Why become a member? ×

SOLD: Gedo 3/4 Semi-solid DB, Tom & Will Gigbag, Gage pickup
£1200

A very reluctant sale this, but unfortunately I have to have quite a complicated op on my left wrist, so it looks like my DB days are prematurely over :( I'm looking to sell the whole lot together, which will give someone a ready to go giggable DB at a heavily discounted price. I'm not looking to split.

For sale is a Gedo Musik 3/4 violin-shaped DB with solid Spruce top, ebony board and laminated back and sides with flame maple. It's finished in Antique Matte, which I think is a far nicer finish than the stained orange you often see on instruments at this price point. It's by no means the best quality DB, but it is very good quality (Gedo has a very good reputation here on Basschat) and now sounds wonderful with the new strings and full setup.

When the instrument arrived, I had it professionally serviced and set up by Edward Gaut violins. He reshaped the fingerboard, re-cut the nut, lowered the bridge and installed a new sound post as the original one wasn't a great fit. The work cost me £240.

It has Tyrolean tuners and is currently fitted with Thomastik Spirocore Weich E and A strings and Lenzner Supersolo D and G gut strings (the Thomastik D and G strings are also included in the sale.) The Thomastiks were bought brand new.

I have also installed a David Gage Realist pickup and the David Gage volume unit, along with a Walnut Ben Bastin End Pin. Also included is a FDeck Clone preamp.

The bass has been stored in a Tom and Will Superior gigbag and comes with a Stagg Double Bass Stand. There's also a cheap bow that came with it and some DB instruction books I recently bought including:

Ray Brown's Bass Method
Principles of Double Bass Technique
Essential Elements 2000 For Strings

Everything is in super condition and has probably only left the house once.

Overall the bass, set up, strings, pickups, preamp, gigbag, stand and everything else cost in excess of £1,500. I'm looking for £1,050.

I would consider trades for a Fender Custom Shop Strat, Classic Stingray, or possibly a R*ckenbacker bass or guitar.

It can be picked up from either preferably Woking (weekends) or Bristol (weekdays). As mentioned, I don't want to split this at the moment.

[url="http://s945.photobucket.com/user/nwmurphy/media/IMG_4004.jpg.html"][/url]
[url="http://s945.photobucket.com/user/nwmurphy/media/IMG_4003.jpg.html"][/url]
[url="http://s945.photobucket.com/user/nwmurphy/media/IMG_4002.jpg.html"][/url]
[url="http://s945.photobucket.com/user/nwmurphy/media/IMG_4001_1.jpg.html"][/url]
[url="http://s945.photobucket.com/user/nwmurphy/media/IMG_4000_1.jpg.html"][/url]

Edited by Old Horse Murphy

[quote name='Rabbie' timestamp='1425218883' post='2705136']
So sorry to hear about the op: no chance of physio and rehab to get back to playing DB afterwards? This bass plus setup, in this condition is a real bargain, I hope you get a quick sale.
[/quote]

Thanks Rabbie :)

I've broken it playing rugby and will need a plate and some screws. Although it just about gets me by playing electric bass, the additional strength and stretch required to play DB is causing me all sorts of issues.

You and your Rugby! Is this from your previous escapades or have you mashed it again? Mine is/was plated and pinned it's not turned out too well but I can play still, well in a fashion but that's not all the injurys fault :)

That's a great setup there, nothing came up like this when I was looking, Nick is a top fella to deal with and well known around here for anyone looking that is new to the site, GLWTS :)

Thanks for everyone's kind comments You'd think at my age I would have learnt by now. Unfortunately, you're a very long time retired and I didn't think I was quite ready to give up playing just yet (I reckon I've still got another 10-20 years left in me :D)

Edited by Old Horse Murphy

Oh no! really really sorry to hear you have to give up mate :(
Such a shame....
I wish you well with the recovery of your wrist / hand
and good luck with the sale of your bass

Looks a real bargain too

BTW. Would it be possible for you to play an EUB in future?
Just a thought - most are mountable onto some sort of stand too (like the NS Design range)
they are easier to lug about, and with aforementioned stand, it may also help

Good luck

Marc

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1425385874' post='2706715']
Oh no! really really sorry to hear you have to give up mate :(
Such a shame....
I wish you well with the recovery of your wrist / hand
and good luck with the sale of your bass

Looks a real bargain too

BTW. Would it be possible for you to play an EUB in future?
Just a thought - most are mountable onto some sort of stand too (like the NS Design range)
they are easier to lug about, and with aforementioned stand, it may also help

Good luck

Marc
[/quote]

Thanks very much Marc. I may well revert back to EUB at some point in the future :)

[quote name='Old Horse Murphy' timestamp='1425502412' post='2708042']
Thanks very much Marc. I may well revert back to EUB at some point in the future :)
[/quote]

I'd definitely consider it
For me personally, I don't know how I'd get through a week without either a DB or bass guitar to play
Take it from me (who gave up for around 25 years!)
You'll miss it, and you may not even realise how much you'll miss it....

Hope your wrist problems will allow you to play an EUB soon

Have a free bump
GLWTS, but most of all - good luck with your wrist

Cheers again

• 5 weeks later...