Why become a member? ×

You've played bass, done the gigs, now's the time to have to offload everything bar bass/ amp and maybe effects for home noodling ..

Keep the basics, cause you never know.

At 62,I'm retired, I have my health and a good band with a book of business.

I have the same high level enthusiasm for playing and gigging that I had when I was 12 years old.

I have way more gear than I need, however selling any of it is not in the cards for me. I use all of it in one way or another.

I'm a gigging guy, I have no plans on stopping and certainly have no interest in bedroom noodling.
Blue

Edited by blue

If you`ve done all those gigs on that trusty Fender, keep it, as that`s the one that your hands identify with and any bass you get custom made will more than likely be based on that one anyway (neck wise), due to the history with it. As Blue says though, keep the basics as you just never know.

They're only bits of wood, get rid of what you want, unless you have some kind of nostalgic/emotional reason for hanging on to something, or it's the best bass you've ever played or whatever.

I sold the bass I'd played for 20 years & did all my gigging with a few years ago now & haven't regretted it for a second, but that's largely because my memories of gigging & being in that particular band are pretty much all negative ones.

I would keep any bass you love, I sold my Bass Collection 602 and 801 and an old US Precision, I miss all of them especially the Bass Collection's as I have never seen another 801 and my 602 had been converted to an ebony fret board, I recorded two albums with those basses I would love to still own them for the history we had together

The way I look at it, I don't need the money right now and it's not like it could be earning much interest. It would cost more to put the rig back together later than I'd get for it now. I sold a 62RI Precision because I didn't like it as much as I expected, but the other Precision stays because it has always worked for me better than anything else.

Also, the two Rippers are hanging on the wall and if they went I'd have to fill the screw holes and repaint the wall where the hangers are.

I still own the Fender P I bought in 1969. I wore the frets out on that bass. I've only gigged it once since the mid 90's, but I'll only sell it when I'm done playing. If I hadn't moved on to 5's I'd still be playing that bass on every gig.

I wouldn't order a custom bass. I don't know what I like until I hear it.

My main basses for a long time have been modern takes on Fender classics. I play a Lull (1 pickup) and a Lakland (2 pickup). I have never been asked to play anything that either of those basses couldn't handle. I only have 1 main bass. The next main bass will relegate the old one to backup status. Never say never, but that's the way it's worked for the last 25 years and last 4 basses.

I'm still playing enough to enjoy having a variety on necks to play on, and sounds to hear when playing. It looks like you've already made up your mind as to "downsizing" so best of luck whatever you decide. As for me, I'll just happily continue playing my children's inheritance! lol

Edited by dadofsix

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1425207795' post='2704967']
I sold the bass I'd played for 20 years & did all my gigging with a few years ago now & haven't regretted it for a second, but that's largely because my memories of gigging & being in that particular band are pretty much all negative ones.[/quote]

Interesting and that's too bad about the negative gig memories. Either gigging was not in your heart or you made some bad band choices. It's easy to do.

I have seen this and heard about this dislike for gigging from other musicians and they all had a few things in common;[list]
[*]They were playing in bands with uncool band members
[*]The bands they chose to play in had no gigs and no history of gigs
[*]They have never made any money from being in a band.
[*]They had other interest that were way more important than being in a band
[/list]
Me, been at it since age 12, I still gig, will never stop and have the same enthusiasm for it as I did 45 years ago.

Keep in mind I have no other interests other playing bass guitar and singing in a rock and roll band.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1425251483' post='2705645'] I have no other interests other playing bass guitar and singing in a rock and roll band.
[/quote]

Yes - I believe you've mentioned that once or twice... :D

To the OP: Keep anything you're attached to. It can be nigh on impossible to get it back afterwards... But other than that, as RhysP says - it's just gear. Buying decent gear is really cheap at the moment - which also makes it a bad time to be selling stuff..

If you need the space, sell. Otherwise put it away, lend it to someone else, hang it on the wall.... :)

I'm always looking for that one bit of kit which will make everything right. Currently it's all about having as less as possible, hence my Peavey Vypyr VIP 3, which is designed for bass and guitars.

If you are skint, ask 'do I need it, and can I afford it'? If money is not an option ask 'is it worth it and will I use it'?
Courtesy of Money saving expert.com

Bass wise- I have done that, sold on my rarely used 5 string, and a few others I had kicking about, am left with a trusty FJ, and a crafter P copy for back up. The bass I play to learn/practice etc is a cheap acoustic. That is it (3 is not too many to be minimalist right?)

Guitar wise I'm building up again... When I got married I had a bit of a sell off, but that is reversing now. Not sure I could work that down to 1

I'm in a gigging band, but I've only got 1 bass, and one amp/cab.

Been down the road too much of GAS in the past, so I'm just going to play this set-up until I give up, or quit when it gives up!

Good thing is, when you do give up, a basic set-up is small enough to leave in the corner just in case you do ever come out of retirement, but not big enough to make you want to sell!

Some kit might be considered a long term bet. Wish I had kept two basses and three amps from my youth. Silly money for those nowadays. I am thinning kit down but some basses will be put 'under the bed', if I sold then decided I wanted them again they would be hard to find.