Why become a member? ×

Advice on a Fiver

Tripehound

Hi there

I wonder if anyone could give me some suggestions on 5 string basses. I had one a while back (an Italia Imola) but found getting used to it more of a challenge than expected and soon returned to familiar 4-string territory. Thing is, I'm playing for a second band (classic rock stuff) and it really looks like that big bottom end is needed so I've started to look again.

I don't want to spend more that £400 and am happy to look at 'pre-loved'. Any suggestions as to make/model? I'm using a Fender Bassman TV15 for amplification...

ESP? Schecter? Spector?

Rather than decide on a certain model, it may be easier to start form the point of view of a budget. Search the for sale threads here and look at everything that falls within your budget range.

It is a buyer's market at the moment (and has been for some time) so there are definitely bargains to be had! :)

Do you really need a five string if you're playing Classic Rock stuff? I'd bet that most, if not all, of the songs you'll be playing were done with a four string.
A lot of stuff (Lizzy, Van Halen & loads of others) were all originaly recorded tuned down a semitone so why not just do that?

Edited by RhysP

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1425592561' post='2709000']
A few BCers on here have the Squier Vintage Modified P5 and rate it pretty highly. Might be worth trying a few out?
[/quote]
One up for sale right now

The new Sire Marcus Miller 5 string jazz basses are getting very, very good reps at the moment.

Only available over here from Thomanns but for £309 inc deliver, with an 18volt preamp, string through body, various finishes you cant really go wrong (unless you dont want any of the above :))

I got one the other week and its definitely on a par with much higher priced basses, although so are the latest Squier CV's etc. The EQ is very, very powerful, and it has a sweepable mid control, although you can run it passively as well.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/search.html?filter=true&gk=giebj5&manufacturer[]=Marcus%20Miller

Another personal recommendation is the Yamaha TRBX 305. Again, its active and the necks are very nice. Still under £400

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1425634399' post='2709185']
Plays loads and get the one with the best B string as quite a lot of them are woeful,
As always, the B string defines a 5 string.
[/quote]

^^^ This.

I've had plenty of five-strings and the variation in the way the low B feels, plays and sounds can be quite astonishing.

Personally I detest a flobbadob low B (YMMV of course) and I steered towards basses with a 35" scale quite a while ago for that reason.

Obviously your preferred string choice will come into this too.

White Cloud said it early in this thread ... do the shops, play loads of 5-string basses, THEN decide which one you like.