with these guys just for future reference . ( I think it's called networking )
Know when it's time to cut your losses and bail , some bands will rehearse forever and never get better or gig ready .

All the best - hope you find your dream band .

[quote name='MacDaddy' timestamp='1425034628' post='2703155']

Lol :lol:[size=4] [/size]

[size=4]FWIW I love rehearsals, i hang out with my mates, we play music, then go to the pub. What's not to like?[/size]
[/quote]

What he/she said. Maybe it's different in an originals band where we're basically writing and tweaking as we play.