Why become a member? ×

Active/Passive head scratch

milesBguitar

This is going to be a very noob question so please forgive me.

What is the difference of a bass having active pickups and active electronics to a bass with passive pickups and a active electronics? Sound wise or otherwise.

I have been looking (more drooling :swoon: ) over some Warwicks and noticed some with full active pickups/electronics and others with Passive/active electronice. I understand that the difference between a full passive system and an active system is more of an "vintageish/warmer" (Passive) v's a "hotter/louder" sound (active), but with the two systems described above do you then get a mix of luke warm and boiling?? ha ha

Having been a long time Fender Jazz player (love her too bits) with full passive electronics I am hankering for a bass with a bit more to it and i'm just a little confused on what is the great difference between the two types of systems. I know my ears will ultimately be the overall judge but who better to ask than you guys.

Again sorry for the daft question.

I don't think this is a daft question - it opens a real can of worms regarding the precise definition of active and passive elements of an electrical system.

From what I understand, most active basses are passive pickups with an active on-board preamp.
A lot of EMG's are low impedence pickups - which from what I gather generally need battery power to produce a usable signal and are so considered active.

From what I gather given how we generally record and listen to bass (compressed, EQ'd, and processed by either a pedal board, amp preamp, speaker cabinet, or recording equipment) the difference between active and passive isn't that critical - if it sounds great, it is great!

[quote name='PlungerModerno' timestamp='1425167636' post='2704732']
I don't think this is a daft question - it opens a real can of worms regarding the precise definition of active and passive elements of an electrical system.

From what I understand, most active basses are passive pickups with an active on-board preamp.
A lot of EMG's are low impedence pickups - which from what I gather generally need battery power to produce a usable signal and are so considered active.

From what I gather given how we generally record and listen to bass (compressed, EQ'd, and processed by either a pedal board, amp preamp, speaker cabinet, or recording equipment) the difference between active and passive isn't that critical - if it sounds great, it is great!
[/quote]
Also, most preamps work with active pups, there aren't that many active pups around.

I'm putting an EMG MM5TW with the EMG BQS Control pre in my Stingray 5 soon. Had loads of active basses but this is my first with active pups. Not sure what the advantages of active pups is to be honest. But I heard a Stingray that sounded ace with EMGs, hence the decision.

• 1 month later...

As far as I'm aware EMG are one of the only active pickups widely used on basses. Think of 'Active' as meaning 'powered'. EMG Pickups actually use power from a battery source to operate. They are very very quiet, and have their own sound.. The advantage of them is how quiet they are, and are favoured by players in high intensity environments where noise can cause a problem.

Lots of the time people call a pickup 'Active' but it's not. It's usually a form of humbucker, which operates like a normal magnetic pickup, but due to the deign and resistance of the magnets, can have a lower output. Used passive they can be too quiet, and don't have that 'Traditional' tone expected from a passive bass. So they are usually married to a Preamp which is 'Active' so it will, A)Increase output and B)Give better tone shaping.

It's about noise rejection, and tone shaping. It's rare to find Active pickups, but especially on bass, they will also have an active preamp, and take their power from that power source. More commonly its 'insert pick up type here' (not active), married to a pre amp onboard. My favourite sound though is always a really good sounding passive bass with a pair of single coils..

Hope that helps (sorry if it's clear as mud!)