Why become a member? ×

NBD J&D mini jazz bass!! Surf green.

Mattmit

Holy crap, can't believe how cool this bass is.

http://m.musicstore.de/it_IT/ITL/Jack-and-Danny-JB-Mini-SFG-Surf-Green/art-BAS0007169-000

Dirt cheap, arrived in 5 days. Very well made, alder body, all the frets, although it's a little hard to reach right at the top compared to my regular jazz bass the the same number of frets.

It's the perfect size, not so small you can't play it just as well as any other bass. I have a feeling the pickups are stock size so you could even upgrade if you wanted, although it sounds good already.

Totally pleased with this.

[quote name='Mattmit' timestamp='1425512570' post='2708195']
Length is roughly 3'4".
[/quote]

Cheers

Smuggling a bass onto the family holiday means widthways in the 3ft 7 car boot. This seems like the cheapest option out there.

Edited by Drax

[quote name='Drax' timestamp='1425514182' post='2708213']

Cheers

Smuggling a bass onto the family holiday means widthways in the 3ft 7 car boot. This seems like the cheapest option out there.
[/quote]

Cheap and really great quality too.

*fffffffstillatwork!!

I took the scratchplate off to sand off the coating of tortoiseshell and was pretty pleased to see there was no routing underneath! I'm going to keep it naked for a while until I get bored of it, then on with the white plate.

Next to my regular jazz for scale comparison. The body doesn't look loads different but the neck is much shorter.

I've got a tanglewood one as well, it feels much more compromised in playability than this one. And the string tension is too low.

On the J&D the string tension was a little slack so I used a couple of ball ends off old strings as spacers to add length to each string at the bridge.

Both me and a mate have bought Black and Tort versions of this bass and we are blown away, for the price we paid (£69+4.99 post) it's certainly a bargain.
Nice player right out of the box, hot pickups/nice sound, 3 ply p/guard, balances well, no neck dive (prob the short neck helps here), as stated before the top end of the fretboard is a wee bit harder to reach compared to my other short scalers (a Bronco and a Stagg J/B style).
For fit and finish this bass beats the others mentioned into a cocked hat, it's that good.
Another strange thing is, the Bronco is a 30" scale and has 20 frets, the J&D is 29" scale and has 21 frets, what's all that about then? :)
We bought our basses from DV247, delivered in 3 days.

http://www.dv247.com/guitars/jandd-jb-mini-4-string-mini-bass-guitar-black--214224

Edited by jimbaby

Man, I really want (but have zero actual need for; is this the dreaded GAS...?) a P bass that I can drag around with me and not stress about. The super cheap price and excellent noises people are making are tempting... I also want a 'project' guitar that I can learn about setting up actions, bridge and neck positions, electronic fiddling etc... It seems like this could be it. Anyone have any experience with the P version?

I'm glad you are so pleased Mattmit!

[quote name='ben4343' timestamp='1425980877' post='2712892']
Man, I really want (but have zero actual need for; is this the dreaded GAS...?) a P bass that I can drag around with me and not stress about. The super cheap price and excellent noises people are making are tempting... I also want a 'project' guitar that I can learn about setting up actions, bridge and neck positions, electronic fiddling etc... It seems like this could be it. Anyone have any experience with the P version?

I'm glad you are so pleased Mattmit!
[/quote]

I'm gonna buy the P on payday. Be irresponsible not to at that price eh! The review on the website is v good.

Edited by Mattmit

[quote name='Groove Harder' timestamp='1425990111' post='2713077']
Matt,

Does it look like a regular jazz knob plate would fit this bass? The rounded one on the J&D is putting me off a bit.

Yes, I know I'm shallow.

Cheers,

GH
[/quote]

I know what you mean. I was thinking about having someone experienced file it into shape.