Why become a member? ×

Band Meeting Tonight

Weststarx

Hi Guys!

We have a band meeting tonight, after seeing a previous thread here (I cant remember who by) it reminded me how little gigs we have done and made me question why we practice every week.

We've done 10 gigs in two years and have practiced every week for two years. Whilst this annoys me an incredible amount, I really enjoy playing with the guys because we all get on really well and which is what has stopped me from leaving in the past.

I had a look at our upcoming gigs and we have no gigs for a 6 month period after the end of this month. I have made the suggestion that we either have a break entirely from the band or massively reduce how often we practice and only practice once a month just to run through the set list because there really isnt any point in practicing if we dont have any gigs is there?

They didnt agree to this via our group chat saying we will go all rusty etc and that we'd chat about it tonight.

Now I REALLY do not want to be meeting up every week for 6 months without a gig, especially as it takes me total of 2 hours to get there and back so it costs me a fortune. We have recently started to play some god awful cheesey cover songs such as 'I love rock n roll' and quite honestly I would rather be playing some Justin Bieber than those types of songs - so its not as if I'm enjoying jamming.

So if they turn around and say they want to practice every week, I am going to be looking at leaving after our gigs this month. Should I mention this tonight whilst we are discussing it or should I wait until after the remaining gigs we have and then say?

Thanks!

Was thinking the same as Ray, if I'd been gigging that infrequently I'd probably have been looking for another project to 'top up' the gigs to a level I was happy with. The rehearsal/gigging equation is always a tricky one. Some just don't feel comfortable unless they are rehearsing every week and it's more of a social activity than a 'working towards a goal' (ie the gig) one. I think the OP needs to get his feelings out in the open asap and make the band realise they could be looking for a new bassist if the gigs:rehearsal ratio doesn't improve. You can go from one extreme to the other though. I've just handed my notice in with a band I've been in for 2 years. We have averaged 2-3 gigs per month every month for 2 years and in that time I can recall exactly 3 rehearsals.

Edited by KevB

Difficult to say. The last time I left a band, I told them at the end of a rehearsal. I was going to wait until after our last gig for a while but my hand was forced when emails started going around about some potential upcoming gigs so I had to make my move. It was OK in the end, everyone was sad but nice about it, and they made a fuss about the gig being my last, even presented me with a card and a bottle of bubbly.

In my remaining band, if we're not gigging, we're creating new stuff, and that's fine by me. We've not got any more gigs booked (enquiries have been lodged with a few festivals, waiting to hear back), but I can probably get us a gig at a local venue in the not to distant future if we decide to air some of the new stuff. But my real aim this year is to get some recordings done. Something to hawk at gigs. Something to talk about if we get interviewed by blogs/'zines/community radio/whatever. Something to get better gigs with. Band kitty has been (very slowly) building so hopefully we'll be able to spit out at least a 4 track EP or something.

+1 for playing in more bands. Always my preference.

Regarding this band: Would you stay if they did more gigs? Even with the songs that you're not fond of?

If that is a yes, push the more gigs angle. Then mention you'd like to do better songs.

Decide what to do after thinking about the result of the meeting, in a few days.

It amazes me that some people don't realise that if you gig enough then the only rehearsals you need are for new material or new members.

If they can get to practice every week then they can get to a gig every week instead.

Or even 2 gigs a month and 1 rehearsal for new stuff.

I do the occasional dep for my old club band and we don't rehearse for those at all. The main covers band will probably wind down rehearsing level because we're gigging quite a bit now and have a pretty stable line-up of material. If it's a covers band and you're playing the songs pretty much as per record, it's up to people to practice at home to avoid rustiness.

If you're jamming or writing original stuff then meeting up once a week would make total sense

If you're learning/rehearsing pub covers once a week, to only gig 5 times a year, then it sounds like a total nightmare and I would get out now!!!

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1425295255' post='2705844']
+1 for playing in more bands. Always my preference.

Regarding this band: Would you stay if they did more gigs? Even with the songs that you're not fond of?

[/quote]

That would be my preference as well but unfortunately I only have time for one band!

I think I would stay longer but I can imagine after a while I would want to be gigging songs that I enjoy.

Trouble is noone seems bothered about getting more gigs, it been mentioned that one a month is enough for them which for me would be okay as well if we rehearsed less and this band could be pushed aside for something else. I will probably mention that tonight.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1425295073' post='2705842']
I think the OP needs to get his feelings out in the open asap and make the band realise they could be looking for a new bassist if the gigs:rehearsal ratio doesn't improve.
[/quote]

Yeah I think I just need to be completely honest...

The sticking point for me would be the two hour round trip weekly.
I would only justify that myself if there was a good reason for it and you'll
probably find that you don't make enough money gigging with that band to
cover the rehearsals.
I'd form a position that more gigs or less rehearsals is the way from me to go
and if they didn't like that idea, I'd leave..
I undertand that putting a gun to people's head is also not the way to go about things
but I think you've given it a good commitment and things now need to change.

[quote name='Weststarx' timestamp='1425297124' post='2705872']
That would be my preference as well but unfortunately I only have time for one band!

I think I would stay longer but I can imagine after a while I would want to be gigging songs that I enjoy.

[b]Trouble is noone seems bothered about getting more gigs,[/b] it been mentioned that one a month is enough for them which for me would be okay as well if we rehearsed less and this band could be pushed aside for something else. I will probably mention that tonight.
Yeah I think I just need to be completely honest...
[/quote]
There may be common ground for you all if once a month was the figure you wanted to work to...
but getting gigs is also a worthwhile skill or talent so it would probably be you who had to pursue this.
I think any band that works as infrequent as you do doesn't really have gigs as the reason for the band..
so money isn't the issue, and neither is playing live..
This sort of situation/band ethos is to be avoided at all costs, IMO..

I'd mention tonight that 1 gig a month needs to be the goal.. you might find that someone will leave before you
as that doesn't suit them..and therefore you'll have the answer that this band isn't working any more...??

Edited by JTUK

The important point is that all the band members are clear about what the band is for and all agree with it's aims and pathway. I have no issue with hobby bands if it is clear from the outset what the set up is. It could be an outfit purely set up to write and record novel music with little intention of gigging. Fine [i]as long as everyone is on the same page. [/i]The problems start when the band is sold to an incoming member as one thing and then it subsequently transpires it will not live up to that vision.
Westarx, you are paying out more in petrol/rehearsal room hire than you've got any chance of recouping in gigging fees (unless you are on major money for your 5 gigs per year). Is it a hobby that you can afford? If not then something must change.

Edited by KevB

As KevB says; You are in a practice band.

One of those bands where most of the members just want to hang out and play together on a weekly basis and are not fussed about gigging.

However, it's quite common for the members to pretend to want to gig in order to keep the hopes up of other members who would otherwise leave and join a gigging band.

Say nothing at the meeting, play the gigs, then leave once you have found a gigging band.

That's what I always do. :D

Edited by TimR

Maybe they've called the meeting in order to sack the bass player? I've heard he's a bit of a trouble-maker... :P

I take it that the meeting is not at the rehearsal venue, and therefore does not involve a two hour round trip? That just seems crazy to me, unless you live somewhere really isolated.

Something is clearly not quite right - otherwise you wouldn't be on here posting threads about it! :)

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1425299658' post='2705906']
As KevB says; You are in a practice band.

One of those bands where most of the members just want to hang out and play together on a weekly basis and are not fussed about gigging.

However, it's quite common for the members to pretend to want to gig in order to keep the hopes up of other members who would otherwise leave and join a gigging band.

[/quote]

Yeah it makes me recall the last time I moaned about it there was a bit of a scurry around to get a gig and then it all died down again.

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1425300186' post='2705914']
[b]Maybe they've called the meeting in order to sack the bass player? I've heard he's a bit of a trouble-maker...[/b] :P

I take it that the meeting is not at the rehearsal venue, and therefore does not involve a two hour round trip? That just seems crazy to me, unless you live somewhere really isolated.

[/quote]

It would certainly make this decision a lot easier! haha!

It's before or after rehearsal tonight as this all kicked off last night on our group chat on facebook so I would be dragging myself there anyway. I think I will just take my bass, amp and one lead tonight - less to carry out when it all goes sour haha!

Why don't you try and get some gigs for the band to work to?

Say to the band that you won't be attending rehearsal because you have a list of 50 pubs you want to ring and email to ask for gigs. And that you'll do the same thing every other week from now on. End result: lots of gigs and you only rehearse every two weeks.

No point moaning about lack of gigs if you can't be bothered to find work yourself!

The quickest way to find out who wants to gig is ask for a list of free dates from them.

If someone takes ages to provide their list or the list is very short then it's a good indication they're not that bothered.

Alternatively, ask them outright how often they want to gig.

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1425303220' post='2705960']
Why don't you try and get some gigs for the band to work to?

Say to the band that you won't be attending rehearsal because you have a list of 50 pubs you want to ring and email to ask for gigs. And that you'll do the same thing every other week from now on. End result: lots of gigs and you only rehearse every two weeks.

No point moaning about lack of gigs if you can't be bothered to find work yourself!
[/quote]

Yeah I completely see your point here but its been me thats done absolutely everything already so far:

Out of my own pocket I have bought/ had made or sorted out:

Our website, business cards, flyers, posters, band banner, stage lights and PA system.

We had it agreed I 'd sort out all that and the others would find the gigs, so I sort of feel mugged off for all the effort and money I put in. Especially the website because I spent loads of hours on that!

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1425304262' post='2705976']
Do you have a band leader? Bands work best as a democracy. You have a leader that everyone trusts who delegates tasks and makes sure they get done.
[/quote]

I've often debated being that myself because of my previous post but I cant be bothered for a band that I dont really enjoy the type music we play, and because the others decided to find the gigs.

[quote name='Weststarx' timestamp='1425304557' post='2705982']

I've often debated being that myself because of my previous post but I cant be bothered for a band that I dont really enjoy the type music we play, and because the others decided to find the gigs.
[/quote]

Sounds to me that you are the default unelected leader :D

Good luck, sounds like you are in the same place a lot of us have been. Time for a new band.

[quote name='Weststarx' timestamp='1425304429' post='2705981']
Yeah I completely see your point here but its been me thats done absolutely everything already so far:

Out of my own pocket I have bought/ had made or sorted out:

Our website, business cards, flyers, posters, band banner, stage lights and PA system.

We had it agreed I 'd sort out all that and the others would find the gigs, so I sort of feel mugged off for all the effort and money I put in. Especially the website because I spent loads of hours on that!
[/quote]

All that work/admin and expense is the reason you MUST gig, IMO..and I would think it reasonable to
ask for extra payment. It HAS to be worth another equal share of fees to do all that...especially if you haul the
P.A as well....
If the gig is worth £250 and there are 4 of you... then you get a 5th share.
We only used to pay out over £250 as we wanted to pay each member a min of £50,
but on the better paid gigs, it worked out quite well, but also only fair.
Anyone not being able to see, appreciate and pay for the work you do is indeed treating you like a mug...IMO.
I don't mean to wind this argument up..but suspect you are there or thereabouts anyway.. hence the thread..?

I'd lead the meeting tonight with all the extra work you do and where are the gigs as their part of the deal..?
Then I'd hit them with the exe's thing but do be prepared for that to be a deal-breaker to someone.
Someone who hasn't got a clue, no doubt, but you can guess where it might head..?

Edited by JTUK