Why become a member? ×

Rewiring a G&L L2000

Skybone

I'm considering getting myself a G&L L2000 Tribute, I've read the reviews, seen the videos and looked at the specs, and think it's going to be a cracking bit of kit for the money. However, there's one thing about it that really doesn't seem quite right... the single volume control.

I do like to be able to blend the pickups to get that nice tight & punchy mix between both, otherwise, the bridge pickup tends to dominate the sound.

Has anyone ever fitted a concentric volume pot to the L2000?

If you just want to get the balance between the pickups that sounds good to you, rather than being able to adjust the blend on the fly, I would have thought that being able to adjust the heights of the pickups AND the pole pieces should allow you to get the balance you're after.

Having said that, I'd never want to dissuade anyone from whipping out their soldering iron and if you do decide to go for two volumes, I'd be interested to hear how it turns out.

The one mod which I did on my L2000 was to replace the 2 way series/parallel switch with a 3 way switch to give series/single coil/ parallel options. A really worthwhile mod IMO - it extends the tonal range of this versatile bass even further. In fact I use it in single coil mode most of the time.

Cheers for the link Frank, I'll have a good look around that site. :)

Panamonte, you might want to dissuade me from taking up a soldering iron! :D I've replaced pickups before, burnt a few pots out in the process, but never rewired something to that extent. I'm assuming that it should potentially be a relatively straightforward procedure, I know what you're saying about the pickup/pole piece heights, but that will take lots of experimentation, where the concentric pot solution should not only allow adjustment on the fly, but an easier way to balance things out rather than getting the toolkit out every time you want to adjust something.

I do quite a few concentric pot conversions for Jazzes & P/J's - I can honestly say that every body who's had one are very pleased with the versatility & tone range it gives you B)

PM me for more info.

Cheerz, John

• 2 months later...

[quote name='grunge666' timestamp='1425477657' post='2707724']
I have a L2000 Trib.
When you see the wiring in the cavity - I think you'll change your mind! :o

Good as it is IMHO and a go to bass at the minute - I love it.
[/quote]

Yeah, that amount of spaghetti in that space is amazing.

So I ripped it all off mine :lol:

Then I installed a John East MMSR (3-band Stingray preamp).

Then I bought a U-Retro for it, which I never installed...

Now... now it's going to be passive, VVT.

Can't leave it alone :P