Why become a member? ×

signal phase questions

Ant

if i have a preamp pedal which inverts the phase of my signal, placed in a parallel loop with another of the same pedal everything will be fine, but if i then bypass ONE of the preamps (reverting one side of the loop to the original signal) would it have phase cancellation issues even if the bypassed side is ridiculously low volume (as it isnt running through a preamp)

• 2 weeks later...

You won't know how bad it'll be until you try it. Generally, for phase cancellation to be really bad, you need two very similar signals out of phase with each other. You'll have one clean, low volume signal, blended with one effected, high volume signal, which are quite different, so hopefully it wouldn't be so bad

I would rather modify my switching setup so that this didn't happen though. What are you using?

I would also prefer to mute one of the parallel loops with a tuner rather than bypass the preamp and end up with out of phase clean signal coming through which negatively interacts with the other chain.