Why become a member? ×

Fender Nate Mendel P vs Road Worn Jazz

njr911

I love my RW Jazz mostly due to the neck which just feel "right"

I'd like another Road Worn but fancy something different to complement the Jazz I have.

Does anyone have the Nate Mendel P and the RW Jazz. Are the necks similar ?

Has anyone discovered if the NM is all nitro finish like the Jazz ?

I'd have the RW P but I think the neck might be a bit big for me- this also rules out getting a Mike Dirnt P even though the blond with maple looks the absolute nuts!

My Mendel is wonderful, a great bass.

I found the quarter pounder pickup a bit too much so dropped in an Aguilar 60's pickup which has just made it perfect. I've changed the pickguard too, just to distance it from the foo fighters connection (got a fender 63 pure vintage tortoiseshell one).

http://instagram.com/p/sNOsDQOQfl/

I also have the Nate Mendel, great bass, very light also if that's your sort of thing. The neck is slimmer than usual precision's as is mentioned but to me its more about the shallowness of the neck which makes it seem easier to get around. It is nitro finish and also has the very cool 70's fender precision logo. Finally, it had all the upgrades I would have made anyway without having to do anything. I wouldn't say its completely cured my GAS but it has convinced me to get down to one bass as nothing else felt or sounded as good.

I played a Nate Mendel for a while whilst bass shopping last weekend. Tried it against various P basses and an Aerosyne Jazz. Vs the Jazz I would say the neck is slightly wider at the nut. Enough to make it playable for me, I found the Jazz strings too close around frets 1 - 4. The NM neck is also lovely to slide your left hand up and down. Unlike you, I was put off by the roadworn finish, personal preference. Up close, there are light scratches all over the body that you can't see in the marketing photos. I thought it looked like someone had taken a piece of fine sandpaper over the body, rather than natural wear and tear. I also preferred the pickups on the classic 50's, standard, etc... over the NM. The NM pickups are much higher output and come over all aggressive to my ears. That may also be your preference and if you already have other basses to go to, give you a wider selection of tones to play around with. The NM did feel lovely in the hands though.

I love my NM. The neck is great and like Andy, I preferred mine with the Aguilar AG4P60 to the stock quarter pounder but currently have that back in for a rock project. The nitro finish, thinner nut width and lightness (and the price!) really sold it for me over the competition (classic series, classic lacquer, road worn etc). It's a little bit different and the signature is discreet so it's easy to change it cosmetically and put your own stamp on it too :-)

Might have to try one of these then.

Thanks for your help guys.

I would also change the pick guard as a black guard is a bit too 70's for me. Pickup might also have to be swapped out as I have a Fender Jazz Special if I want to ROCK.

Anyone know where's there a s/h one kicking about ?

Cheers
Neil

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1425560724' post='2708581']
If you're finding the pickup is too hot/aggressive, you guys know the volume control turns to the right as well? Seems a cheaper option than a pickup swap :)
[/quote]

That's not as fun an option though is it? The Aguilar does sound better than the Duncan for what I play though, and as its my main 4 string it made sense.

Forgot to add that mine is ridiculously light too, about 7.5lbs, and has a flamed maple neck which looks pretty.
As I use flats, I was thinking of flogging the badass bridge too.

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1425568979' post='2708707']

That's not as fun an option though is it? The Aguilar does sound better than the Duncan for what I play though, and as its my main 4 string it made sense.

[/quote]

That is true :lol:

[quote name='acidbass' timestamp='1425657389' post='2709498']
Played an NM Precision once and loved it! Really edgy tone with rounds, perfect for pickstyle! I'd say it would sound awesome with a nice set of flats too :)
[/quote]

I think it'll be flats for me. I'm used to my RW jazz wearing flats. My Jazz special has rounds and it always sounds too harsh