Why become a member? ×

Royal Blood

0175westwood29

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1425541527' post='2708260']
They've got a guitarist hidden backstage who uses a load of pedals to make it sound like he's playing a bass.....
[/quote]

Yep, he's using a music stand too. As soon as I noticed I left

Someone recommended I check out royal blood middle of last year
I liked them. Did start to wonder why all the gigs on YouTube
always consisted of the same songs, got the album anyway
Some of the album tracks ain't as good as the singles
I saw them in Newport too, the drums sounded really good
In all honesty if there was a secret guitarist back stage
They would have sounded better than they did
The octave up stuff through the guitar amps, the distortion wasn't the best,
And it overpowered the low end
the drummer going for walkabouts, pointing at the singer
like hes some sort of god, was taking the piss a bit.
I still like them a lot, and think the singles are great
but in all honesty I regretfully have to say my first experience of them live left me underwhelmed
Look forward to seeing them again in the future in a smaller venue

Ms Phil is raving about them so I had a listen. Don't do a lot for me, but then again, I'm a miserable old git!
All very clever, but I find it boring, but if they can sell records against the latest manufactured popsters, good luck to 'em. At least they can actually play.

[quote name='Old_Ben' timestamp='1425630209' post='2709134']
It is very samey, but they do that thing really well, will be interesting to see how they can change it up on a second album
[/quote]

I gotta agree, I think the 2nd album will make or break them.

Personally think they should just bite the bullet and get a full time guitar player and/or keys, the extra dynamics will do a world of good for there sound I reckon... much like the synth parts with DFA1979.

I'm a fan. I admit the album doesn't grab me in the same way some others do, but I find it very listenable, for the technical side if not exclusively the music. I enjoy hearing what he does, and figuring out the way he does it (I was familiar with octaving a guitar down, but POGing your bass up?! Witchcraft!).

If nothing else, I wouldn't have discovered BassChat if it wasn't for googling 'Royal Blood effects', and now I'm completely hooked on learning about bass effects, new rigs, the best way to hook up to sound desks, trawling the basses which come up for sale... So I guess I have Royal Blood to 'thank' for that...

[quote name='ben4343' timestamp='1425633642' post='2709179']
I'm a fan. I admit the album doesn't grab me in the same way some others do, but I find it very listenable, for the technical side if not exclusively the music. I enjoy hearing what he does, and figuring out the way he does it (I was familiar with octaving a guitar down, but POGing your bass up?! Witchcraft!).

If nothing else, I wouldn't have discovered BassChat if it wasn't for googling 'Royal Blood effects', and now I'm completely hooked on learning about bass effects, new rigs, the best way to hook up to sound desks,[b] trawling the basses which come up for sale... So I guess I have Royal Blood to 'thank' for that...[/b]
[/quote]

You won't be thanking them, trust me. Trawling the for sale pages of Basschat does you harm, it gives you GAS and GAS is an evil mistress :(

Oh good grief I've just seen a lovely p bass for sale...oh the pain and misery, will it never end :( :(

:)

[quote name='Sammers' timestamp='1425632506' post='2709163']

I gotta agree, I think the 2nd album will make or break them.

Personally think they should just bite the bullet and get a full time guitar player and/or keys, the extra dynamics will do a world of good for there sound I reckon... much like the synth parts with DFA1979.
[/quote]

Thing is tho where would you fit a guitar in there sound? Stop the octave up bass thing? Then it's not royal blood any more, its a three piece playing standard rock songs, as I'm guessing you would have him just play bass?

The sound they want is what they have, The riffs can't be the most complex due to the pitch shifting that's happening.

Also of course there singles are stronger than som of the album tracks but I think they are all decent tracks, and I'm not sure I truly understand the comments about tracks sounding the same? I wouldn't say ten ton skeleton sounds like little monster?

But anyway i saw in a interview when some one asked where they go from here the singer said " I dnt know more amps? " but he was referring to his own setup not another member.

Andy

If they stick as they are for the second album then they will have very limited success in the future; it could break them.

What they should do is what took the Black Keys 8 or 9 albums to work out - you'll never be a festival headline band unless you have a backing band. If they keep the bass and drum duo as the main attraction but work it round a full backing band then I could easily see them playing arenas in the next 3-5 years.

[quote name='0175westwood29' timestamp='1425636818' post='2709216']
Thing is tho where would you fit a guitar in there sound? Stop the octave up bass thing? Then it's not royal blood any more, its a three piece playing standard rock songs, as I'm guessing you would have him just play bass?
[/quote]

But why limit themselves to 2 instruments for the sake of preserving a very one dimensional sound? (IMO of course).
I just personally think they've got much more in them than the whole octave, signal split, bi-amping thing

..but what do I know? :lol:

Got a gig next week and the singer wants to have a go at Figure It Out by RB. That's the only track of there's I've heard, decent enough, though I thought the Brit Awards video he sent me was much better than the album version, just sounded clearer on the bass.

It's making for some interesting playing; as he's playing bass like a guitar, it's pushing me in a different direction to how I'd normally play bass which is a good learning exercise if nothing else.

• 3 weeks later...

And now the ultimate accolade, an RB tribute band courtesy of our local serial-band-former Hector... :)

[url="http://www.gigwise.com/features/99281/royal-blood-tribute-band-interview#.VRWD510Q7VA.facebook"]http://www.gigwise.c...10Q7VA.facebook[/url]

Saw them at the Wolves Civic at couple of weeks ago and they were great.Their live sound lacked nothing, was a really good set and Ben on drums was fantastic, all the talk about the band seems to be about the bass but his drumming lays a great foundation for Mike to do his thing on bass. Definitely worth seeing if you get the chance!

They're ok for a few songs, after that my attention drifts. They have some good, catchy songs however, they don't bowl me over.

A drummer the other night was surprised I wasn't a huge fan of them the other night. "...but it's just a bass player and a drummer!" I had noticed :)