Why become a member? ×

Got an Underwood P/U ….read this!

dove

I came across this whilst reading the forums and wanted to pass on a top tip. If you're using an underwood
pickup on your DB try removing one half from the bridge completely! I did the G string side.
Result….. twice the output and a far more open and present sound. Couldn't believe it.
You're left with a transducer flapping about but it is surprisingly unproblematic.When it's not pinched
in the bridge it seems almost dead so I just attached it to the leading cable out of the way with a
trusty freezer bag twisty thing….job done.
There's probably a scientific explanation but the old ears were enough for me.

Easy to try nothing to loose!

Yes I'm sure phase has a lot to do with it but the underwood has been around forever and generally considered a good workaday pickup,
so if it sounds better with just one half why is the other there???
I'm sure different basses will react differently but like I say,if you're using one,give it a try!

Yep, the old Underwood phase issue. I've always used an Underwood for roots/Jazz/rockabilly and always leave the G side out. I normally have it through the G side bridge eye running through a cylinder of foam. Shadow obviously produce the single paddle pickup as well as the Underwood clone to deal with this. The Underwood sounds great like this :)

• 5 months later...