Why become a member? ×

3 years, 4 bands, 10 gigs. What now?

solo4652

What's going on here? I started this thread because I am genuinely dazed and confused about what to do next with my bass-playing, not because I wanted to engage in a public debate about whether I'm "an insufferable ballache". Yeah, I saw Roland Rock's ( ;)) but still wasn't sure how to take his remark. Then, Discreet says "[devilsavocado] Well... it may be true!" FFS.

I know the feeling (from bands I played Sax in) but hope to get good enough on bass to be able to Dep, now I'm widowed I need to get out playing at the weekends - it's driving me nuts when everyone else is out enjoying themselves - all my social life is during the week at jams!! I've been offered a rock and roll dep gig in the summer so it's a start.

[quote name='solo4652' timestamp='1425036413' post='2703192']
What's going on here? I started this thread because I am genuinely dazed and confused about what to do next with my bass-playing, not because I wanted to engage in a public debate about whether I'm "an insufferable ballache". Yeah, I saw Roland Rock's ( ;)) but still wasn't sure how to take his remark. Then, Discreet says "[devilsavocado] Well... it may be true!" FFS.
[/quote]

To be fair, the vast majority of contributions to the thread have offered good advice and suggestions as to how you can broaden your musical horizons.

[quote name='MacDaddy' timestamp='1425034628' post='2703155']
Lol :lol:

FWIW I love rehearsals, i hang out with my mates, we play music, then go to the pub. What's not to like?
[/quote]

I feel exactly the same way as the OP
I too learned a lot of stuff, in several bands
... only for someone else to decide they no longer wanted to continue

As others have said, "why rehearse so much?" - but I enjoy doing a certain amount of rehearsals
- that way, you can improve the sound, and the tightness of the band
and some amount of rehearsals has to be good
But you can overdo it, as some have said...
Tricky balance, and it'll be different for everyone

I was in the same situation as the OP
And I can't recommend going along to open-mic nights enough
Being without a band, and after all the work I put in
I too was frustrated and wondering where to go next

But at open mic nights I met a lot of musicians
And started attending a local folk club
Since then, I've not looked back
because the musicians I've met have been better, and more committed
OK, I've played bass for some time-wasters too
learned their material, only for them to not turn up etc
But on the whole it has been a positive experience

And I've made a whole bunch of new pals...
There tend to be lots of guitarists at open-mics
Not so many bass players - so chat to a few, and see if you can join in on a couple of songs
Even if they're just simple root note bass lines
Some guitarists will appreciate adding that to a song
and you'll get better at doing it, and maybe even meet some more committed musicians

Good luck anyhow
Don't give up hope - just change tack a little

PS. I'm a terrible singer - honestly, no-one could ever teach me! lol
Having said that, I occasionally do a bit of backing.... (long as it's simple)

[quote name='mSz' timestamp='1425037048' post='2703199']
Get guitar or piano and start composing. Then find people who wants to play music and have fun doing it. [u]IN MY OPINION[/u] Pub covers bands are waste of time.
[/quote]Fixed, a lot of us enjoy playing in pub covers bands

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1425033193' post='2703122']

If you're looking at £250 down the Frog and Twat, then as long as the vocals are in key and tuneful and you can create a great atmosphere then that's 90% of the job done. IMO.
[/quote]

The "Frog and Tw@t" - where is that pub?
I really want to go there ;)
In fact, I want to make it my local....

[quote name='solo4652' timestamp='1425036413' post='2703192']
[/quote]

I'm quite sure no-one seriously believes you to be an insufferable ball-ache, Steve. You ask a question on a forum, you'll get serious replies. You'll also get non-serious replies. It's up to you to decide which are of use. My two-pence worth is in post #6 and I that's the best advice I can give you, [i]given my experience[/i] of being in bands. But your mileage (and everyone else's) may vary... :)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='solo4652' timestamp='1425032880' post='2703115']
@ Roland Rock, post no. 2

Can't work out whether that's a serious comment or not. Either way, it's not very helpful, is it?
[/quote]

The winking smiley was supposed to denote that it was a joke. Obviously I don't know you at all, but it's worth at least thinking about the fact that you are the common factor in all of these failed bands. It was supposed to be hyperbole, and I wouldn't dare actually speculate about you being an insufferable ballache, or lacking a sense of humour or whatever.

Best of luck.

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1425038834' post='2703236']
The "Frog and Tw@t" - where is that pub?
I really want to go there ;)
In fact, I want to make it my local....
[/quote]

It used to be called the Insufferable Ballache's Arms but they had to rename it after complaints. And the sign stuck out too far into the road.

[quote name='mSz' timestamp='1425040633' post='2703279']
Well, obviously it is my opinion. Aren't internet forums made for expressing your opinions and discussion?
[/quote]

NO! They're for expressing your OPINION as [u]FACT!![/u] And NO JOKES are allowed, EITHER! :biggrin:

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1425040465' post='2703272']
The winking smiley was supposed to denote that it was a joke. Obviously I don't know you at all, but it's worth at least thinking about the fact that you are the common factor in all of these failed bands. It was supposed to be hyperbole, and I wouldn't dare actually speculate about you being an insufferable ballache, or lacking a sense of humour or whatever.

Best of luck.
[/quote]

I took the original post as a joke, but the response from Solo indicates that maybe you were right. A sense of humour might be as important as being able to play properly. I'm not having a dig, but it is actually worth asking if the problem lies close to home.

@ Roland Rock, post 39. (Sorry - I can't seem to get the quote button to work)

OK - Obviously, I don't know you, either and so, given that you wouldn't dare speculate on those topics, it's only fair that I'll certainly not speculate about you saying things for effect or lacking sensitivity.

Let's move on, shall we?

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1425030354' post='2703057']

This, plus a billion. I've wasted so much time being strung along by otherwise brilliant bands who talk the talk, but in reality have no intention whatsoever of doing regular gigs and see rehearsal as a weekly social event. Not only a waste of my time, but their talent, too. No more!

Get on BandMix, Starnow, Join My Band and all the other online places. Go to jam nights and open mic nights. Go and see local bands, get on the scene. See what attracts you, organise as many auditions as you possibly can. Most of the music sites can be filtered for local results. It's a numbers game - the more you get out there and see what's about and the more auditions you do, the more confident you will become and the more likely it is you will find talented, committed, like-minded people who want to get on with it and not waste your valuable time.
[/quote]
Brilliant advice - read and inwardly digest.

My 2p regards singers. Over the years I have learned that the singer has to chose the songs the band plays and the band are there to back the singer. And massage his/her ego. Like it or not, that's the way it always is. Once you accept that, things become a lot easier.

The only thing you need to do then is select a singer who likes similar material to you and be strong when they select songs that won't fit with the direction the band want to go in.

Pushing singers to sing songs they don't want to do is a recipe for disater (not that you are doing this) but singers will only stay if they're getting their buttons pushed.

My advise for Band 5? Band 3/4 but with properly vetoed singer.

Then record a demo as quickly as possible and aggressively target gigs.

Yes - I agree with your comments about singers, and I think you're right about band 5. We've put a lot of work into bands 3 and 4, and I'm loathe to walk away from that accumulated effort to start from scratch. I'm scouring JMB, Partysounds, Gumtree etc for possible singers. They're thin on the ground, but being able to offer a keen, reliable, mature, experienced and musically open-minded (within reason - no spandex, gore-rock, "post-industrial hardcore", gangsta rap) band may give us the edge when recruiting.

Edited by solo4652

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1425040465' post='2703272']

Best of luck.
[/quote]

To be honest, I had the exact same thought about the OP being the common denominator when I read his first post. The fact that he has gotten upset about what was obviously a joke post (#2) leads me to think that there may be some truth in this after all....