Why become a member? ×

Fender FSR American Vintage '75 Jazz Bass (Aged Natural) or Vintage 75?

woodywyatt

After much thought Ive decided to sell/trade my Rickenbacker 4003 and go for an original Fender Jazz.
I already have a Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass and love the sound but can’t seem to shake the feeling I want an original Fender (70's style)

So, I’ve narrowed it down to 2 choices, either a new Fender FSR American Vintage '75 Jazz Bass (Aged Natural) or an old Vintage 70’s bass.
Any help greatly appreciated

Difficult one that - I have a 78 Precision and a 2010 Precision, both are great, but if push came to shove I`d keep the 78. That said, many others may think it`s awful. Trying the new ones is easy enough, buying a 70s one, unless you can try before buy, is a bit more hit and miss. Some of the 70s Fender are very heavy, but for me that`s not too much of an issue as I only play short sets, but that`s also something to think about.

Think in your position I`d try a few of the new FSR Reissues and if I gelled with one of those, just get it and be happy with it.

Edited by Lozz196

Are you set on the later Fender 3 bolt 70's style? if not I really love my Fender Road Worn Jazz and Limelight make some nice 60's 'reproductions' J and P basses, the early 60's one I played was lovely but maybe a bit too distressed. If it's a block and bound neck you prefer there's the Fender Geddy Lee, I've not played one but they get a lot of love on here.

3 bolt would be cool but all depends on price I suppose.
Yeah I really love the look of the Road Worn Jazz but the 70's ones have the the bridge pick up further back and I prefer that sound. Don't mind the distresed look really. Haven't heard of Limelight?

It does sound like you need a mid 70's on Jazz then.

Some Limelight basses can be seen here:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/243644-the-show-us-your-limelight-thread/page__pid__2532333#entry2532333"]Limelight[/url]