Why become a member? ×

SOLD - Selmer Treble'n'Bass 50 S.V. Head restored
£200

JapanAxe

I have to admit I am not using this amp, and I have my eye on something a bit special, so I am offering it for sale.

It is a late 70s Selmer Treble'n'Bass 50 S.V. You can see my restoration thread [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/223999-nad-selmer-treble-n-bass-50-sv/page__fromsearch__1"]here[/url]. Briefly I have replaced all electrolytic caps, made the mains wiring safe, and tested all the valves - all good and most likely original, including a pair of Mullard EL34s.

It is now far better than when I got it, although there is still the occasional click here and there.

I never did get around to fitting an IEC mains inlet (although there is room on the rear panel), so it still has a short trailing lead with an in-line inlet (see second pic below), which can be tucked away for transport.

The external condition is a bit tatty, with Tolex worn away and some paint on the underside, and the Selmer cover is split up one side, but the sound and volume are pretty exceptional. I just plugged my Les Paul in and wound it up, and it does that thing where single notes go all fat and singing without sounding obviously distorted. Check out someone elses's YouTube demo:

[media]http://youtu.be/ZIAXXbwOXDA[/media]

It has speaker outputs labelled 7.5ohm and 15ohm. 8ohm and 16ohm loads are fine but 4ohm would likely stress the valves and/or output transformer.

As a bass amp it is probably not a realistic gigging proposition, as peaks in level cause audible distortion quite early on.

I am looking for [s]£200[/s] [size=5][b]£160[/b][/size]. This would be by collection or meet-up within an hour's drive of Swindon or Oxford. You are welcome to bring your own cab to me in Swindon for a try-out. I really don't fancy entrusting this to the likes of My Herpes or ParcelFarce!

No trades - sale only thanks, like I say, I am saving up!

Edited by JapanAxe

[quote name='MOSCOWBASS' timestamp='1426153187' post='2714894']
I had one of these at the time.....great amp, used to link the channels. Nostalgia :D
[/quote]

So did I, I'd have this like a shot but just had to pay out nearly a grand to have the engine fixed on my bike.

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1426156673' post='2714962']
So did I, I'd have this like a shot but just had to pay out nearly a grand to have the engine fixed on my bike.
[/quote]

Time to start saving then...

When I say 'just paid', I mean as in this morning! I also bought 2 1/2 basses and a sansamp DI last month. I also think my very tolerant wife doesn't really deserve a fourth amp in our rather small lounge!
But the Selmer is a lovely amp, I used mine for quite a few years through a variety of cabs. I'll mention it to the band at rehearsal tonight, our guitarist and drummer both live in Swindon.

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1426166038' post='2715120']
When I say 'just paid', I mean as in this morning! I also bought 2 1/2 basses and a sansamp DI last month. I also think my very tolerant wife doesn't really deserve a fourth amp in our rather small lounge!
But the Selmer is a lovely amp, I used mine for quite a few years through a variety of cabs. I'll mention it to the band at rehearsal tonight, our guitarist and drummer both live in Swindon.
[/quote]

Cheers Dave. BTW is that 2x1/2 basses = 1 bass, or 2.5 basses?

[quote name='geoff90guitar' timestamp='1426443074' post='2718110']
The 4 ohm thing with hamfist is irrelevant with a valve amp regarding sound to the ear.
Yes, you'll certainly notice the sound volume with a trani but valve, na. Buy it if it's your thing.
[/quote]

Although I am led to believe you can safely go up or down in impedance by a factor of 2 (i.e. 8ohm will work ok into 4ohm to 16ohm), I am not about to recommend it on a piece of semi-vintage kit that I am selling!