Why become a member? ×

KK Baby Bass - help wanted with string choice!

bigfishsmallworld

Hi All

I'm new to this forum so thought I would introduce myself.

Been playing electric bass for a good many years and currently playing an American Fender Jazz which has been stripped back to the bare wood including the neck and then professionally oiled. Pickups have been modified as have the machine heads to give a retro feel and it plays great!!

As a change instrument I have just bought a KK baby electric upright. It came supplied with nylon coated strings after some discussions with Kris about which strings we thought best. I love the punchy sound of the bass but would like a bit more definition from the strings which are a bit muddy sounding particularly on the low E. I use D'Addario pro steels on my Jazz and so I'm used to a clean sound.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to the best strings for me given that I play mostly pop, rock, rock n roll and ballads.

Also would you recommend a pre amp to shape the sound better? I am at present going direct into a Gallien Krueger 400RB head with a 1 x12 neodinium speaker cab.

All help gratefully received.

Welcome aboard, and the KK BabyBass is a good choice ... I use mine extensively, especially in the smaller venues.

Choosing alternative strings for DB and similar is a horribly expensive thing to experiment with. In your position, I'd just phone Kris and ask for his opinion. He's a really nice guy and very helpful, plus he knows exactly which strings work best with his own basses.

As for the preamp, it really depends on whether you'll be playing through your own backline, or going through the house PA (or, of course) both at once. In most situations I find it best to have a preamp with me, but not one designed for DB like a PlatPro.

I've had the best results with an MXR M81, standard pedal size (i.e. small) but very versatile and with the functions/features you're actually likely to need when playing a KK live. A decent alternative is the Hartke Bass Attack, but I'd steer clear of the Sansamp range for this particular application.

Good morning, bfsw, and ...

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:167528]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Much here to inform, amuse and share. Hop on over to the EUB and DB section; they'll soon sort you out with answers...[/font][/color]

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/forum/14-eub-and-double-basses/"][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]EUB and Double Basses ...[/font][/color][/url]