Why become a member? ×

Opinions on Hicon jacks?

Corvine

Hello,

Going to be making up some patch leads for a board. Have been looking around and saw these Hicon right angle jacks on Thomann:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/hicon_klinke_hij63ma01.htm

http://www.thomann.de/gb/hicon_flunderklinkenstecker_winkel.htm?ref=prod_rel_189803_3

Anyone had any experience with these? I was wondering how they compare with Neutrik jacks in terms of sound quality and durability/reliability.

They look lower profile than the Neutriks so seems they will save a bit of space on the board.

Thanks!

A collet clamp is generally a better way of securing the cable but putting a collet type clamp in a low profile 90deg jack plug would make it not so low profile. I've had them on my pedalboard for ages now with no issues and I swap and change pedals quite a bit. The only thing I would say is to make sure you use a cable of sufficient diameter to ensure it clamps correctly. I use sommer spirit XXL cable which works very well on my board and with the low profile hicon jacks : http://www.thomann.de/gb/sommer_cable_the_spirit_xxl.htm

Edited by intime-nick

I haven't used the Hicon plugs, but I do use the generic pancake plugs from Bitsbox. They're cheap, and it's obvious, but they do work. The only problem I have had with them is that, no matter how much scuffing I do, I cannot get solder to adhere to the case of the plug to attach the shield. So I solder the core onto the centre tab and then fold the shield back over the cable and clamp it down when I close the case up. Because they're an angled plug, unplugging them doesn't put pressure in a direction that might cause this method to fail, and I haven't had one fail yet.

Thanks Intime-Nick, the spirit xxl is actually the cable that I'd got my eye on, good to know it works well with the Hicons.

Kingbollock, from what I've read I gather that the Hicon pancake plugs have 2 solder tabs inside, so no need to solder to the case. Seems to be a plus side that a few people have mentioned in reviews of them.

Thanks for the input guys.

[quote name='Corvine' timestamp='1425424761' post='2707349']
Thanks Intime-Nick, the spirit xxl is actually the cable that I'd got my eye on, good to know it works well with the Hicons.

Kingbollock, from what I've read I gather that the Hicon pancake plugs have 2 solder tabs inside, so no need to solder to the case. Seems to be a plus side that a few people have mentioned in reviews of them.

Thanks for the input guys.
[/quote]
Ah, right, sorry. I couldn't see the second tab in the photo in the link you posted.