Why become a member? ×

Aguilar TH500 distortion issues...

Conan

Having recently acquired one of these amps, I am happy with the "warmth" in the tone and the control over the midrange - both of these factors were important to me in choosing a new amp to replace my Hartke LH500 :)

However, I am having problems getting a truly clean (i.e. undistorted) sound from the amp. Even with the gain set on [i][b]zero[/b][/i] (and the drive fully off) there is some break-up! :huh:

Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a way around it?

There are no centre detents on the tone controls, but am I correct in assuming that they offer cut and boost, and therefore would be "flat" in the 12 o'clock position?

I'm confused... :mellow:

Edited by Conan

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1426156850' post='2714964']
Edit to ask, what are you putting it through?
[/quote]
[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1426156934' post='2714966']
Which bass are you using?
[/quote]

Cab is a Barefaced Big One. I've tried the amp with three passive jazz basses - A CIJ Geddy Lee with EMG pickups, A J&D 1975 with Toneriders and a MIM Fender with the stock pickups. None of them are high-output basses...

If I was using a Spector I could understand! :D

Edited by Conan

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1426158085' post='2714986']
I don't think it should be distorting that easy, it's not a crappy guitar lead in the chain or something like that?
[/quote]

Nope. I only use quality cables (OBBM at the moment).

[quote name='JamesBass' timestamp='1426159153' post='2714999']
Change cables, then if that doesn't work, engage the -10db pad and see how that effects it?
[/quote]

Tried that. It helps with the distortion, but the level is too low...

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1426160698' post='2715024']
Have you or can you try it with another cab...
Some cabs are notoriously 'inefficient' and need a lot of driving
and it may be the amp hasn't the guts for it..??
[/quote]

That cab is fine with 500 watt heads in general - the amp shouldn't have an issue with it.

Edited by Mudpup

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1426160698' post='2715024']
Have you or can you try it with another cab... Some cabs are notoriously 'inefficient' and need a lot of driving and it may be the amp hasn't the guts for it..??
[/quote]

There are other cabs I can try, yes. My cab never had any issues with my old Hartke, and it was fine with the TC RH750 I (briefly) owned.

[quote name='Mudpup' timestamp='1426161347' post='2715037']
That cab is fine with 500 watt heads in general - the amp shouldn't have an issue with it.
[/quote]

Exactly. Barefaced cabs are very conservatively (i.e. realistically) rated. It's nominal impedance is 6 ohms, so its not as if it is drawing the maximum power from the amp anyway - 300/350 watts maybe.

Edited by Conan

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1426165968' post='2715117']
I have Drive on full, and Gain at 12 o`clock, and even then only get break-up when I hit the strings hard on my passive Precision.
[/quote]

Hmmmm. That's not what I wanted to hear... :(

This sucks. I hate to say it, but I run my gain and drive both at 11 o'clock, maybe gain at 12 and drive at 10 o'clock; or thereabouts and also have a clean tone. Do you boost the EQ loads or run the master really high?