Why become a member? ×

GK 2001RB buzzing when stood close

Ant_On_Bass

Basically I'm clueless when it comes to these sorts of electrical problems. i have buzzing coming from my GK head when i stand close to it, I've tested a Hartke head through it today and the buzzing does actually disappear, I've tried multiple leads, speakons and changes in location with no change? i was wondering if a power conditioner would sort the problem? obviously i'm not going to be stood close to the amp all the time but it can't be right as it is?any help would be appreciated Cheers Ant

When it is buzzing try the following. Turning 90 degrees, Turning strip lights off, hands on strings / hands off, moving further back from amp, moving round amp to different positions - change orientation by 90 degrees for any position. It sounds like em field from transformer being picked up by pickups. There are solutions.. as above humbuckers, shielding cavities, active pickups e.g. emg. One of my humbucker basses will hum when right next to amp but once a few feet away all is fine. With Telecaster guitar I can sit and play on valve combo. Sat one way iot hums, loudly. Rotate through 90 degrees and the issue goes away. If it really bugs you you could get an amp with torroidal transformer, these tend to be much lower in radiated field.

Edited by 3below