Why become a member? ×

Marcus Miller (mij) action issues

Fitzy73

hi, my mate asked me to set up its Marcus miller bass . but I am about to pull my hair out with this bass. the tilt neck adjustment its causing the strings to choke out on the last 5 frets , the badass bridge saddles are as low as they go on the E and G string and the action is still too high , the neck heel is too high . the truss rod is adjusted correctly , other than some fret work I don't see a solution . am I missing something cheers

Sounds pretty serious :unsure:.

I'd take the neck tilt out of the question - With the neck heel flat in the neck pocket, without shims or the micro tilt set screw changing the angle - with the neck dead straight (with or without full string tension) you should get an idea of the setup possibilities. If there is a 2 mm or more gap at the 12th fret with the bridge saddles at their lowest a neck angle change is advised. I'd try a shim rather than the tilt screw for all but the smallest adjustments.

Using a straight edge on the neck you should be able to find any high frets.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got exactly the same problem with my Marcus Jazz Bass. In fact it is at The Gallery as I type getting a fretstone from Martin. A regular setup just wasn't cutting in and I was getting a lot of fret noise; especially up the dusty end as you described. I'm guessing we 're not the only ones having these issues..

[quote name='Fitzy73' timestamp='1425156295' post='2704642']
hi, my mate asked me to set up its Marcus miller bass . but I am about to pull my hair out with this bass. the tilt neck adjustment its causing the strings to choke out on the last 5 frets , the badass bridge saddles are as low as they go on the E and G string and the action is still too high , the neck heel is too high . the truss rod is adjusted correctly , other than some fret work I don't see a solution . am I missing something cheers
[/quote]
Sorry if it's a daft question, but have you got too much tilt on the neck - can you take any off via the adjustment? I've got one of these and am not a massive fan of the sound but it's the best set up of any jazz I've had and the neck is a dream. Maybe just luck I've got a good one?

[quote name='booboo' timestamp='1426332881' post='2716977']

Sorry if it's a daft question, but have you got too much tilt on the neck - can you take any off via the adjustment? I've got one of these and am not a massive fan of the sound but it's the best set up of any jazz I've had and the neck is a dream. Maybe just luck I've got a good one?
[/quote]

Yeah even with the tilt as it lowest it's buzzing . It's definitely the neck