Why become a member? ×

March Composition Challenge - GET WRITING!

Skol303

[color=#800000][size=5][b]March’s Composition Challenge is now underway![/b][/size][/color]

[size=5]Here’s the image for your inspiration, chosen by last month's winner [b]Bleat[/b]…[/size]

[size=5]And here are the rules 'n' stuff…[/size]

By entering the competition you agree to the [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules"]Basschat Terms & Conditions[/url] and [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/3178-forum-guidelines/"]Forum Guidelines[/url], which are designed to help ensure the forum remains free of offensive and/or illegal behaviour and material. In a nutshell:

[b]1) Please avoid any content that other forum users may find offensive[/b]. If your track contains explicit lyrics, for example, then please warn other forum users so they can choose for themselves whether to listen to it.

[b]2) Please make sure you have permission to use any 3rd party sounds included in your track[/b] (ie. sounds that you have not recorded yourself, such as samples of other people's music). The owners of Basschat accept no responsibility for infringements of copyright or other forms of legal ownership, which are solely the responsibility of competition entrants. If we spot any breaches of copyright then your track will be removed from the competition.

For reference: here's a great source of copyright-free material, all available under Creative Commons license: http://www.freesound.org/

[b]3) Entries should be no more than five minutes long and written/produced during the month of the competition[/b], taking inspiration from the photo provided. No cheating!

If you have any questions about the competition rules, just ask.

[color=#800000][b][size=5]The deadline for entries is midnight on Tuesday 24th March.[/size][/b][/color]

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1425216775' post='2705114']
I've already got an improvised bass line down, as well as a drummer falling down the stairs.
Now I'm off to record some chickens.
[/quote]

:lol:

I saw the picture and thought straight away it would be right up your street, I have a couple of ideas , but the genre to do it in escapes me :rolleyes: ,
However , as per usual I may start off with an intent to do a rock number and it wanders of into a gregorian chant instead :blush:

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1425216775' post='2705114']
I've already got an improvised bass line down, as well as a drummer falling down the stairs.
Now I'm off to record some chickens.
[/quote]

Drat..! You've gotten there first again; there goes my best idea..! Now I'll have to start again with only a broken marimba and a flugelhorn. It's going to be a long night...

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1425459941' post='2707467']
I'm free today until 2pm. I'm gonna dedicate that time to this months challenge. Let's hope I come up with something.
[/quote]

Go for it. Those chickens won't record themselves.

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1425467884' post='2707562']
I've already wah-wahed and pitch-shifted my chickens.
Now I'm just off to record The Sound Of Trouble...
[/quote]
Enough of these distractions I've got chickens in the oven.... I think.... Lol :D

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1425467884' post='2707562']
I've already wah-wahed and pitch-shifted my chickens.
[/quote]

I don't know what the situation is in Shropshire, but in several counties there are bye-laws against that sort of thing.

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1425489350' post='2707869']
More like this:..
[/quote]

Good stuff; I enjoyed that..! I didn't recognise the strings on the bass; are they chrome flats or counter-wound half-baked knicker-chrome ball ends..? I'm sure I've heard 'em before somewhere, but just can't think where. Hmm...

Edited by Dad3353

Here we go; it's not going to get any better by twiddling around any further, so here it is...

[url="http://soundcloud.com/dad3353/herd-through-open-taxi-windows"]Herd Through Open Taxi Windows ...[/url]

I caught brief snippets from the taxi cabs rushing by, snatches of conversation and car radios. I believe there was a pickup truck, too, laden with chickens, with 'Lenny's Delivery Service' inscribed on the door panels. Sadly, much was affected by the Doppler effect.
The picture, with its multiple focal points and no one central detail to fix one's attention, inspired me to create a 'collage' of samples, all from licence-free sources, with Reaper as a DAW, and a software wah-wah. No chickens were harmed in the production of this piece.
Enjoy.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1425542502' post='2708273']
Here we go; it's not going to get any better by twiddling around any further, so here it is...

[url="http://soundcloud.com/dad3353/herd-through-open-taxi-windows"]Herd Through Open Taxi Windows ...[/url]

I caught brief snippets from the taxi cabs rushing by, snatches of conversation and car radios. I believe there was a pickup truck, too, laden with chickens, with 'Lenny's Delivery Service' inscribed on the door panels. Sadly, much was affected by the Doppler effect.
The picture, with its multiple focal points and no one central detail to fix one's attention, inspired me to create a 'collage' of samples, all from licence-free sources, with Reaper as a DAW, and a software wah-wah. No chickens were harmed in the production of this piece.
Enjoy.
[/quote]
I liked it. I still like it. 👍

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1425548452' post='2708368']
I liked it. I still like it.
[/quote]

<sings>But will you like it tomorrow?</sings>

I'm looking forward to liking it, but I'm probably going to do my usual thing of waiting until the deadline and then binge-listening.