Why become a member? ×

Four string with BEAD?

graham1945

Had a ibanez soundgear a number of years ago setup like this. Thought I'd invented something new, turns out it's know as a 'baritone', I belive. Didn't have to widen the 'notch' in the nut, as it happens, but obviously needed a setup, what with the string tension being a bit different.

I don't see the point of BEAD. Surely everyone needs to play notes on the G string? As solutions go it seems like a bodge to get around having to do the work required to play a 5 string.

If you want to add a B string to your current instrument just bite the bullet and get a 5 string bass and deal with the fact that is is a different instrument and will require an amount of practice to feel comfortable.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1425386821' post='2706731']
I don't see the point of BEAD. Surely everyone needs to play notes on the G string? As solutions go it seems like a bodge to get around having to do the work required to play a 5 string.

If you want to add a B string to your current instrument just bite the bullet and get a 5 string bass and deal with the fact that is is a different instrument and will require an amount of practice to feel comfortable.
[/quote]

That's a bit unfair to those of us who 1). Can't afford another decent quality bass (and cheap five strings are often not a wise investment) or 2). don't have the time required to "re-learn" playing the bass.

I see the use of BEAD as a sensible compromise for those of us with limited resources (time, money, dedication... :P ).

Edited by Conan

I can't remember ever having to re-learn anything when I started playing 5-string basses. Maybe because it came after a period of mostly playing keyboards or because I also play guitar and in the past had dabbled with mandolin, balalaika and ukelele, so I was well used to dealing with instruments with differing numbers of strings.

I quite like the idea of tuning this way
if just as an experiment, and to see how I get on

Still can't quite get on with a 5 string, despite trying a bit

Here's a link to a similar thread

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/255085-four-string-bead-blues/page__fromsearch__1

Let us know how you get on :)

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1425387559' post='2706740']
That's a bit unfair
[/quote]

OK, the summary of my opinion is, get the right tools for the job. Get the best you can afford and practice.

What's unfair about that?

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1425390483' post='2706790']
OK, the summary of my opinion is, get the right tools for the job. Get the best you can afford and practice.

What's unfair about that?
[/quote]

Did you read my post above? Not everyone has the time to devote to lots of practise and not everyone can afford to buy a five string bass. It is generally agreed that a decent fiver is significantly more expensive than a decent four.

I have been down this route several times myself - buying five string basses of differing qualities and practising with them to try to get to grips with them until I'm happy and confident using them. Despite several attempts I have still not reached that stage and I've ended up selling every fiver I've owned.

With a (more than) full-time job, a family (including three kids) and other commitments; bass playing is not as high a priority for me as it clearly is with other members on here. That's not a criticism, just a simple observation.

If I found myself needing notes lower than E or maybe Eb, I'd consider stringing one of my J basses (or maybe my Status) BEAD. That bass would still (IMO) be the "right tool for the job" :)

Edited by Conan

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1425387559' post='2706740']
That's a bit unfair to those of us who 1). Can't afford another decent quality bass (and cheap five strings are often not a wise investment) or 2). don't have the time required to "re-learn" playing the bass. I see the use of BEAD as a sensible compromise...
[/quote]

I largely agree with this - however I [i]can [/i]afford a five-string and [i]do [/i]have the time to 're-learn' playing it, but I just don't get on with fivers. I would much rather play a four-banger tuned as Leo intended. This arrangement was perfectly adequate for most players and most types of music for most of the sixties and seventies, so why mess with it?

Five-string basses are merely a God-forsaken aberration, the concept of which should not be entertained by any right-thinking bass player - and those that do have way too much time on their hands, or more likely, are closet keyboard players who are 'good with colours' - and as such should be lashed until they drop, then dragged naked by horses through the streets of Deptford (to be shown later on prime-time TV), until they cheer up. There, I've said it. :on_the_quiet:

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1425392810' post='2706829']
I largely agree with this - however I [i]can [/i]afford a five-string and [i]do [/i]have the time to 're-learn' playing it, but I just don't get on with fivers. I would much rather play a four-banger tuned as Leo intended. This arrangement was perfectly adequate for most players and most types of music for most of the sixties and seventies, so why mess with it?
[/quote]

Leo didn't intend anything. He simply made an instrument that allowed guitarists to play the parts previously reserved with those with the time and ability to get to grips an upright bass.

Why mess with it? Maybe because contrary to popular belief it is no longer the 60s or 70s. Besides the 5-string bass with a low B has been around since the late 70s, it's hardly a new instrument in the overall time scale of the solid electric bass.

I've played BEAD in the past - nothing wrong with doing this, I've had basses set up for open C tuning, I've also just detuned the E to D for some material, much lower than D and we were into changing strings and messing.

I suppose its all down to where you view Bass in the music? If you just play for the music an extended range bass may be for you. If your thing is about four strings is all you need, then this is good too.

As regards re learning bass, I recently bought a 6 string and after playing some abject toss thinly disguised as funk, I now play the band set on it and I'm a long way off being a natural musician.

[quote name='No lust in Jazz' timestamp='1425397262' post='2706921']
Dunno - I found that it was Ok for a couple of numbers, but I didn't want to replace or mod the nut to accept the B.
[/quote]

I used light gauge D'Addario's when I did it and the nut only needed a tiny tiny adjustment, it went back the EADG without any fuss.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1425393530' post='2706844']
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]...[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]it is no longer the 60s or 70s...[/font][/color]
[/quote]

Er, yes I know... I thought it was fairly clear in my post that I was not being entirely serious. Obviously people should make their own minds up about whether they want to play four-stringers, five-stringers, fifteen-stringers, a kazoo, a washboard, a penny whistle, the spoons, or even knock one out on the one-string banjo. I'm past caring, frankly. :mellow:

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1425411526' post='2707091']
Er, yes I know... I thought it was fairly clear in my post that I was not being entirely serious.
[/quote]

I wasn't entirely sure if that smiley was just for the last paragraph or the whole post...

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1425412034' post='2707097']
I wasn't entirely sure if that smiley was just for the last paragraph or the whole post...
[/quote]

Yeah, I need to use WAY more smileys... :D ;) :) :P :happy:

Edited by discreet

I can't get on with 5-strings either. I converted a 4-string to BEAD; filed the nut out, set it up again - lovely. And a possibly controversial opinion: if you miss your G-string then you shouldn't be spending so much time on the dusty side lol!
I believe Spector offer a BEAD bass with a 35" scale.
Have you considered an octave pedal? My MXR's awesome!