Why become a member? ×

Stack pots for a 60's Road Worn Jazz Bass?

Karl Derrick

I got a lovely Fender Roadworn 60's Jazz Bass from another member here.
Thanks ED!

:)

It's a great bass. The neck is just brilliant.

I was wondering about the possibility of adding a stack pot control plate, as on the 60-61 Jazz.
The thinking is to add an individual tone for each pickup, rather than the single master tone control.

Thoughts?

Karl

Not sure if you're aware Karl, before you go down this route, that having a tone control for each pickup is not as versatile as it may sound for passive instruments. If you have the tone rolled off on one pickup, tone full up on the other, and the volume up on both, they will both be rolled off (no treble).

So you can't, for example, have Neck pickup with tone rolled off plus bridge pickup with full treble (you'll just get both with the treble rolled off until you turn down the neck pickup vol. or turn up the neck tone)

I think this is one of the main reasons Fender changed the design, as it can be a bit fiddly on a gig.

But if you're aware of that, and it's what you want, Ki0gon is your man! :)

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1426689832' post='2720831']
If you have the tone rolled off on one pickup, tone full up on the other, and the volume up on both, they will both be rolled off (no treble).
[/quote]

Hmmmm. I didn't know that... :blush: Can a stack circuit be adapted to allow for this and allow tones to be set individually for each pickup?

Edited by Conan

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1426690876' post='2720853']
Hmmmm. I didn't know that... :blush: Can a stack circuit be adapted to allow for this and allow tones to be set individually for each pickup?
[/quote]
You can set the tone for each pickup yes, but if you have both pickups on and one is rolled off, then they will both be rolled off. Same thing as with Gibson style guitars and basses with passive 2 vol 2 tone configuration - they just have a switch to make pre-setting easier, but in middle position (both pickups full on) any tone rolloff will apply to both.
The only exception I think, is if you have an output for each pickup going into a mixer of some kind (e.g. micro mixer), or indeed two separate amps - but we're way out of stacknob territory here.

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1426696801' post='2720950']
You can set the tone for each pickup yes, but if you have both pickups on and one is rolled off, then they will both be rolled off. Same thing as with Gibson style guitars and basses with passive 2 vol 2 tone configuration - they just have a switch to make pre-setting easier, but in middle position (both pickups full on) any tone rolloff will apply to both.
The only exception I think, is if you have an output for each pickup going into a mixer of some kind (e.g. micro mixer), or indeed two separate amps - but we're way out of stacknob territory here.[/quote]
It can be done. If you don't mind having the stacks closer together, use a standard 4-hole control plate and wire it with two stacks and two jacks, a stereo and a mono, Rickenbacker style.

Thanks Meddle, I did not know that about the original stack pots. Very informative.
I also use a bass cut for the bridge pickup on a few of my basses, generally I have it as a push/pull on the master tone control though, with a series/parallel switch on the master vol. It makes for a pretty versatile passive set-up.