Why become a member? ×

March Composition Challenge - GET WRITING!

Skol303

Or use something like "Mike the Drummer", which has thousands of drum clips, fills etc for every occasion. It just means a bit of editing...
Though I'm tending to tap out drums now using my keyboard's pads.
As for the Wal, I used my ancient one with an XLR cable straight into my Focusrite so it's just Wal electronics plus VST compression. Serious heavy bass tone!

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1426062543' post='2713837']
Or use something like "Mike the Drummer", which has thousands of drum clips, fills etc for every occasion. It just means a bit of editing...
Though I'm tending to tap out drums now using my keyboard's pads.
As for the Wal, I used my ancient one with an XLR cable straight into my Focusrite so it's just Wal electronics plus VST compression. Serious heavy bass tone!
[/quote]

I'm not even using a PC based recording system, it's all very low tech here... I'm recording on one of those little boss BR80 things. I have tapped out the drum track live using an old alesis SR16, I haven't even worked out how to programme it properly so I just tapped the rhythm out manually! I think the issue is also me not being a drummer and not having a clue where to start... Unfortunately my track currently kinda sounds like an early console game soundtrack, it sounds very synthetic despite playing everything live...

The Wal does keep things nice and simple doesn't it, I did a recent full band studio recording DI'd straight into the desk :)

I'm doing another completely on the iPad using Gadget.

I let the Mrs hear what I've done so far & she was flabbergasted at how awful it is. I'm not changing it, it's a little different for sure, but I like it.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1426069881' post='2713934']
I let the Mrs hear what I've done so far & she was flabbergasted at how awful it is.
[/quote]

Its nice when they are suportive isnt it... Mrs C commented after a recent gig that she thought I was now too bald to play in public anymore.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1426069881' post='2713934']
I let the Mrs hear what I've done so far & she was flabbergasted at how awful it is. I'm not changing it, it's a little different for sure, but I like it.
[/quote]

I don't know your Mrs, but that could be a recommendation...

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1426070640' post='2713944']
Its nice when they are suportive isnt it... Mrs C commented after a recent gig that she thought I was now too bald to play in public anymore.
[/quote]

Er, Errol Brown? Seal? Britney Spears?

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1426058460' post='2713791']...probably due to my total lack of knowledge when it comes to drums...
[/quote]

...So we're all on a level playing field, it would seem..! :rolleyes:

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1426058460' post='2713791']...anyone want to record some real drums for me to save the day?
[/quote]

Be careful what you wish for..! PM me a style, a bpm, a bar chart..? See just how bad things can get..! :ph34r:

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1426071035' post='2713948']...
Er, Errol Brown? Seal? Britney Spears?
[/quote]

Yes indeed. They, too, are too bald to play in public anymore. :mellow:

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1426073659' post='2714004']
Be careful what you wish for..! PM me a style, a bpm, a bar chart..? See just how bad things can get..! :ph34r:
[/quote]

I would be eternally grateful for any assistance... Not sure I have the tune in any usable format unfortunately to be able to record a drum track, I guess I could send the whole thing as an MP3 or something, I did record it over a click.

Anyway this all sounds like a lot of effort on your part and I wouldn't want to impose :)

I would however appreciate some tips on where I'm going wrong If I do manage to get it finished for the deadline.

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1426074517' post='2714020']
I would be eternally grateful for any assistance... Not sure I have the tune in any usable format unfortunately to be able to record a drum track, I guess I could send the whole thing as an MP3 or something, I did record it over a click.

Anyway this all sounds like a lot of effort on your part and I wouldn't want to impose :)

I would however appreciate some tips on where I'm going wrong If I do manage to get it finished for the deadline.
[/quote]

Well, get it 'finished' (is it [i]ever [/i]finished..? :rolleyes: ) and we'll flood you with tips as to why you won..!

(As to 'imposing' and/or wasting my time, I've been doing [i]that [/i]for the last 64-odd years. Hasn't bothered me up to now..!)

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1426075322' post='2714032']
Well, get it 'finished' (is it [i]ever [/i]finished..? :rolleyes: ) and we'll flood you with tips..
[/quote]

That would be helpful as I really am clueless with drums... Been thinking I might go for a couple of lessons just to grasp the basics, not that I'm looking to be a drummer but I think it would help me with my bass playing.

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1426075044' post='2714028']
I see a new award category: track which most gasted Mrs xgsjx's flabber.
[/quote]
:lol:

She normally likes my creations. Some very much so, others not so much & she likes what creations she hears on here.
This one, straight after the intro she sat open mouthed & kept looking at the screen & turning to me if I was joking.

I think when I get it posted, many may well agree with her.

I just need to get the end section finished & then I'll upload it.

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1426156572' post='2714960']
i should get involved in this again.. but im finding myself less and less interested in music :(
[/quote]

Well, you're still here mate! So that's a good sign ;)

Don't put pressure on yourself. Nothing worse than trying to write a tune when it feels 'forced'.

Ok, here's my entry.

https://soundcloud.com/xgsjx/peace-in-the-hustle

I'm not happy with the sax sound as it sounds fine through headphones or on decentish speakers, but on the iPad or othe small speakers, it sounds like a plastic toy.

If I won the lottery I would by a voice I could record that sounded half decent , I have one ready to go that just needs a little 'something' and another which could be better but needs a voice , I think it if I had a decent voice it would help , but I also lack the skill of making the sounds sit in the piece like they should . :rolleyes:

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1426382271' post='2717575']
If I won the lottery...
[/quote]

Without going quite that far, it seems to me that there's an opportunity for creating some sort of collaborative system whereby one sends a mock-up and a text, it gets sung and sent back to be integrated into the mix. Maybe it already exists and I just don't know about it..? It needn't necessarily be a hyped-up commercial thing, just a 'commons licence' type of arrangement, for fun (I was going to put 's**** and giggles', but that's maybe just a bit too flippant..?).
I suppose one could always try contacting some of the folks registered with Looperman and the like; some, indeed, ask for collaboration. Perhaps I should try to be a little less shy and go for it..? Writing a lyric worth presenting seems a daunting enough challenge, though. I'd better start with solving that conundrum. Hey ho, where's my rhyming dico..? Got nothing to say..? Say it anyway. Strugglin' for a rhyme..? Happens all the time. Now I'll have to go, I've a cuppa on the go. (No, scrap that last one. Instead, I'll bake a bun...).
Not easy, not easy at all. :(
([i]I knew it; the writing's on the wall[/i]...)
([i]Now you just cut that out..![/i])

(...[i]or I'll fetch you a mighty clout..![/i] :angry: )
([i]Dang, I can't stop now, it's got me in a tizzy[/i]...)
.(.. [i]Just like a Rupert book, but not so busy[/i].)
([i]Now then, what's all this about 'orange'..?[/i])
([i]They say it cannot rhyme, yet I have found a cringe[/i]-...)
(...[i]-worthy word to take the place, I'll send it[/i]...)
(...[i]to Looperman; he'll know how to end it..![/i])

I have thought of collaboration on a few occasions , and indeed have had our bands singist (and Lurksalitle) do a few for me , and while thats great , I don't think my end results really do it justice , partly because I dont feel in a position to demand a performance of the exact melody , timing and timbre that I hear in my head it should be , so a couple of takes is really all I could ask for and I can't make it hard work for anyone.
Likewise , my skills on the cloud of sound , whilst great (for me), probably wouldn't really inspire a virtual collaborator to lay their skills at feet :D

Now the likes of our venerable, multi-award winning , uber talented and all round good eggs of this parish have people knocking their door down for project collaboration , but for me , I don't think I am quite ready for that yet.............................................................. maybe next week :lol:

BUT , I am sure that with lottery funding , collaborators 'expenses' would help them lower their expectations of the outcome a touch :rolleyes: .

Ed to include the daughter :blush:

Edited by lurksalot

Don't beat yourself up about it. I can't sing either. In fact, I've actually emptied a venue with my singing voice!

I see it as 3 options. Either do the collaborations with a singer, get singing lessons or make your songs instrumental.

You could try option 4 - Rap :)

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1426412310' post='2717666']
[/quote]

Be afraid... Be very afraid...
For that is what I've gone for.
It's not as bad as that terrible time Peter Jones did a bit of "Rapper's Delight" on Dragon's Den, and I'm hoping lots of compression and filtering makes it not too appallingly ill-thought-out!
I'm sure The Kidz will love it.

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1426417357' post='2717769']
Be afraid... Be very afraid...
For that is what I've gone for.
It's not as bad as that terrible time Peter Jones did a bit of "Rapper's Delight" on Dragon's Den, and I'm hoping lots of compression and filtering makes it not too appallingly ill-thought-out!
I'm sure The Kidz will love it.
[/quote]
[attachment=186537:Home_Afra.jpg]

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1426412310' post='2717666']

[/quote]

I actually tried that on a work in progress for this month aswell , it might even be s touch worse than the singing .

I was about to have some singing lessons but I had to buy an acoustic bass with the money , so I will save up some more
Every time you hear my voice on a recording it is auto tuned to hell , even the 3 choo choos on last months were auto tuned :(

Edited by lurksalot