Why become a member? ×

Bass Multi Effects - Any Good

Stealth

Help

Having sold most of my pedals i now find myself in a band which call for a few effects a sound changes.

So any users of Multi effects recommend anything as its seems an obvious way to keep things simple or Do i have to rebuild a pedal board for tonal nirvana ?

My rig is very clean but warm and articulate Stingray into Eden WTX500 with 2 1x12s

I need clean punchy Modern Got that !
Vintage growl not distortion just an edge
Lemmy /Jean Jaques Burnell distortion with a defined edge
Decent Chorus
Octaver
Tuner (Chromatic we tune to Eb)

Anything else would be a nice bonus but not essential

If it models Amps i MUST have a way to bypass all the models

So Multis
POD
Boss
Zoom
Vox
???
Budget is around £400 but less is best lol

Interesting. You've got a very good budget just for effects alone. I used to have an Eden combo.loved it, very clean, modern and powerful.
With multi fx , the thing I'd look for is ease of use. What I cannot understand tho' , is that there are so many with 'virtual 'amp settings of all the big makes.
Why have them, when you have an Eden?
Depending on your band , maybe it's best to go for something like single boss effects , or the me50b which you can get on here cheap.
Lots of people on here like the zoom b9 or whatever. Then again, there is line 6 . Over to other basschatters...

[quote name='Stealth' timestamp='1425194845' post='2704817']
Isnt the Boss GT10B out of production ?
[/quote]

On closer inspection, it looks like it is. - perhaps we'll get a GT-100B soon?

The Zoom B3 is great too, but I find the switching a bit annoying live. The GT-10B allows for total control over any parameter.

As I said before, from what you say getting a few seperate fx will probably be your best bet. You could get a Zoom MS-60b as one if them. Plenty of amp sims, drives, modulation, pitch and other stuff in there.

[quote name='Oopsdabassist' timestamp='1425155831' post='2704636']
Zoom B3 for me, covers all that you asked for there, and cheap too. also a small footprint, which is nice.
[/quote]

Yep, great pedal, easy to use, good tuner/DI as well.

I'd be tempted to get a b3 along with a select few other pedals, such as a nice od and octaver. The b3 will cover most stuff but I prefer the octaver on my digitech Bass Synth Wah. Mount it all on a board and you'll have an extremely versatile board for alot less than 400 quid.

I have been through various stages depending upon how complex the effect blends needed to be. Zoom B2.1u was ok for a pub covers band, then separate pedals for a decent rock band. I'm now using a Zoom MS-60B and find it easier than the B2.1u to use - combining effects seems easier and an awful lot of the effects are pretty good. And it is the same size as the smaller stomp boxes, too.

The ME-50B will do all the three things you need, and well, although you might need to spend some time dialing in the drive sound....took me a little while to get that side of it working for me.

Si

Gor a used ME50B for £90 from evilbay. I have to say its pretty damn good. The compression is ace as everything else sounds good straight out of the box. With a bit of tweaking its going to be perfect dunno why i didnt do this ages ago

I have a zoom ms-60b, so good I'm after another - 1 as an always on using a combination of a preamp, compressor and a touch of drive, and the other in the effects loop of an on/off pedal so can cycle through a handful of effects, and engage using the effects loop pedal when required - nice and snug on a pedal board, and (to me) a more sensible (cost wise!) way of getting a selection of fx into your set (some for literally 4 notes) than getting as separate dedicated and more expensive pedal. Very usable sounds too and only £50 second hand. That said, I've put out a wanted ad for one, so if it comes up soon, I call first dibs! Good luck, Rick

I really like the ME-50b, I've had one for years and years, the sounds are largely excellent and is laid out in a more analogue way as opposed to screens and menus etc.
That said, it becomes a bit of a faff when you want to use two effects that appear on the same 'pedal'. Obviously each pedal has a number of effects that you select between, but you cannot assign an effect to a different pedal. As such, it's not possible to easily switch between an Octave & an Envelope filter sound without saving a custom setup, but even that can become confusing.
If you just want Octave, Drive, Chorus, it's perfect as they are all on separate pedals.

The resonance effect that's assignable to the expression pedal is excellent, love that thing!

I've looked and shifting it for the Line6 M9, but again, whilst the M9 is a LOT more versatile, there are a lot of it's effects which are stuck in guitar territory, so no blends etc. Surely just a firmware update, but I don't think Line6 have made any significant updates in a long time.

I"ve not tried a B3, but a lot of people rave about them, laid out much more like a digital pedal as opposed to an analogue, but almost certainly more versatile with regards to assigning effects to pedals etc.
GT10b is probably the daddy of the lot, but as I said, potentially too much for the what you want.

Si

Another vote for the Zoom B3. Like having 3 pedals you can chop/change when you feel like it stored into patches for each song you do in your set. I use mine at the end of my effects chain for stuff that's not covered by my 'real' pedals, or when I feel like looking for something more experimental that I can't justify buying a stand-alone pedal for (sequencer/slicer type stuff, modulation etc).

Another B3 fan, but you may find swapping patches a bit of a pita. They'd need organising in advance.

Maybe look at a Line6 Bass POD Live (V2, XT, X3 etc), they do come up often enough on here & eBay. Never tried one, but the GT10B is popular, maybe even look at the Zoom B9.

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1425657412' post='2709499']
I really like the ME-50b, I've had one for years and years, the sounds are largely excellent and is laid out in a more analogue way as opposed to screens and menus etc.
That said, it becomes a bit of a faff when you want to use two effects that appear on the same 'pedal'. Obviously each pedal has a number of effects that you select between, but you cannot assign an effect to a different pedal. As such, it's not possible to easily switch between an Octave & an Envelope filter sound without saving a custom setup, but even that can become confusing.
[/quote]

That's where the B3 comes into its own, you're not restricted to the preamp, dirt section, modulator section, delay section, cab sim, but you can have three modulation effects or three delay effects if you want them.