Why become a member? ×

how hard to stain an ash body?

thebuckets

As in the title how much bother would it be to stain an ash bodied sr600? Ibanez used to do it in a walnut finish but I think it would look nice in black oil finish as well instead of tge flat natural.
ibanez seem to offer nice ccolurs but only in certain models. Love the black ice finish of the 705 but am after a 4 string and dont like the amber of the 700

It all depends on the current finish on the SR600 body, and whether it would let stain through it or not. Alternatively, if it has an sealed finish (and it probably does), how deep does it go and how easy is it to remove. Unfinished Ash is lovely to stain and work with in general.
I'm guessing the Ibanez finish is fairly minimal, and that with a fairly basic hand-sanding down you would get down to pretty much bare ash again. I am not familiar with that exact model though. Certainly SR500 finishes are very thin.

If you want black on a budget consider a home-made ebonizing solution .
Also known as the old steel-wool-left-overnight-in-vinegar method .

Also a budget drying oil finish is walnut oil from a supermarket , it just takes longer to dry than the more expensive gun stock oils .

Further possibilty ; charring with a blowtorch , polishing with steel wool and then an oil finish . ( search for " Sugi " finish )

Black ink or leather dye can both work as well .