Why become a member? ×

Guess the flatwounds game!

Hi folks,
I bought my lovely Longhorn with flatwounds already fitted, but I don't know which brand they are. I've ruled out d'Addarios as the ball ends are brass and the silks are too pale, & I think Rotosounds have red silks.
So sky blue silks both ends, short scale, 48-98, & brass ball ends, guesses please!

[quote name='natjag' timestamp='1425407666' post='2707048']
I have another thread I just started trying to work out brands from the silk on the strings, I have la bella which have blue windings. Could be those.
[/quote]
Do LaBellas have silk at both ends, I thought it was just the ball end?

From here [url="http://www.bassstringsonline.com/La-Bella-Deep-Talkin-Flat-Wound-Single-String-Build-your-own-Custom-String-Set_p_1726.html"]http://www.bassstringsonline.com/La-Bella-Deep-Talkin-Flat-Wound-Single-String-Build-your-own-Custom-String-Set_p_1726.html[/url] - They could be Labella's I'm thinking!

Not sure otherwise. When I see blue I think of chromes, but those look more like Roto nickel rounds, judging by the silks!

[quote name='kristinaelias' timestamp='1425422945' post='2707304']
Do LaBellas have silk at both ends, I thought it was just the ball end?
[/quote]

Just checked my La Bellas, just silk at one end, you are correct.

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='kristinaelias' timestamp='1425406956' post='2707036']
Hi folks,
I bought my lovely Longhorn with flatwounds already fitted, but I don't know which brand they are. I've ruled out d'Addarios as the ball ends are brass and the silks are too pale, & I think Rotosounds have red silks.
So sky blue silks both ends, short scale, 48-98, & brass ball ends, guesses please!
[/quote]

At the bridge end, it looks very like a Rotosound string, but at the headstock, it looks more like GHS or possibly Warwick.

Unfortunately, the silk colour confuses more than it helps, really. So many strings use different colours at different times, so when doing an image search, it's hard to tell whether the image is contemporaneous, or just an old image of a previous manufacture method of the same string.

But Rotosound, GHS, and potentially Warwick, are the 3 companies I would look into. My money would be on GHS TBH. I think their pressure wounds have a blue silk on them.