Why become a member? ×

Strings. Changing the guage

NoRhino

If you are changing gauge only, but manufacturer and model of string are staying the same, then a heavier gauge will commonly increase tension and lower compliance.

If you are changing manufacturer and model of string then, whatever the gauge, there is no way of telling without knowing which strings - manufacturer and model - and knowing how that model is constructed.

• 4 weeks later...

i went from D'addario EXL190 to EXL170 and the difference in tension was quite noticeable with the D & G strings going from 40 & 60 to 45 & 65. E & A strings stay same but it did surprise me a little. The increased tension and reduced vibration does seem to have reduced the slight fret buzz when playing that little bit harder on occasion and seems to have cured the tone drop out issue i was having on my Jazz bass.

Dave

[quote name='NoRhino' timestamp='1426013640' post='2713467']
My strings of choice - or habit - are 45 - 105 on a P bass.

What will be the most noticeable difference in changing to a heavier gauge?
[/quote]

The biggest difference is likely to be in the feel of the string. The next biggest thing will be the tone, which might not be massively different (assuming it's just a heavier gauge set of the string you already use), but there will be a perceptible increase on your bass end.

If you're changing brand, all bets are off, though.

• 2 weeks later...

I could use help with this because I currently use Dunlop Super Brights .45-.105 but they are balanced tension and I find I could do with a bit more resistance as they're a little bit flappy. They don't do a heavier gauge, so I'm wondering if the best bet is just to get the same gauge from a different manufacturer which aren't balanced tension? Price is a massive factor too unfortunately, and while I'd love to try a set of DR, Elixir or Thomastik, I ain't shelling out that kind of dough for four lengths of wire. I saw GHS Boomers at a reasonable price but was a little put off by a reviewer who said he hated the feel of them.

As someone said in another thread, strings are a "minefield" and it could take years of trial and error to find the perfect strings for me. Would be a lot less painful if they weren't so darned expensive, but at roughly £20 for a cheapish set, it"s not something you can experiment with over a few weeks.

A well set up bass and a good right hand technique takes many string "issues" away.

If you're trying to "dig in" with your right and have to use a "gorilla grip" with your left you're making things more difficult for yourself and any differences in strings will be accentuated, possibly to the point of making a set unplayable.

I hardly notice the difference between my light Dunlop Brights and my flat wound Lakland strings.

You don't say whether you're using steel or nickel Dunlops (I believe they do both in the Super Bright range). D'Addario do 50 - 110 sets in both steel and nickel; in fact the EXL230 nickels look to be a bit of a bargain on Amazon at the moment at only £13.99 with free P&P http://www.amazon.co.uk/DAddario-EXL230-050-110-Electric-Strings/dp/B000OR8BP0 (in fact I'm tempted to get a spare set in myself) and the EPS230 steels are £17.99 with free P&P from Strings Direct http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/strings-c1/daddario-daddario-4-string-eps230-prosteel-stainless-steel-55-110-long-scale-heavy-bass-strings-p1201

HTH

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1429178753' post='2748747']
You don't say whether you're using steel or nickel Dunlops (I believe they do both in the Super Bright range). D'Addario do 50 - 110 sets in both steel and nickel; in fact the EXL230 nickels look to be a bit of a bargain on Amazon at the moment at only £13.99 with free P&P [url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/DAddario-EXL230-050-110-Electric-Strings/dp/B000OR8BP0"]http://www.amazon.co...s/dp/B000OR8BP0[/url] (in fact I'm tempted to get a spare set in myself) and the EPS230 steels are £17.99 with free P&P from Strings Direct [url="http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/strings-c1/daddario-daddario-4-string-eps230-prosteel-stainless-steel-55-110-long-scale-heavy-bass-strings-p1201"]http://www.stringsdi...s-strings-p1201[/url]

HTH
[/quote]

I'm not allowed to advertise on here, but suffice it to say that there is another online string retailer which sells EPS230 for less than £17.99 and includes free delivery.

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1429174875' post='2748706']
I could use help with this because I currently use Dunlop Super Brights .45-.105 but they are balanced tension and I find I could do with a bit more resistance as they're a little bit flappy. They don't do a heavier gauge, so I'm wondering if the best bet is just to get the same gauge from a different manufacturer which aren't balanced tension? Price is a massive factor too unfortunately, and while I'd love to try a set of DR, Elixir or Thomastik, I ain't shelling out that kind of dough for four lengths of wire. I saw GHS Boomers at a reasonable price but was a little put off by a reviewer who said he hated the feel of them.

As someone said in another thread, strings are a "minefield" and it could take years of trial and error to find the perfect strings for me. Would be a lot less painful if they weren't so darned expensive, but at roughly £20 for a cheapish set, it"s not something you can experiment with over a few weeks.
[/quote]

HowieBass has the right idea in suggesting that you get a set of D'Addario ProSteels - Very bright, good clarity, lovely rounded tone, they last reasonably long. They do feel a bit different to the Nickel Wound strings. They feel slightly more coarse, I suppose, but they are a very well made/finished string. The coarser feel has never really bothered me a great deal. I find Nickel Strings often a bit too "slippy".

Edited by MiltyG565

Thanks guys, I am using the nickel Dunlops as I want minimal handling noise and minimal fret damage. I had looked at the ProSteels and was interested. How are they for handling noise?

My technique is fairly light on both hands, but I like a little leeway to dig in on occasions without flap/ping that light strings often produce. My concern about movig up a gauge was how quickly my hands would fatigue.

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1429206394' post='2749279']
Thanks guys, I am using the nickel Dunlops as I want minimal handling noise and minimal fret damage. I had looked at the ProSteels and was interested. How are they for handling noise?

My technique is fairly light on both hands, but I like a little leeway to dig in on occasions without flap/ping that light strings often produce. My concern about movig up a gauge was how quickly my hands would fatigue.
[/quote]

Perhaps you should look at it as more of an opportunity to improve your hand strength and speed. If you can play a heavy string competently, you have gained a new skill and expanded your abilities :)

Not sure how the ProSteels compare to the Dunlops for "handling noise". Being a bright string, you can get a few more clanks and screeches out of them, but I've never found it excessing or bothersome. YMMV, I guess.