Why become a member? ×

NBD Precision American Special

Thunderpaws

Evening.

Returned home this afternoon with a huge smile on my face after buying a Fender American Special Precision.

Went in to the shop with an open mind, as long as it was a Fender P! The guy in GuitarGuitar was very helpful and led me downstairs to the "nice" guitar room and plugged me into one of those Heritage Ampeg portaflex jobs. What a lovely sounding amp.

Anyway, tried a standard men, a Nate Mendel, an American Standard and a Classic 50's as well as the American Special I left with.

It was the neck, it's lovely. Much nicer for my large hands than the Nate Mendel. Was surprised how much I liked the Classic 50's. Would happily have taken that home too. The Special sounded just as sweet as the American Standard and the necks felt roughly identical. Lovely satin finish.

Now, how do I add a photo on my mobile?

That's a great looking bass! Good score :)

I am a huge fan of these basses. Mine are the 2012 honeyburst models with two piece alder bodies, 8.5lbs each.

As you say, the necks are fantastic.

I had one converted to fretless by Book Guitars in Devon.

I've swapped the scratchplates and added thumb rests, and both basses have upgraded Hipshot tuners.

Hi Walbasist.

And everyone else, sure is nice to hold in the hands.

Where did you get your scratch plates from? I am considering swapping the bridge over. I have a gotoh 201b kicking around. Think it should swap ok.

Will have rehearsal tomorrow night then get a review in here.

Cheers

Hi Walbasist.

And everyone else, sure is nice to hold in the hands.

Where did you get your scratch plates from? I am considering swapping the bridge over. I have a gotoh 201b kicking around. Think it should swap ok.

Will have rehearsal tomorrow night then get a review in here.

Cheers

[quote name='Thunderpaws' timestamp='1425299162' post='2705898']
[/quote]

Standard Fender 13 hole scratchplates from the US off eBay: even with postage they were cheaper than buying the equivalent in the UK!

I thought about swapping the bridges too, to Hipshot Vintage, but in the end decided not to.

Just been noodling on mine for the past hour or so. Absolutely fantastic. Love the way it sounds with my Streamliner. Such a range of tones from the very simple tone control. Love the weight compared to my G&L l2000 tribby. Will also try and take some better pictures. I managed to find one with some interesting grain on the neck. Can't wait for rehearsal tomorrow.

...I've also got an American Special, and love it. Bought from here on Basschat to be the backup and twin to my '79 Precision, but I now tend to use it first.

It has a Badass bridge, Geezer Butler EMGs, Hipshot D-Tuner and Luminlay dots on the side now.

Gave it a run out at Rehearsal this evening and am absolutely delighted with it. Compared to my G&L it has authority, a real kick in the arse whilst being all nice and gooey at the same time. It ways way less too, I think, and the neck is excellent. Will need more time to tinker with amp settings to get the absolute best out of it, but so far I could hear everything I played very well, even when I turned it down a bit.

Will need to find a hard case for it.

Also, sounds amazing through my boss odb3 with Monte Allums mod. Much smoother than my G&L. Probably the less hot pickups going in that have made the difference there.

Can't wait til next rehearsal now!