Why become a member? ×

I Played An Ashdown Combo - And Liked It!

discreet

[b]I Played An Ashdown Combo - And Liked It![/b]

Did a gig at the Alley Cat Club in Denmark Street last night - the house bass amp was an Ashdown 300W 4X10 combo. Firstly my concern was that it would probably burst into flames (as I've started to believe my own propaganda about Ashdown amps) - but secondly and more realistically, I was worried that it simply wouldn't be up to the job.

However... I needn't have worried as there was seemingly endless power on tap - and with the EQ disabled and none of the shaping buttons in, i.e. as 'flat' as I could get it - the amp sounded really amazing! Full, warm and hefty but with lots of mid-push and good note definition even though I was playing fingerstyle with flats. I was very surprised, to be honest...

So there you go - Ashdown combos are great! :)

Not sure which model it was, but it looked a lot like this one:

Had a quick look online at the specs, but I think they may be just a little too weighty for my liking! ;)

I thought your gig was tomorrow night - I was going to come along to that, so sorry about missing you.

I've played through the same combo, and like you I was pleasantly surprised. Ashdown had always been in the 'ok' category for me, even the ABM stuff, but that combo is very good.

[quote name='Musky' timestamp='1425134483' post='2704341']
I thought your gig was tomorrow night - I was going to come along to that, so sorry about missing you.
[/quote]

D'oh! No worries. I'm playing in the 'other' band on Wednesday, so...
Silvia took some pics at the gig, so I'll do a gig thread with pics later today. :)

I had a full blown ABM and extension cab for years and you know what, the cheaper Ashdowns sound better IMO, The Gate in Sutton use one as the house amp and it sounds great, that said a mate of mine and EBS_Freak had one that really did set on fire so for all the nay sayers we have based our propaganda on an actual event.

I had a mag 210 combo. It sounded really beefy and best run with eq on and everything flat. Seem to remember thinking that the shape button didn't do it any favours (same goes for ABM to be fair). With a sansamp in front it was bloody fantastic for a mid range amp. The main reason for moving it on was the weight. Separates rule OK these days.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1425142571' post='2704464']
Very good. Its just the weight that bothers me. Has anyone who has experienced an Ashdown combo also used a Rumble 500? If so, is there a huge difference between them? As obviously the Rumble is a lot lighter...
[/quote]

What about the Rootmaster head? That sounds pretty damn good and the 400W version is 4kg. And they're about to release the 800W version (also 4kg) with a polished Stainless Steel front :) (I have already got an order in for one of those, factory direct, coz I am a bit excitable....)

Just gigged my ABM500 ii RC with a pair of Bergie AE210's stacked vertically tonight.
This is without a shadow of a doubt the best rig I've ever played through and there's been a few.
Fabulous sound, punch, heft, headroom, the works. Not a hint of woolliness anywhere and In a venue where I've often had problems.
B)

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1425173080' post='2704780']
What about the Rootmaster head? That sounds pretty damn good and the 400W version is 4kg. And they're about to release the 800W version (also 4kg) with a polished Stainless Steel front :) (I have already got an order in for one of those, factory direct, coz I am a bit excitable....)
[/quote]

When are they annonced to ship?
Also interested in the RM800 :)

[quote name='Old Horse Murphy' timestamp='1425140716' post='2704444']
Played through a 2x10 Ashdown combo on Thursday night. Although most of the Front of House sound was handled by the PA, the combo sounded great on the stage and pretty well-defined and loud :)
[/quote]

I was told the amp supplied on a stage would be a TE...which wasn't the best news so I wasn't sure
when I found an Ashdown 210 Combo with the amp config as in the 410 above.
I didn't need a great deal of time to get a working sound and it filled the 5 x 8 mtrs stage with minimum
aditional monitoring so I was pleasantly surprised. I only used it as the load-in was stupid so I wouldn't rush
out and buy one but I wouldn't worry if that was the amp supplied on that stage size again.
If you put another 210 underneath it I would think it would be pretty capable.

I've also hired a basic 115 combo as well and that was very light and mobile and that did ok as well.

But...you have to be reasonable what you ask amps/cabs to do and in what context..

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1425173080' post='2704780']
[/quote]

Sounds great, but I actually like my Streamliner a lot... so was thinking of using it with a 210... but then I've got a Schroeder 21012L which isn't a lot bigger or heavier, so I'm just going round and round really... must resist buying amps and cabs! Is what I'm telling myself. ;)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1425210002' post='2705018']
Sounds great, but I actually like my Streamliner a lot... so was thinking of using it with a 210... but then I've got a Schroeder 21012L which isn't a lot bigger or heavier, so I'm just going round and round really... must resist buying amps and cabs! Is what I'm telling myself. ;)
[/quote]

It doesn`t work Mark, we all just have to accept it and continually buy/sell.

[quote name='gillento' timestamp='1425203292' post='2704895']

When are they annonced to ship?
Also interested in the RM800 :)
[/quote]

They first told me to expect mine around now but when I spoke to them last week it seems it'll now be late March at the earliest. I'll let you know when I know though :)

I had an Ashdown head for about 2 weeks when the transformer on my Ampeg went on the fritz and needed replacing. The crappy buttons all fell apart and it kept blowing internal fuses even before leaving the house to gig it.

On the plus side, the sound was great, and the DI out was really clean. The amp itself (I forget which model) was more than capable of gigging with a loud drummer and a guitarist, but given the issues I'd had prior to taking it out of the house I didn't have any confidence in its ability to withstand the regular pummellings of regular gigging, so I returned it. I really wanted to like it though. :(

I used to run a Mag 300 2x10 combo on top of a Hartke 4x10. Sounded fine, never had a problem apart from the stupid push buttons splitting and falling out.

Even then, an email to Ashdown and they'd bang a few replacements off to me for the cost of postage.