Why become a member? ×

What Stopped Gigging for You

blue

I used to love playing live - it was my main driver for being in bands. I'd always been in originals bands, and loved the togetherness of working towards the goal of writing, crafting and playing songs to an audience. The last main band I was in rehearsed on a regular basis, released a couple of albums and did a lot of gigs - including 2 UK tours and some European dates. A lot of commitment. For reasons I have never known, I was punted, by e-mail, from a band I'd helped found and had been with for 7 years. Add in that the remaining members of the band then nicked about £2k worth of my gear (some recovered, some not), and I wanted to be far, far way away from bands for a long time. I was rather disconsolate about the whole thing and wary of putting that much energy and effort into another relationship.

Since then I've found other things to fill the time, which I enjoy just as much and get more satisfaction from. I miss playing live, very, very much, but I don't miss being in a band.

[quote name='Simon.' timestamp='1425466455' post='2707548']...I was punted, by e-mail, from a band I'd helped found and had been with for 7 years. Add in that the remaining members of the band then nicked about £2k worth of my gear (some recovered, some not), and I wanted to be far, far way away from bands for a long time. I don't miss being in a band.
[/quote]

Totally understandable (the bit about not missing being in a band). There are some absolute ***** about :(

Edited for clarity :blush:

Edited by Conan

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1425405671' post='2707017']
I just have no desire whatsoever to entertain other people.

When I've been on stage in the past I have felt no connection whatsoever with the audience. If I felt anything at all it would best be described as indifference or even contempt.

I'm also very much a loner & just don't like the whole "band camaraderie" thing, it's the same reason I've never had any interest in team sports.

I still very occasionally do an acoustic gig with an old friend of mine who is a great singer but I do that because I love hearing her sing - I couldn't care less about the audience.
[/quote]

You sound like a barrel of laughs !

[quote name='visog' timestamp='1425403346' post='2706988']
Hostile/punative venues...

Potential audiences stay at home now... massive cultural change over last 20 years - look at the rise in super-market alcohol sales and correlate to pubs closing.

When audiences do appear, they generally don't want bands any more - only tunes they recognise are 'classics'/featured in films/featured in X-Factor/Radio which leads me to my next point...

Guitar-driven bands old fashioned in this era of Urban/R&B which has been the dominant style form for a little while now.
[/quote]

Thing is, these " styles" move in cycles. Bands will come into fashion in pubs again. Trouble is, it might be after we have gotten too old. I remember when we started out, no one wanted live bands. It was all discos. We couldn't understand it because just a few years before bands had been doing great in our home town. Gradually we got a toe in and then really took off. Now it's back to discos, but I'm sure it's just a matter of time before live music becomes fashionable again.

[quote name='Simon.' timestamp='1425466455' post='2707548'] I was punted, by e-mail, from a band.
[/quote]

That happened to me last year - I didn't have the necessary skill set to do some of the things the band wanted me to do, and my replacement had already been put in place. To be fair at the time, I had two other projects on the go, plus I was going through a tough time in my personal life so it kind of did me a favour.

[quote name='4-string-thing' timestamp='1425468320' post='2707565']
1, Rubbish band-mates.
2, Rubbish gigs that were poorly paid.
3, One band played way too loud so it was uncomfortable to be on stage with them.
4, A general feeling that gigs were more trouble than they were worth.
5, Band politics.
[/quote]

Doesn't sound like gigging was ever really in the blood.

For those just entering or have a strong desire to gig, all of the above can be avoided, however it will take time to find the right gigging band.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1425421030' post='2707272']
Nice! and good luck.

Since I retired from traditional 9-5 work band life has been a dream.

Side topic;

A lot of guys over here work only because they need the health insurance. I would think that is not an issue you guys have to deal with?

Blue
[/quote]

100% with you on this one, my new world is rather different (read better). I have control over the work I take and decline.

We (UK) are lucky we still have a Health Service that is free. It may not be perfect but alternatives (too expensive to treat / insure) seem far worse.

Blue, I like your take on life as shown in your posts. Pity we are both bass players and about 3750 miles apart. Regular rehearsal might prove challenging.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1425421030' post='2707272']
A lot of guys over here work only because they need the health insurance. I would think that is not an issue you guys have to deal with?
[/quote]

It will be an issue we will all have to deal with over here before very long unfortunately.

We briefly touched on the fact that gigging stopped for some due to personality conflicts, uncool band mates and band politics.

Just throwing this out there, when you audition watch carefully on how the members interact and communicate with each other ( beware these guys are usually on their best behavior when auditioning). Going to one of their gigs is always a good idea. A few other things to look out for;[list]
[*]Confirm their gigging history and future bookings
[*]Their process for booking
[*]Pretentious personalities
[*]How long has the band been together
[*]Personal changes, ( how long each member has been in the band )
[*]Experience level of band members
[*]Are the members married with young children
[*]Why is the spot open ( if they bad mouth the last bass player consider it a red flag )
[*]Know it alls
[*]Your bass is questioned if it's anything other than a P or a J
[/list]
Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1425508912' post='2708151']
We briefly touched on the fact that gigging stopped for some due to personality conflicts, uncool band mates and band politics.

Just throwing this out there, when you audition watch carefully on how the members interact and communicate with each other ( beware these guys are usually on their best behavior when auditioning). Going to one of their gigs is always a good idea. A few other things to look out for;[list]
[*]Confirm their gigging history and future bookings
[*]Their process for booking
[*]Pretentious personalities
[*]How long has the band been together
[*]Personal changes, ( how long each member has been in the band )
[*]Experience level of band members
[*]Are the members married with young children
[*]Why is the spot open ( if they bad mouth the last bass player consider it a red flag )
[*]Know it alls
[*]Your bass is questioned if it's anything other than a P or a J
[/list]
Blue
[/quote]

Being at the other end of the spectrum so to speak and having my first true audition/try-out for a band in two weeks hopefully (Haven't had a date confirmed just yet)
This thread has been a pretty interesting read on what to go for/avoid and such.

I'll definitely keep this list in mind when I'm there,albeit I know a few answers already, And my warmoth will truely test the bass questioning part ;) haha.

So I must say thanks for compiling it all in one place about what to watch out for.

[quote name='SolomonHelsing' timestamp='1425859698' post='2711661']

I'll definitely keep this list in mind when I'm there,albeit I know a few answers already, And my warmoth will truely test the bass questioning part ;) haha.

So I must say thanks for compiling it all in one place about what to watch out for.
[/quote]

Thanks, I opinion that even good bands are not necessarily good at auditioning. Ignorance many times will trump logic.

I have heard of stories where guys have been looked over because of the bass they auditioned with was not a Fender P or J.

I am a hollow and semi-hollow guy, however when I audition for a band I really have an interest in joining,I will audition with one of my Fender Precision basses.

Blue

I didn't gig for years due to family and work commitments. Since I started playing again, in my 40s, I've been very lucky with the bands I've been in. The current band is a really excellent, easy-going bunch of guys with a great attitude to making music...no pressure or bullshit, plenty of give and take re song choices, gigs etc. I enjoy gigging now more than I ever did when I was younger. Blue's audition checklist above is spot on - I especially recommend going to one of the band's gigs before committing.

[quote name='Kirky' timestamp='1425941751' post='2712675']
I didn't gig for years due to family and work commitments. Since I started playing again, in my 40s, I've been very lucky with the bands I've been in. The current band is a really excellent, easy-going bunch of guys with a great attitude to making music...no pressure or bullshit, plenty of give and take re song choices, gigs etc. I enjoy gigging now more than I ever did when I was younger. Blue's audition checklist above is spot on - I especially recommend going to one of the band's gigs before committing.
[/quote]

Thanks, just a small clarification. I don't think we need to ask about how the members of the band are paid until your actually offered the job.

Blue

The inability to escape drunken, middle aged twats, dad dancing their way through the set, pausing only to man handle unwilling women onto the dance floor. The last time some grubby little prick grabbed Mrs H by the wrist and tried forcing her to dance, he nearly got a bass in the back of the head.

If that's who I'm playing for...I'd rather not play.

:D

[quote name='paul h' timestamp='1425974556' post='2712813']
The inability to escape drunken, middle aged twats, dad dancing their way through the set, pausing only to man handle unwilling women onto the dance floor. The last time some grubby little prick grabbed Mrs H by the wrist and tried forcing her to dance, he nearly got a bass in the back of the head.

[/quote]

Same happened to me years ago when I had a paricularly hot girlfriend. We started playing a slow number and one of my ageing workmates grabbed her up for a slow dance. His hands started wandering as I was playing, singing and getting very pissed off! What made it worse was , she didn't stop him. She was a real witch!!

[quote name='paul h' timestamp='1425974556' post='2712813']

[/quote]

That's another reason why I hated gigging - the mouth breathing bottom feeders who were inevitably a large part of the audience.
I used to look out into the audience & wish I had a gun rather than a bass.

I got an email out of the blue the other day from the drummer of my old band saying they are getting back together for a one-off gig that they've been asked to headline in September & that they want me to play.
There is not enough money in the universe to even make me consider it.

Edited by RhysP

I love playing with people. I'll jam with anyone.

It the 'not-actually-playing' crap that I can't stand. Trying to get everyone available at the same time to practice, then getting everyone to a gig, sorting out how joint equipment like PA systems are paid for etc etc.

That's why I now play with a local music / educational trust. Never know who is going to turn up each week, just pitch up, get given some music and get stuck in.

Been doing that for about 3 years now. Very happy.

Don’t get me started on ‘not actually playing’! Doesn’t apply to gigs of course, but my pet hate is rehearsals where band members constantly stop to read/send texts, eat, and get into discussions about stuff of sod all importance (or, if it’s that important, why not just deal with it via emails?).