Why become a member? ×

Royal Blood

0175westwood29

i know these guys have been mentioned here in a thread but i cant stop listening to these guys!

crazy sound! absolutely gutted i missed getting a ticket for there current uk tour!

but seriously this cover!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZ1-Tcgcvm4&index=3&list=PL1CA6335E0D3699B6

andy

Saw them live at the O2 Academy in my town.

Even though their album has some great songs on it and I have always been impressed with the Bass split signal thing..... Live they really didnt do it for me.

The bass tone was terrible, muddy with no definition, and too 'in the background'. Made it all sound empty.

Also I found the constant distorted/overdriven 'guitar' tone really grating after a few songs. Maybe it was just not a great sound for them on that one gig.

I saw them at the O2 ABC in Glasgow in October and they were awesome. I saw them last Sunday night again at the Barrowlands and to be honest, I lost count the number of times I caught myself looking at my watch. I dunno, they are good at what they do but I just think perhaps I am bored with it already. Also don't think they have any more than a couple of albums in them at most before their sound becomes yesterday's "thing" and they disappear off the radar.

Nothing wrong with them, but apart from having a guitarist playing a bass through a pitch transposer, they sound pretty much like any/every other basic garage rock band from the last 40+ years. But I'm old, jaded & a bit gimmick-averse.

To my ears, they'd be better if the guitarist played a guitar, and they got a proper bassist. But then they'd still be playing the student uni & not getting Brit Awards, wouldn't they? ;)

Jon.

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1425316080' post='2706143']
Nothing wrong with them, but apart from having a guitarist playing a bass through a pitch transposer, they sound pretty much like any/every other basic garage rock band from the last 40+ years. But I'm old, jaded & a bit gimmick-averse.

To my ears, they'd be better if the guitarist played a guitar, and they got a proper bassist. But then they'd still be playing the student uni & not getting Brit Awards, wouldn't they? ;)

Jon.
[/quote]

hes not a guitarist, i do get that they arent for everyone.

andy

[quote name='0175westwood29' timestamp='1425320454' post='2706200']
hes not a guitarist, i do get that they arent for everyone.

andy
[/quote]
He plays guitar-style riffs, predominantly using signal splitting, pitch transposition and distortion to create the sound of a guitar playing root/fifth/octave power chords, along with a unison bass part an octave underneath.

You can be as pedantic as you want about the name of his role based on the specific instrument he's playing - but that won't make him a bass player. :)

Like I said, I have nothing against this band & their style of music - in fact I'm glad to see a new rock band coming through & getting attention. I just think the attention's based on their gimmick, not the somewhat dated & unremarkable music they play.

J.

Rumour is next record will produced by Rick Rubin. I think their trick has been to use the bass as guitar gimmick to distract from the fact he's got a great rock'n'roll voice and the whole aesthetic of the band is really cohesive, lyrics, subject matter, structures, graphics etc. essential today more than ever.

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1425322540' post='2706224']
He plays guitar-style riffs, predominantly using signal splitting, pitch transposition and distortion to create the sound of a guitar playing root/fifth/octave power chords, along with a unison bass part an octave underneath.

You can be as pedantic as you want about the name of his role based on the specific instrument he's playing - but that won't make him a bass player. :)

Like I said, I have nothing against this band & their style of music - in fact I'm glad to see a new rock band coming through & getting attention. I just think the attention's based on their gimmick, not the somewhat dated & unremarkable music they play.

J.
[/quote]

i play guitar style riffs in my band? does that make me not a bassist? i wouldnt say there stuff is dated? its heavy rock.

but everyone has there opinion i also think thats something thats made ppl take alot of love and hate, gets a band noticed

andy

[/quote]

Yes, it will. In fact, it's pretty much definitive.

I just think the attention's based on their gimmick, not the somewhat dated & unremarkable music they play.

[/quote]

For me this is the crux of it. I heard them before I knew it was just a drummer and a bass player and was thoroughly underwhelmed. Knowing that he gets those sounds through a bass made them more interesting for about as long as it took me to find out what his gear setup was. Now my opinion on them is "cool gear, completely forgettable songs".

Still, life would be boring if we all liked the same stuff.

I got told by an engineer at T in the Park they use a secret hidden offstage guitarist.

Soured it for me.

Unfortunately their 15 minutes of fame are ticking by.

One trick sound which is suited to singles or support slots. Watching them play headline shows is a boring experience due to how one dimensional it is.

Edited by Blowupsexcat