Why become a member? ×

Boss micro-br80..anyone use one of those?

RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE

I used to have the Micro-BR not the 80 model, but it's younger brother, t'was very handy for on the go recording and basic practising, but don't expect 'Pro' Results, you'll have to have a good few hours playing around with it reading the manual to get used to it, the interface wasn't the most user friendly, don't know if they have improved it on the later model

To be honest I hate having to figure out how new things work and did get a bit frustrated on the first day working it all out but since then its been great, i'm really pleased with it.

Only down side I can think of is that I once tried the live record function at a full band rehearsal and even with the gain set as low as possible (1 out of 100) the internal mic still clipped like hell... having said that the built in mic really isn't that bad for acoustic guitar etc.

oh actually there is another downside... well just annoying really. For some bizzare reason when you connect an instrument it defualts to running through a "blues crunch" FX preset. Which isnt really a problem as you just turn it off but still.... why have it on as a default?

Cheers rob;) bizarre really. Back in the days of recording hifi in the'80s/ '90s, I used to love making tapes/ understanding peak metres etc. I understand GarageBand now, but like mobile phones , you have too many options and things get over complicated.
My pet peeve is the graphic display. I just prefer basic peak metres hence my need for one of these.

I also have the BR-80. Great bit of kit. Simple to use once you get your head around the three modes: multi-track recorder, eband and live rec. Also works well for silent practice with headphones.

I have mine on my pedalboard at the end of the chain before my amp to be able to simply record ideas when practicing at home. It has a 3.5mm out but I bought a Grado 3.5mm to 1/4" connector which is excellent. Downside of this approach is needing to turn on BR-80 if this is in the signal path - but then that's no big deal

I probably wouldn't use it for multi-track recording but to simply record ideas and then dump them in Logic to manipulate. But then others may well do as that's just the way I prefer to work.

I've had one for a good while & have never fully got to grips with it but use it for basic quick demo' ing ideas, then refining those "live" single track takes into 3 or 4 track demos to present to the band. Guitar on track1, perc trk2, bass trk3 & vox trk4 is the most i've done. Its not the most intuitive to use but once you get used to the way it works its ok. Effects are very usable especially for guitar. I never got around to getting an external mic for vocals, which would make things easier. Exports in various formats onto sd card easy.
Bang for buck pretty good for quick demo ideas IMO.

We also use a fostex (?) similar little box to the micro-br80 that belongs to the drummie for recording at rehearsals, although last weeks results from his new gopro camera were amazing quality, sound & picture!

• 1 month later...