Why become a member? ×

Fender Squier Katana

waldemar

Heh, didn't even know these existed (until I spotted and bought one a couple of weeks ago...)

Basswood body (very light) and excellent headstock shape/graphics - otherwise it's pretty much a P-bass with a bit of added neck-dive.

I quite fancy swapping the bridge out for a black Schaller 3-D and replacing/upgrading the p-ups/pots/knobs etc. Condition of the paintwork is very bad, but not worth spending money on re-spraying until I plan on hanging it on a wall, which I probably won't...

Not a bad score.

[attachment=185062:01.JPG] [attachment=185061:02.JPG] [attachment=185060:03.JPG] [attachment=185059:04.JPG] [attachment=185058:05.JPG] [attachment=185057:06.JPG] [attachment=185056:07.JPG] [attachment=185055:08.JPG] [attachment=185054:09.JPG] [attachment=185053:10.JPG]

Wal.

Edited by waldemar

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1425063233' post='2703618']I'm sure I've read somewhere that these oddities are extremely well put together.[/quote]

If you ignore the paint, then everything's original and hasn't fallen off during the 30 years of life this bass has seen. The neck/pocket fit is about the tightest I've seen, but the bridge is slightly out - hence me wanting to re-drill and pop on my spare black Schaller in its place. No buzzing from the electrics either.

There's no getting away from the 'cheaper' feel that you get with a body that's this light, but yeah - I'd say it was a pretty well put together piece of kit.

Wal.

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1425063233' post='2703618']
I'm sure I've read somewhere that these oddities are extremely well put together. Not quite JV0... standard but pretty much as good as other 80s MIJ Squiers were. Anyone know if that is right?
[/quote]

These were MIJ Fujigen builds so I'd expect they'd be similar quality to other E & A Serial 80s Squiers - ie pretty damn good.

Not really my cup of gin, but they definitely have some JapCrap geek appeal, so that, plus the fact they hardly made any of them, means they're quite collectable & will gain value. So no irreversible mods, Waldemar!

Jon.

• 2 years later...

[color=#191919][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=4]Squier Katana Bas 1985[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#191919][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=4]When this bass and its original form fit case appeared on the internet my GAS exploded. The seller had it right, it was an all original bass in a fine condition. Even the factory strings were still on. I only came to know about this bass in 1991 by the Klaus Blasquiz ‘The Fender Bass’ book. By then it just wasn’t my peace of cake. However, through times this bass always did have a very tiny spot in the back of my head and a few weeks ago the appeared on my computer screen. I knew right away, I had to have it![/size][/font][/color]

[color=#191919][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=4]The Katana bass was part of a trio of Katana guitars: The Fender Katana HM guitar, the stripped down Squier Katana HM guitar and the Squier Katana Bass, all produced by Fender Japan. This trio was no succes: first made in 1985 and discontinued in 1986. Guitar players didn’t like the model.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#191919][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=4]Some features: 32” (medium scale) maple neck/ rosewood fretboard / P-Bass configuration / likely a basswood body, although opinions differ.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#191919][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=4]After some cleaning, put on some new strings, set the action and fixed the intonation. Took it to the band rehearsal. Well, the sound is not Precision. There is a rather agressive midrange growl. Not as smooth and rich as a P-Bass’s. You can tame the pronounced midrange by turning down the tone knob half way. Sound gets much nicer doing that. My bandmates were allright with the bass, they felt it sounded different (then my P) but good. Think I’ll have to get used to the sound.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#191919][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=4]A nice bass, though not succesful and short lived, it got its own special spot in Fender history.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#191919][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=4]This links brings you to some more pics of my Katana bass: [/size][/font][/color][url="http://imgur.com/a/jiuKR"]http://imgur.com/a/jiuKR[/url]