Why become a member? ×

Erm... where does this bit go..?

discreet

I need to re-assemble a Squier bass tuner... but there are two bits I'm not sure about. There's a metal plate with a hole in it for the string post to go through, and another exactly the same but made from clear plastic.

Which way round do they go and in which order? I thank you!

I suppose I could take one of the other tuners apart to find out, but I'm afeared of compounding the felony...

I thank you again! :)

I'd guess the plastic bit goes between the metal and the wood, to stop the metal scarring the surface?

It might be possible to loosen another one, rather than dismantling it completely, so you can see how it goes together?

Edited by alyctes

Looking at mine at the back of the headstock I see the worm wheel (the large cog), then I think a thin plastic washer, then a roughly rectangular piece of metal that comes into contact with the worm (on the tuning peg), then I think a metal washer and then the mounting plate. HTH

Ahh... I think I've got it, now... the metal bit goes on top of the backplate and protrudes under the tuner thread to stop it touching the headstock, and the plastic one goes on top of that but under the cog to prevent wear between it and the metal bit... I think... seems to work, anyway. :)

:)

I did that with a car once - I changed the brake pads in a Cortina (ok, showing my age here) and found a slim piece of rusty old tin lying on the floor once I had finished so I binned it. Took it for a drive round the block and every time I touched the brakes there was the most incredible shrill squealing noise. I discovered that the 'bit of rubbish' was actually quite important and called the anti-squeal shim. One of a catalogue of car DIY disasters that led to me always taking my car to someone who knows that they are doing.

My Mexican Fender P had similar shims, a black plastic material on top of the metal shim. After about 9 month they shredded and fell out. Sometime later I got a slight buzz from the E tuner. Took it apart, re-assembled and its been OK. Your post #6 seems to be correct.
Bin them before they fall out.