Why become a member? ×

D. Lakin Basses BG on the way home...

bassmayhem

I couldn't resist this one, bought it from a friend. A nice P-bass in the style of Bob Glaub. Top notch material, well built! It is soon on its way...

The headstock is a bit... awkward, but someone has to try one, and it better be me...

Edited by bassmayhem

They seem to have some great colours, carrying on the Lakland 'tradition', this one looks great.
But yes, the headstock puts me way off unfortunately :(.
Also, probably just a trick of the light, the bridge looks wonky?

Si

[quote name='juliusmonk' timestamp='1425332532' post='2706371']
What's wrong with the headstock? Probably it is lighter and reduces neck dive.. Just guessing

Love the hard case!
[/quote]

I think he ran out of ideas now Lakland have his already stolen from Musicman one! I dont mind it, wouldn't stop me buying one same goes for the Alleva 'paddle', sometimes they look much better in the flesh?

Not a color i would choose but its still cool. i quite like the headstock.its looks to me like a very early P Bass headstock. but i agree Dan should have thought out that Basses font a little more, very generic, i got this from a graphic designers font book.. . would like to hear an in-depth review of this bass for sure.

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1425333186' post='2706383']
I think he ran out of ideas now Lakland have his already stolen from Musicman one! I dont mind it, wouldn't stop me buying one same goes for the Alleva 'paddle', sometimes they look much better in the flesh?
[/quote]with all respect Pete, imo there aren't so many avenues that a bass builder can take to make the perfect headstock. just so happens that Fender and Music Man make great headstocks, that work very well. imo they invented the perfect ones especially the 4 top one underneath 5 string. why make a wheel that is the same as the rest of the wheels and then get criticised because you do so.

the best way to look at any design in that respect, is maybe not "stolen" but perhaps respectfully used and embellished on.

change in electric bass is overrated imo. i think good basic design was established many years ago with bass. when did you ever see double basses change in design.?? instruments are instruments of the music that change around them. just saying.

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1425338033' post='2706425']
the best way to look at any design in that respect, is maybe not "stolen" but perhaps respectfully used and embellished on.
[/quote]

And that's the reason you'll never get a job at Rickenbacker

with all respect Pete, imo there aren't so many avenues that a bass builder can take to make the perfect headstock. just so happens that Fender and Music Man make great headstocks, that work very well. imo they invented the perfect ones especially the 4 top one underneath 5 string. why make a wheel that is the same as the rest of the wheels and then get criticised because you do so.

change in electric bass is overrated imo. i think good basic design was established many years ago with bass. when did you ever see double basses change in design.?? instruments are instruments of the music that change around them. just saying.
[/quote]

TBH I think that you'll find the "acceptability" of the Fender and Music Man headstock designs is based on many years of familiarity to us as musicians rather than being actually any more aesthetically pleasing. Were you to show a election of "Fender-style" headstocks to people who had never seen them before, I doubt the actual Fender ones would come out on top as the best looking.

Double bass design as all about producing the low notes at sufficient volume and with an appropriate tone acoustically to fit into the string section of an orchestra. As a result it's full of design compromises and is actually quite difficult to play. Solid electric bass guitars don't need to have any of those compromises and besides as an instrument it is relatively young and still evolving. So long as it is comfortable to play it can look however you want, which ultimately is entirely subjective. IMO being able to disassociate the aesthetics from the sound generating functions is a great thing as it allows much more flexibility in the design. It certainly improves the playability.

You have to remember that a lot of Fender's original success in the electric guitar market was their ability to undercut the competition. As a result the designs were based on being able to be produced to a price-point using the technology widely and cheaply available in the late 40s and utilising relatively unskilled labour. Being able to produce an instrument that could take on the role of the upright bass but was only slightly larger than a guitar was a great idea, but styling it the same way as their existing instruments and using the same design compromises was not so smart. However in terms of instrument evolution its still early days for the bass guitar, so there is hope yet that the design will continue to develop as far as ergonomics and playability are concerned.

I played one of these Lakin P basses recently and was very impressed with tone, fit and finish. All USA hardware, bone nut and nothing wrong with the headstock IMO. It has it's own appeal. A big plus is you can get at the truss rod. All basses should have easy truss access. I see these as a modern, practical and in some ways improved version of a classic design.

Edited by markorbit

Here is a review of this bass. I wrote Ed Friedland to ask if it is the exactly same bass. I kind of suspect that, since this is number 007. Check some 6:40 into the video:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beKbt1g8PO0[/media]
This bass has 1,5" nut width too; also suggesting it is the same bass...

Edited by bassmayhem

[quote name='markorbit' timestamp='1425381120' post='2706649']
I played one of these Lakin P basses recently and was very impressed with tone, fit and finish. All USA hardware, bone nut and nothing wrong with the headstock IMO. It has it's own appeal. [b]A big plus is you can get at the truss rod[/b]. All basses should have easy truss access. I see these as a modern, practical and in some ways improved version of a classic design.
[/quote]

Another bit Lakin has borrowed from MM :D TBH all basses should use the wheel of fortune system IMO, the Fender ones suck massively and I say that as a Fender lover.

with all respect Pete, imo there aren't so many avenues that a bass builder can take to make the perfect headstock. just so happens that Fender and Music Man make great headstocks, that work very well. imo they invented the perfect ones especially the 4 top one underneath 5 string. why make a wheel that is the same as the rest of the wheels and then get criticised because you do so.

[/quote]

I get what you are saying but at the same time he totally just used the Musicman headstock shape but left the one corner sharp.

Headstock design using straight pull on the strings and larger machines does not leave a vast amount of scope for 'new' design. Function dictates form to a large degree and someone else will have produced something similar to your 'new' design. I quite like the look of it.

Listened to Ed F review and he stated that the Basses are Korean made and will retail at around
$1200... so that could translate out at £1200 by the time it gets here. You'd have to look at it very closely
to spent that money on a Korean bass.
Asthetically, it's ok and the colours seem more interesting... but you are getting into the price territory where
little things need to be very good.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1425819889' post='2711007']
Lakland Skylines sell in that region so it can be done.
[/quote]

Yes, but they only get really interesting when you see them for £700 SH.
Same as American Deluxes, at around £1000 for 5'ers.