Why become a member? ×

Tuners that disagree (and some name-dropping)

philw

The band I'm in supported the Blockheads yesterday evening and I got to use Norman Watt-Roy's Ashdown rig (that's the name dropping bit). Clearly, on the whole, this was a brilliant experience (especially since the Blockhead's audience didn't all stay in the bar while we Galleons were on), but one thing worried me. On top of Norman's rig was a serious looking rack tuner (can't remember what make), but when I first set up at the soundcheck I hadn't noticed the tuner so I had my usual Korg Pitchblack in line with my bass. The thing is though, even though both tuners were set to 440Hz, they disagreed. Norman's rack tuner thought the Pitchblack was a few cents sharp. I went with the Pitchblack's opinion and things sounded fine, but now I'm not sure if I can really trust it. So, anybody else been worried before by tuners that disagree?

P

PS. Norman's rig sounded glorious. Such a shame my Wal is out of action at the moment and I only had my modded Squire Jag with me.

I didn't really look too hard at NWR's bass rig (other than clocking it was a 2 x 12 on top of a 1x15). I was just happy to be using it. Here's my souvenir picture anyhow (with my bass).

P

[attachment=185251:NormBassRig.jpg]

Edited by philw

So this Norman chap mixes speaker sizes and actually uses Ashdown, sounds like he needs to join up here to be shown the error of his ways, is he new to bass? ;)

I don't know about the tuner but it mmust've been hell of a buzz playing there knowing that NWR would be playing the same gear on the same stage and hour later.

[quote name='JamesBass' timestamp='1425239435' post='2705494']
Chances are the rack tuner will be more sensitive than your pitch-black. It'll likely show the tuning on a smaller scale. i.e.; intervals of one as opposed to perhaps 3 or so. If you follow me that is?!
[/quote]

That's a good point James. I wasn't in the kind of frame of mind to look too closely (bit stressed in the soundcheck when the sound guy asked for some bass and NWR was sitting there, just by the stage), but I have a feeling now you suggest it that the rack tuner had more than one scale on its display. So what I thought was a few cents (between 5 and 10) was maybe actually a factor of 10 less.

[quote name='philw' timestamp='1425240548' post='2705514']
That's a good point James. I wasn't in the kind of frame of mind to look too closely (bit stressed in the soundcheck when the sound guy asked for some bass and NWR was sitting there, just by the stage), but I have a feeling now you suggest it that the rack tuner had more than one scale on its display. So what I thought was a few cents (between 5 and 10) was maybe actually a factor of 10 less.
[/quote]
I can imagine the pressure! But it's awesome you got to use his rig and play support such an awesome band! Gotta say I'm a tad envious aha

[quote name='JamesBass' timestamp='1425288449' post='2705770']
I can imagine the pressure! But it's awesome you got to use his rig and play support such an awesome band! Gotta say I'm a tad envious aha
[/quote]

Yeah it was stressful but real a privilege and great fun. We had to cut down our gear (we're a six piece) to fit on the stage (drummer played cajon and I cut back to one bass from the usual three - fretted, fretless and EUB), but we seemed to do ok and got lots of good feedback. I didn't get to speak to Norman, other than offer a quick thanks for the rig loan, but the other Blockheads who hung around to chat for a bit in the soundcheck were very friendly and welcoming. And yeah, they're an awesome band.

P

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1425514387' post='2708217']
440!! OMG!! It's supposed to be 432!! OMG!!
[/quote]

Yeah, I know. It's pretty risky, this playing at frequencies that conflict with the natural frequency of the Universe, but it's sooo rock n roll.

P

[quote]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I didn't really look too hard at NWR's bass rig (other than clocking it was a 2 x 12 on top of a 1x15)[/font][/color]
[/quote]

Bloody hell!! Silly bollocks is doing it all wrong! Hope you got his number so you can send him a few corrective text messages to warn him about mixing speaker sizes!! :ph34r:

:lol:
I am of course joking for those on this forum without a sense of humour!!

Edited by The Badderer