Why become a member? ×

Pickup for a Lyte

tom1946

Hi all, I have a mint Precision Lyte with the P/J setup and acitve pre', I find the P pickup weedy but the weight is perfect for me so the question is:
I have a spare SD-SPB-1 pickup going spare so would it go straight in as a direct replacement? would it cause any issues doing that?

I know I should get a better preamp but it's wasted on me, I don't ever use the J pickup. I just want a lightweight precision out of it.

thanks for any help/advice.

Physically, it will drop right in. The original pickups are passive so will work with those electronics. Tone wise, it depends what you're after.

Checkout my thread here: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/246760-fender-precision-lyte-tone"]http://basschat.co.u...ision-lyte-tone[/url]

I have gone through a similar process, so can empathise. Went through a few preamp/pickup combinations, till I finally worked out that what I wanted was my JV Squire in a lighter package. So I decided to go all passive and got a RI '62 but wasn't keen on the thumpy tone. Then went for a SD SPB-1 and it's exactly the tone I was after, as it's a more '57 P based tone. I have a KiOgon loom with a 3-way pickup selector, vol and tone.

I would try with the actives at first, because they were quite transparent, IIRC. I wanted a pure P tone and that's what I got with that pickup soloed with the 3-way toggle. Not exactly like my JV P but close enough.

EDIT: as an aside, I still have the J pickup at the bridge and it sounds good to my ears but I never use that soloed, only in combination with the P.

Edited by Sharkfinger

With regards to the preamp, rather than the pickups - I have one and when it arrived I discovered the pre-amp was knackered. With excellent timing I managed to pick up a 4 knob J. East U Retro that appeared for sale within a few days and that really has given it a great range of sounds. although it has to be said that none are that old school woody Precision thump. As with Sharkfinger above, I use the J pickup blended with the P pickup to give a passable Jazz tone. Great basses, though - the neck is amazing and the lack of weight so useful on bad back days.

Funnily enough I've always found the P pickups very ballsy on my Lytes, with the J pickups possibly lacking
a little as well as being prone to interference. To that end have replaced the J's with Fender Noiseless
pickups, which seem to balance well with the P and are hum free too.
Love P Lytes, would be lost without mine.

Guys, thanks for the input,
I don't use the bridge J pickup at all, I do like the SPB-1 sound, it's perfect for me so I'll replace the stock one for that and see what it's like. My back's quite bad again so I need to do something. Just wanted to check that I wouldn't do any damage.