Why become a member? ×

Annoying VST fault

Bilbo

I mentioned this before in another thread but I am struggling with some annoying traits with my VSTs. If I set up a VST and it seems fine when I play it back. I then stop the track and, when I play it again, I have click on each midi track to start them playing again. This means I cannot record against any midi track that starts at beat one of the first bar. Also, whatever level I set it at, it always plays back at some sort of default volume. What am I missing, guys?

it sounds like a global setting type issue if they are all doing it , I don't know cubase either , I don't even know Reaper really :D

It might not be relevant but I always leave a bar or two at the start so I get the chance to hit record and then get my fingers in the right place to make the first noise :)

I have used Cubase for years and never had this, one thing I would suggest is removing all Vst and vsti -DLL. to a new folder then bring them back a couple at a time, that sometimes works when things go wrong. You could away try a uninstall and reinstall the program again.
Even when you sort it is always good practice to render most VST instruments to Audio. not only does it take the load of the CPU and ram it also makes life a lot easier if you need to revisit a project.

First off Rob, does this just happen in a current project?
Or all the time?
Elimination process I am afraid.
Do you use the mod wheel on your midi controller,
is it set all the way up?

It sounds like midi cc#'s related.
You can usually avoid stuff like this if you don't Start recording
at bar one ( bar two onwards etc), this allows you to set or reset
Midi cc related values, mod wheels and expression etc.

Although moving .dll files and re-installs can sometimes help,
I would have thought it a bit drastic at the moment,
it does seem Midi related.
I have a bit of time later, I will see if I can recreate your problem.

Solo the track you want to bounce to Audio.
On the bar at the top, go to file (left hand side).
Then in the drop down - Export - Audio Mixdown.
Name the track - path will be your project folder.
File format - Wave file.
Audio Format - mono or stereo etc
Import into project - tick the two boxes Pool and Audio track.
Then click export.

Looks more difficult than it really is.
I know you are on an earlier version, so trying to go by memory.
I am on Cubase 8, and it is easier than above these days.

Hope this helps.

bilbo if you copy and paste the whole project 4 bars forward (to account a lead in of 4 bars)
then save it as another name say (********* take 2)
shut it down then open it again by right clicking on the track (open with.... cubase)
does it still do it ?

Or as a long winded trial can you save the files as seperate files, and the wavs as stem files, then open new project, then import your midi files one by one, trying each one as you do so to find the culprit, ( a poss program change ? check the inspector of each midi file)
i had something the similar and found a program change hidden in the hihats of all things,

Comon bill you can do it, its just software :dash1:

forgot to ask, the midifiles you are using, have you downloaded any of them from the net ?
if so and are using them as part of your song then allsorts of probs can happen.

i some times use midi drum pattons downloaded
, and when i midi them out to my drum machine they keep resetting my drum machine
everytime i pressed stop, this was down to the program changes in the midi file,
which can be found by using the inspector of each midi file,
to find the inspector click "help" then look in the A to Z for the inspector,
it will give you more info

it may help, sorry if all this sounds like gobbleflabblebobbingdom flubble fluff flancake :P

• 2 months later...

I was having this problem again last night. Fortunately it was a bass VST so I can revisit it with a real bass without any problem but it remains annoying.

Strangely, it seems to happen only with some software. Whenever I use my Miroslav Philharmonik, it all works ok but if I use a Halion player loaded with soiund files, it all gets a bit unstable and things chage unilaterally without notice, I was using an edirol orchestral VST last night and, whenever I changed a patch to marimba, if I stopped the track and started it again, the marimba turned into tympany because tympani was the default for that channel.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1433496928' post='2791489']...I was using an edirol orchestral VST last night and, whenever I changed a patch to marimba, if I stopped the track and started it again, the marimba turned into tympany because tympani was the default for that channel.
[/quote]

Ha..! I recognise this..! I don't use the Edirol VST any more for this very reason; it doesn't memorise the instruments selected with the project..! The solution..? Use the Edirol DXi instead..! Otherwise identical to the VST, with the same performance et al, but the instruments selected are retained when saving the project, and are thus recovered when coming back to it. I spent ages trying other options; this one works.
Hope this helps.

Cubase stopped supporting DXi way back, on the advice of Dick Turpin.
The only way, would be to use a DXi wrapper.
(It was a known Roland Edirol problem back in the day)

For using Edirol as a VST, IIRC, there is a fix/work around involving resetting c## information at
the beginning of the midi track, or another way, saving Edirol as a performance, not an Instrument.

Some stuff here that might help sort the problem.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Edirol%20%20Orchestra%20resetting%20instruments%20to%20default.&newwindow=1&gws_rd=ssl