Why become a member? ×

NBD Hofner Ignition

Twincam

First off, 3 days from Thomann to me, so fantastic service.

Not my Bass actually bought it for my girlfriend as she has been really enjoying me teaching her on my bass (the blind leading the blind phrase comes to mind haha). Wanted something short scale, cool looking, light weight for her. Ticks all the boxes and at a decent price i thought too.

Initial Review.
Average overall quality for the price range. Seems well put together. Ok finish a few very minor imperfections common for price range again. Binding is well done. The tuners are fine! ive seen many reviews saying there not great etc but they seem totally fine to me, smooth, hold tuning fine so far, don't feel flimsy at all, time will tell i suppose.
Electrics work well and feel ok, nothing special but not junk. Pickups im not sure about, initial signs are that they are actually very usable, surprisingly deep and punchy for such a little bass especially at the price point. No odd noises or grounding issues. Certainly sounds like a Hofner even with the cheapo rounds it ships with it had that distinctive sound, hollow body just like the German versions.

Setup out the box was a mixed bag, easy to play but some buzzing issues that needed fixing with minor fret work and new quality strings. Soon as i can i will totally re level, crown, polish the lot. Odd buzzing noises that can't be anything other than the terrible strings it came with, i read they were horrible but i got a shock! if Harley Benton can afford to fit Daddario's then surely all basses should come with usable strings.

Couple of other minor things the fretboard and adjustable bridge are not well finished (the chrome tail piece is fine, zero issues), usable certainly and i doubt will give any issues but would of liked to see them look a bit more refined.

It's a lovely bass really. Very easy to play, addictive in a way. Does get that Hofner sound. Works well finger style despite tighter spacing. Looks very cool in my opinion.

Quick pic
[url="http://s330.photobucket.com/user/Twincam2008/media/IMG_20150304_153946_zps0khl2axp.jpg.html"][/url]

[quote name='police squad' timestamp='1425541414' post='2708259']
pickguard off please a la Macca. [/quote]

I've got one of these in sunburst - first thing I did was take the scratchplate off, in a shameless tribute to him. I also swapped the cheapo knobs for some proper teacup ones, purely for aesthetic reasons. Finally, and most importantly, get some decent strings on it! It will be twice the bass it is now! Mine's wearing Hofner flats, with the green silk windings. The bass thumps so beautifully now, it's a wonderful little thing.

Edited by Cosmo Valdemar

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1425560946' post='2708589']
I've got one of these in sunburst - first thing I did was take the scratchplate off, in a shameless tribute to him. I also swapped the cheapo knobs from some proper teacup ones, purely for aesthetic reasons. Finally, and most importatly, get some decent strings on it! It will be twice the bass it is now! Mine's wearing Hofner flats, withthe green silk windings. The bass thumps so beautifully now, it's a wonderful little thing.
[/quote]

I've got the Jubilee one. No pickguard, teacups and La Bella flats. It's a great sound. Great bass.

Is it wrong i prefer these knobs over the other 2 styles they have.
Not my choice if the pick guard goes, that would be up to the gf think she likes the pearl pick guard which is actually done very well for the bottom of the range model.

Totally agree about the strings they come with yuk!.