Why become a member? ×

Macc Ladd!

anaxcrosswords

Having made a few posts without formally introducing myself has begun to feel a bit rude, so let’s get it done.

I’m based in Macclesfield, Cheshire.
Been playing somewhere close to 35 years. Left-hooker.
Started with a dreadful R/H Jedson bass, standard guitar scale, but it taught me the basics. Moved on to an equally dreadful CLI jazz bass copy, or at least it became dreadful after it got knocked over, damaging the G tuning peg. It was never quite right after that, plus the screening pretty much failed completely. After a lull in playing I got a lovely black Aria Pro II, which temporarily had a red fretless sister. Then it was an OK-ish Tanglewood – used for recording but never gigged – and then a Dean Edge when I helped set up the current band. Most recently this was replaced by an Ibanez SR500 which, for me, doesn’t have quite as much oomph but it’s a delight to play. When the band started I didn’t have an amp, so invested in a Line6 300W combo. This is only used for backline – I have a Tech21 emulator feeding into the desk with a parallel out to the amp.
The current band, doing funk, disco, soul & Motown covers, is almost certainly in its final year (I’m leaving whatever happens) and I’m hoping to set up a modern rock/pop punk outfit in 2016, doing contemporary covers and/or older stuff from wider genres but in rock/punk style.

Away from music I have the good fortune to work for myself from home, setting cryptic crosswords for the ‘big’ papers; Times, Sunday Times, Independent, Financial Times and Telegraph (in their Toughie series). The Guardian editor won’t have me though – says I’m ‘too well-known’. So much for reward based on merit.

Bit of trivia: In the final series of Catchword, the BB2 quiz game hosted by Paul Coia, I won my four rounds and reached the final. In the concluding anagram round I slipped up by forgetting the middle initial of a US President. The guy who, because of that, pipped me to the prize of a dream holiday had a terminal illness which nobody apart from the series producer was aware of. Sadly he died before he could claim his prize.