Why become a member? ×

Bass Multi Effects - Any Good

Stealth

I've recently ditched virtually all my individual pedals (I had a massive pedalboard for live!) and bought a Line 6 M9. I absolutely love it. It's the slightly scaled down version of the M13 which is massive and you can use three effects simultaneously, with two options set for each pedal (like having six pedals on a board with three available at once once). It's dead easy to use and saving scenes is so straightforward. The built in looper is also pretty nifty and runs alongside the effect bank although it is a faff switching between fx/loop modes if you want to change sounds whilst love looping.
Quite happy to put up with that as the selection of sounds is just immense with loads of really useable combinations. It means that my big hefty pedalboard could be retired and replaced with a nifty little box that fits in my gig bag. Joy...
I highly recommend trying these out if you see one...

The vast majority of the effects have their own mix control within their own settings so it's rarely an issue. The overdrives can be a bit trickier but then the same usually applies with most overdrive pedals. The overdrives and distortions all have a 3-band EQ so you can make up some of the low end dropout there too...

• 4 months later...

I'm wondering what is going to replace the BOSS GT 10B. I'm using a Zoom B3, which has a tube emulator. I had a GT 6B, but it broke. I like them both, so hopefully they will come out with a new replacement for the GT 10B.
Some songs I like to use more treble, while other songs I like to use more bass. I use different pick ups for different song, too. I might like the treble up with the bridge pick up on one setting of the effects processor on one song and something different on the next song. The volume jumps, though. That is what I use the multi effects processor for. I can switch from song to song, and the volume can be even. I put a DI before the volume pedal, so I can change my stage volume without changing the house volume for my bass. I made a volume pedal from an expression pedal from a church organ to use for this.

Edited by nbtone

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1438764699' post='2836952']
I had a boss GT-6B for a while. When it was in "pedal mode" it was cool, but in "patch mode" it seemed to have a delay when switching patches, like the really old zooms did. Instant patch switching is essential
[/quote]

I had the ME50b for a while and it did the same thing. That little drop in sound when switching patches was a nuisance. OK in pedal mode though. My favourite sound on there happened when you ran the 'hi-band drive' simultaneously with the octaver set to +1. Using those together only applied distortion to the octaved up signal, very cool!

I never noticed that. I had an ME8B years ago, and I paid quite a bit of money for it. It quit working, and BOSS wouldn't repair it. After that I bought GT 6B, but it quit working after a while, too. BOSS couldn't repair it either. They are really well built, but there are no replacement parts for them when they break. Just a warning.

Anyone tried the line 6 Hd500x on bass? Worth a go? It seems to give a lot if versatility for routing options etc, but I would be worried that the two main sounds I use (fuzz and octaver) would not be up to scratch. It seems there's not many bass amp some either, but for me I'd only use one always on anyway,

It's hilarious... Past few years I've went back and forth from multi fx to separates, I just can't make my mind up!

[quote name='lefrash' timestamp='1439227418' post='2841056']
It's hilarious... Past few years I've went back and forth from multi fx to separates, I just can't make my mind up!
[/quote]
I dare say an awful lot of us have done that :lol: I know I have. For the moment, I'm happy enough with what my Line 6 Pod XT Live gives me -- the FX I want are perfectly useable and the few amp models I use are convincing enough to keep me happy, and the sheer convenience of having everything in one easily transportable box makes it a definite keeper for the foreseeable future.

Anyone tried the line 6 Hd500x on bass? Worth a go? It seems to give a lot if versatility for routing options etc, but I would be worried that the two main sounds I use (fuzz and octaver) would not be up to scratch. It seems there's not many bass amp some either, but for me I'd only use one always on anyway,[/quote]

From what I can tell there's a fair amount of extras available in mod packs - at a small cost on top of the standard. I'm a big fan of quality modelled amps, cabs and FX (I use an Avid Eleven Rack currently).

Quality of OD/Distortions/Fuzz should be good but I don't think it has any bass-specific ones.

Anyone tried the line 6 Hd500x on bass? Worth a go? It seems to give a lot if versatility for routing options etc, but I would be worried that the two main sounds I use (fuzz and octaver) would not be up to scratch. It seems there's not many bass amp some either, but for me I'd only use one always on anyway,

[/quote]
[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1439291519' post='2841540']
I dare say an awful lot of us have done that :lol: I know I have. For the moment, I'm happy enough with what my Line 6 Pod XT Live gives me -- the FX I want are perfectly useable and the few amp models I use are convincing enough to keep me happy, and the sheer convenience of having everything in one easily transportable box makes it a definite keeper for the foreseeable future.
[/quote]

At this moment I am using my Line 6 HD500 for that very reason (plus can go direct to PA for open mic type gigs). I have installed the Bass Pack & tweaked the input settings. It sounds good, the Octaver is very good (I have a real EBS to compare) Not sure about the Fuzz as I don't use them, I wish it had the SansAmp from the POD XT, but it now does have a SVT emulation. So working for me.

All this may change after next rehearsal 'cos I some times get to the stage where I like to "Go Naked" & multi-effects seem like "going to bed with your socks on!!!"

Brendan

I've been using multii-effects since I got my first unit (a Roland GP8) in 1990.

Simply the convenience of programmability is enough for me to never even begin to consider going back to individual units unless I had unlimited finances to buy everything I wanted and a road crew to lift my massive racks full of pedals and MIDI switching gear into place on stage.

For the bass, I'm currently using a Bass Pod 2 XT Pro. It's as important a part of my sound as me and my bass. Plug my bass into the input and the output into an amp, select my default preset and there is my bass sound all ready. No further messing required.

Foot control is provided by the Line 6 FBV - cost about £35 on eBay, so no problem if it gets a pint poured into it at a gig.

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1439294374' post='2841585']
I've been using multii-effects since I got my first unit (a Roland GP8) in 1990.

Simply the convenience of programmability is enough for me to never even begin to consider going back to individual units unless I had unlimited finances to buy everything I wanted and a road crew to lift my massive racks full of pedals and MIDI switching gear into place on stage.

For the bass, I'm currently using a Bass Pod 2 XT Pro. It's as important a part of my sound as me and my bass. Plug my bass into the input and the output into an amp, select my default preset and there is my bass sound all ready. No further messing required.

Foot control is provided by the Line 6 FBV - cost about £35 on eBay, so no problem if it gets a pint poured into it at a gig.
[/quote]

What are the octave and fuzz like on these things? Rack and floorboard isn't a thong I've done before buy I'm tempted!

[quote name='lefrash' timestamp='1439304901' post='2841712']
What are the octave and fuzz like on these things? Rack and floorboard isn't a thong I've done before buy I'm tempted!
[/quote]

I can't say that I've ever found any octaver that tracked my playing style accurately enough to consider using. For fuzz there are 7 different fuzz/distortion/drive effects on the 2 XT as well as a drive parameter in the amp models which has a slightly different effect on each model setting. For live use one of those will be fine in the context of the overall band sound. The big advantage is that it will be exactly the same every time I use that particular program. And if I need a different fuzz sound for a different song I can program it so it's there at the touch of a button instead of having to scrabble about on the floor changing pedal settings.

If I was looking at octave/fuzz for synth type sounds then I'd use a synth. Far easier than trying to make the bass do something it can't do a fractional as well as a keyboard.

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1439306533' post='2841738']

I can't say that I've ever found any octaver that tracked my playing style accurately enough to consider using. For fuzz there are 7 different fuzz/distortion/drive effects on the 2 XT as well as a drive parameter in the amp models which has a slightly different effect on each model setting. For live use one of those will be fine in the context of the overall band sound. The big advantage is that it will be exactly the same every time I use that particular program. And if I need a different fuzz sound for a different song I can program it so it's there at the touch of a button instead of having to scrabble about on the floor changing pedal settings.

If I was looking at octave/fuzz for synth type sounds then I'd use a synth. Far easier than trying to make the bass do something it can't do a fractional as well as a keyboard.
[/quote]

I'm quite picky with my octavers and even on my beloved Zoom B3 I find the octaver not great! So it's quite a clincher. I may have to pick one up 2nd hand and give it a go though!

[quote name='lefrash' timestamp='1439313451' post='2841837']
I'm quite picky with my octavers and even on my beloved Zoom B3 I find the octaver not great! So it's quite a clincher. I may have to pick one up 2nd hand and give it a go though!
[/quote]

Most of the better multi-effects have a loop to allow the connection of other units in the optimum position in the chain, so you could use your favourite pedal octaver with one. It wouldn't be programmable, although with the right multi-effects unit you would be able to program whether or not it was in the signal path.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1439317636' post='2841889']

Most of the better multi-effects have a loop to allow the connection of other units in the optimum position in the chain, so you could use your favourite pedal octaver with one. It wouldn't be programmable, although with the right multi-effects unit you would be able to program whether or not it was in the signal path.
[/quote]

Used to do that with my zoom b9 but then I thought ACH ill get a fuzz too.... Then after a while it became a monster its one or the other for me now. Tonight I've been investigating options so I think I've now decided to stick with separates haha.