Why become a member? ×

What Stopped Gigging for You

blue

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1426003482' post='2713302']
That's another reason why I hated gigging - the mouth breathing bottom feeders who were inevitably a large part of the audience.
I used to look out into the audience & wish I had a gun rather than a bass.

I got an email out of the blue the other day from the drummer of my old band saying they are getting back together for a one-off gig that they've been asked to headline in September & that they want me to play.
There is not enough money in the universe to even make me consider it.
[/quote]

I did a one-off (on guitar) about a year ago for a 50th birthday party. It was great fun and I was great seeing the guys again.

Some of the guys wanted to put a new outfit together and I really did think about it a lot, and they were even ok with me not wanting to play guitar but only sing - they had a great bassist anyway. Then I remembered all the hassle about getting everyone to rehearsals and that now everyone had jobs with some responsibility meaning less time available, and 2 of us had kids.

But I was still reasonably keen to give it a try...

Then they sent me the set list.... :D Strewth.

So I said no, they got someone else, then the bassist quit, other members joined and went leaving only 1 person left that I knew anyway!

I stopped gigging years ago (probably into the decades now ...eek).
I just got fed up with not knowing where the next £££'s would come from, gigs were starting to slow down and 'backing tracks' were quickly making musicians redundant. And looking ahead to life of cover bands and giving bass lessons to uninterested, unmotivated and mostly undeserving youngsters (I used to teach bass but never actually had any pupils that had any passion or real talent) made me get a proper job.
I do miss getting into the 'zone', but that's about it...

Edited by scojack

Not quite stopped yet but perhaps coming soon. It's my back. This morning I helped Mrs B muck out three stables, turning the beds over and carrying full buckets of water. Then I dug over one of the vegetable beds and some other medium/heavy lifting. But can I stand upright on stage for 2x1hr sets without getting excruciating backpain? Can I buggery. So I've just left my first call band, a band I've been in for 15 years and I'm turning down a lot of freelance work later in the year. I've got one gig a week for the next five weeks and after that I'll have to see how things go. I'm going to miss the gigs, the chat, the laughs. Oh, and another thing: looking at recent photos of live gigs I look very old, embarrassingly old. I'm 74 now.

I feel a lot better now I've got that off my chest. Bit like AA I suppose.

[quote name='bassace' timestamp='1426007923' post='2713370']
Not quite stopped yet but perhaps coming soon. It's my back. This morning I helped Mrs B muck out three stables, turning the beds over and carrying full buckets of water. Then I dug over one of the vegetable beds and some other medium/heavy lifting. But can I stand upright on stage for 2x1hr sets without getting excruciating backpain? Can I buggery. So I've just left my first call band, a band I've been in for 15 years and I'm turning down a lot of freelance work later in the year. I've got one gig a week for the next five weeks and after that I'll have to see how things go. I'm going to miss the gigs, the chat, the laughs. Oh, and another thing: looking at recent photos of live gigs I look very old, embarrassingly old. I'm 74 now.

I feel a lot better now I've got that off my chest. Bit like AA I suppose.
[/quote]

Sounds like you put in your time. I'm 62, I hope I can hang in there till I'm 74.

Congratulations

Blue

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1426013883' post='2713472']

My band can't get away from them either, because I'm on the stage with them.
[/quote]

Me too, we treat gigs as our nights out !

We are all getting on a bit, don't care as much and keep getting asked back, so rock n roll it is !

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1426016251' post='2713516']
Me too, we treat gigs as our nights out ![/quote]

It's interesting how music bands and gigs is different for all of us.

We treat gigs as going to work, performance work.

Blue

For me it's a combination of things but mostly getting tired of it for little reward due to the scene not being so prolific. Also, if I am honest, feeling my age a bit and the fire in my belly going out.

I was fortunate enough to get a record deal. It took 10 years of playing in bands but I got there. It was a dream come true, to go on tour, be on TV, radio, a couple of John Peel sessions, radio 1 road shows, songs in adverts, CD's in shops and to work with big name artists. It took a hell of a lot of hard work, all self driven by the band members and equally as much to maintain it.

When it ended, I admit it was a big pressure lifted off our shoulders. Still, I joined a few bands after but it was never the same. Going from having a tour bus, crew and great gigs to sh*tty pub gigs where nobody was really interested and unreliable band mates was just depressing. I was still really enjoying the playing and songwriting but the frustrations were really setting in. I was so used to every band member giving it 110% and being totally focused to then having to deal with people who would not turn up for sound check, rehearsals, forgetting to buy batteries or strings so they could not play was just off the scale for me. I admit, I had been very spoilt but by now the energy was pretty much gone.

So, for the last few years I've just done some studio work and enjoyed it. I've also enjoyed getting some dream basses and noodling at home. I've also realised that life is too short. I've played for 25 years and had a great innings. I know I have been very lucky having my dream come true and I have a lot of great memories but life really is too short. I want to have another 25 years of new adventures and experiences. I believe it's better to close a chapter and open a new one and only being 44 I still have lots of things to see and do. Plus, nothing stopping me opening a new musical chapter later on in life.

[quote name='Linus27' timestamp='1426023213' post='2713624']
For me it's a combination of things but mostly getting tired of it for little reward due to the scene not being so prolific. Also, if I am honest, feeling my age a bit and the fire in my belly going out.

I was fortunate enough to get a record deal. It took 10 years of playing in bands but I got there. It was a dream come true, to go on tour, be on TV, radio, a couple of John Peel sessions, radio 1 road shows, songs in adverts, CD's in shops and to work with big name artists. It took a hell of a lot of hard work, all self driven by the band members and equally as much to maintain it.

When it ended, I admit it was a big pressure lifted off our shoulders. Still, I joined a few bands after but it was never the same. Going from having a tour bus, crew and great gigs to sh*tty pub gigs where nobody was really interested and unreliable band mates was just depressing. I was still really enjoying the playing and songwriting but the frustrations were really setting in. I was so used to every band member giving it 110% and being totally focused to then having to deal with people who would not turn up for sound check, rehearsals, forgetting to buy batteries or strings so they could not play was just off the scale for me. I admit, I had been very spoilt but by now the energy was pretty much gone.

So, for the last few years I've just done some studio work and enjoyed it. I've also enjoyed getting some dream basses and noodling at home. I've also realised that life is too short. I've played for 25 years and had a great innings. I know I have been very lucky having my dream come true and I have a lot of great memories but life really is too short. I want to have another 25 years of new adventures and experiences. I believe it's better to close a chapter and open a new one and only being 44 I still have lots of things to see and do. Plus, nothing stopping me opening a new musical chapter later on in life.
[/quote]

Awesome story, you obviously worked hard and deserved everything you got. However you didn't say if you were compensated appropriately?

I guess in some ways I'm lucky, I have not and will probably never see the side of the business you did. For me, it's always been bars, clubs and a few festivals and fairs. At times I get upset with myself, but then i know guys of my vintage that have no gigs and no gigs in sight.

blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1426024782' post='2713650']

Awesome story, you obviously worked hard and deserved everything you got. However you didn't say if you were compensated appropriately?

I guess in some ways I'm lucky, I have and will probably never see the side of the business you did. For me, it's always been bars, clubs and a few festivals and fairs. At times I get upset with myself, but then i know guys of my vintage that have no gigs and no gigs in sight.

blue
[/quote]

Thank you. When you say compensated, do you mean paid? If so, then yes, we had a publishing contract, a recording contract and a merchandise contract. We were also wise enough to negotiate how we got our money. Rather than giving us our advance in one lump sum, being 4 youngish guys it would be a financial disaster and it would had been blown on all the trappings of rock and roll very quickly. So we negotiated that we got it paid monthly like a wage. It kept us on the straight and narrow for sure. We also negotiated with the record company as part of the deal to sign us that they would pay for us to all have new equipment. I got £5k so I went to the bass centre in Wapping and got a Musicman Stingray, a Fender Precision and the top of the range Hartke rig. Awesome shopping trip and got to keep it all as part of the agreement when we sued the record company :)

Yeah but you are still playing and doing your trade which has got to be a good thing. You could say I'm a minor has been or flash in the pan but you have sustained it longer than I have. Likewise, you know guys who will never get to gig and that is a real shame as we know how much of a buzz that is. It's all perspective.

[quote name='Linus27' timestamp='1426026732' post='2713676']
Thank you. When you say compensated, do you mean paid? If so, then yes, we had a publishing contract, a recording contract and a merchandise contract. We were also wise enough to negotiate how we got our money. Rather than giving us our advance in one lump sum, being 4 youngish guys it would be a financial disaster and it would had been blown on all the trappings of rock and roll very quickly. So we negotiated that we got it paid monthly like a wage. It kept us on the straight and narrow for sure. We also negotiated with the record company as part of the deal to sign us that they would pay for us to all have new equipment. I got £5k so I went to the bass centre in Wapping and got a Musicman Stingray, a Fender Precision and the top of the range Hartke rig. Awesome shopping trip and got to keep it all as part of the agreement when we sued the record company :)

Yeah but you are still playing and doing your trade which has got to be a good thing. You could say I'm a minor has been or flash in the pan but you have sustained it longer than I have. Likewise, you know guys who will never get to gig and that is a real shame as we know how much of a buzz that is. It's all perspective.
[/quote]

Thanks Linus,

All wise words.

I feel a little better today, a few gigs for May came in today, YEAH!

blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1426027767' post='2713688']

Thanks Linus,

All wise words.

I feel a little better today, a few gigs for May came in today, YEAH!

blue
[/quote]

Ah you should be proud of what you do. You are being creative and entertaining. It's a gift to have a gift you are giving to others when you play. Be proud of it and thankful as not everyone is so lucky. My dad loved music but could not play anything and it frustrated him so much.

I haven't stopped gigging , though I can see it coming soon. The reasons are 3 fold. Firstly , I get more and more fed up carrying kit up and own fire escapes at one in the morning. Secondly , I'm sick of arranging my life around a calendar - constantly making sacrifices out of some sense of loyalty and commitment only for those landlord types I'm committed to cancelling on me last minute. Yet again recently I rearranged a holiday because of a gig and ended up spending £350 more on flights and hotels because the hol runs into the Easter period , only to have that gig cancelled because of a booking mix up. Lastly - much I want to do in life and that same calendar is stopping me doing it. I must be up to 2000 gigs or so now and at there's not many new experiences as a gigging player still to come - I've seen it , done it and the T shirts too tatty to keep wearing. I can get at my local gov.pension next year then I have no reason to even stay in a grey , socially deteriorating chav pit like Wakefield , let alone entertain it's brain dead. New ball game coming , I fancy. I have not yet become comfortably numb !

I'm trying to view my gigging on bass as paused rather than stopped. I left my most active band last year, and have had all sorts of family things going on since then. My acoustic project with the double bass is also on hold for the moment as people are variously building houses, having babies and working long hours. I'm moving house at the moment and I have a couple of guitar gigs in the calendar in April and May but nothing on bass at the moment.
Once I've finished moving, I'll start looking around for people to play bass with again. By now I'm building up a fairly clear idea of how I want that to work, though I'm not set on one particular style.

• 2 weeks later...

Whatever my original reply to this thread was, it’s changed a bit now as I head into what I can only describe as a sort of resignation. My search for musicians who live in the current decade hasn’t gone well – in fact everyone seems to have refused to let their musical influences move beyond about 1985, and most got stuck a long way further back. I’m sick of seeing ads for bands doing Johnny Cash, Elvis, Stones, Led Zep and lots of jangly twangly guitar bilge, so I’m giving up.
Of course I’ll miss the buzz of gigging – only natural to go through a bit of wistfulness – but it’ll give me more time to increase the work output that suffered through rehearsals/gigs. My Times crosswords have reduced to the occasional jumbo cryptic and I haven’t set for the Financial Times in over a year, so it’s time to get active again.
It’s possible I’ll get back into writing and recording but, the way it looks now, I’ve almost certainly retired from band and live work for good.

For many of you that have stopped gigging, life moves on and hopefully to a new exciting chapter. Playing in bands that are more pain than pleasure isn't worth it.

I don't know how much of the drive is left in me. Started gigging at age 12. This past Saturday at 62 years of age I arrived home after a 4 hour bar gig to my empty condo at 2:30AM tired and with excruciating left hip pain.

I'm just not sure how long I can go on with this exhaustion and hip pain.

I love the members of my band and the music we play.

Rock music and gigging is very powerful and hard to kick.

I'll probably keep gigging until someone
( a higher power ) tells me it's time to stop.

BTW, I have 9:30-1:30am this Friday and an 8:00-12:00 on Saturday.

Peace

Blue

[quote name='paul h' timestamp='1425974556' post='2712813']
The inability to escape drunken, middle aged twats, dad dancing their way through the set, pausing only to man handle unwilling women onto the dance floor. The last time some grubby little prick grabbed Mrs H by the wrist and tried forcing her to dance, he nearly got a bass in the back of the head.

If that's who I'm playing for...I'd rather not play.

:D
[/quote]spot on !!!

I stopped gigging because the singer/songwriter I had took a stroke. He's now fine health wise, but has no interest in music at all! :(

I tried getting a band together, but after 2 years of going through various musicians & wannabe singers & guitar bangers, I had enought & quit the band I started. Annoying, as I've got a few songs written & if there were any decent musicians available, we could have had a good run of gigs (contacts from the previous band).

I then joined an electronica band & not long after, I stopped playing completely, I spent too much time on music related things & no time on God. The other things that make gigging hard is 1, I work shifts. Some weekends or evenings I had to cancel due to work & 2, I have a cake business to run. So the times I'm not at the day job, I'm most likely doing something cake related.

[quote name='paul h' timestamp='1425974556' post='2712813']
The inability to escape drunken, middle aged twats, dad dancing their way through the set, pausing only to man handle unwilling women onto the dance floor. The last time some grubby little prick grabbed Mrs H by the wrist and tried forcing her to dance, he nearly got a bass in the back of the head.

If that's who I'm playing for...I'd rather not play.

:D
[/quote]

That is unfortunate, I gig in an established blues/ rock band every weekend in all sorts of clubs and bars with very diverse crowds. I have never seen or experience problems with drunks or men handle unwilling women onto the dance floor.

I think this is an example of how bad experiences in bands can spoil it for some of us.

It's why I always say , pick your bands carefully, know as much as you can about them;[list]
[*]Personalities Responsibilities outside of the band
[*]Their socio-economic background ( I have very little in common with the "well off" )
[*]Politics
[*]Where they gig
[*]How often they gig
[*]Gear and stage presentation
[*]Are they good people
[/list]
I think, and depending on where you live you can weed out bad bars and pubs. There are places that we won't play because we know they are trouble spots and would not serve any purpose to gig there.

Check out my thread [i]" Where Are You Gigging This Weekend"[/i]

Blue

Edited by blue