Why become a member? ×

NBD - Jay Turser MM

SolomonHelsing

Well my first new bass since my jazz kit 4 years ago.

Caught this on a local shops facebook page, and I wasn't disappointed.

Been wanting a MM style bass for a long time, But Cost and Rareness of Purple ones made this a difficult find.

Feels really nice for the price, fit and finish are great, The join in the body is barely visible, I'd call it one piece if it weren't for being pretty sure I wouldn't find a one piece body at this range of basses.

Likely few around anymore due to the headstock layout.

Vaguely thinking of a pup upgrade with the Retrovibe Stinger pre-amp circuit to get close to the old MM sound.

Albeit I'll put it through its paces properly tomorrow to see what the current one can do.

Oh and here's the pics

Thanks man :)

Yeah it was nice to luck out on a decently built bass with the right colour which I can upgrade the removable parts of easily :)
No sharp fret ends and none raised far as I can tell, so it plays nicely.

Unfortunately I tried it this morning and whether it's the climate change from the shop to my house, or if it was there before and I didn't notice I'm not sure, but there's a pretty bad buzzing coming from the open strings, and I checked the first three frets and I can't see any of them being the source, specially as I know fret buzz and this isn't metallic enough of a sound to be that.

I believe the nut is causing the buzzing, whether it's poorly cut or what I'm not sure. Any ideas?

Least the nut's something I can get a new one cut and fitted, likely my first modification if it doesn't cease.
Not so much annoyed with it as odd how I hadn't noticed it in the shop, Least it's a fixable problem that's with a part I can improve.

I'll give that another look but I've looked at it and it seemed about right for the neck itself, and the buzzing isn't a metallic fret buzz.

I've actually found out Holding the E Or G string Tuner peg, yet not the A Or D ones while plucking eliminates the buzzing.

The G string tuner has been moved at one time and it's not sitting completely flush, So if I have some spare tuner screws I'm going to get that back to sitting level.

Reason I need to track some spare tuner screws is because whoever moved it butchered the screw heads in two of them so I'll need to drill those out probably.

I've got a feeling that's the cause of it, How It didn't seem to happen in the shop is anyones guess, but it might've happened then and I didn't hear it as easily as I do now.

Edited by SolomonHelsing

Well I found out it was a loose part in the tuner, and the way that seems to supposed to tighten it and stop it being loose, doesn't anymore.

Luckily I had my old Tuners from my Jazz bass project so I was able to substitute one of those for the time being till I can afford a full set of decent ones.