Why become a member? ×

Aguilar TH500 distortion issues...

Conan

The TH500 will run very clean at high volumes and really shouldn't be distorting.

I've heard, and used, them at all sorts of venues and cranked pretty hard. You can get them to distort but not if you're careful with both gain and drive controls.

[quote name='nickademus' timestamp='1426194836' post='2715617']
If the Big One has an Eminence 3015LF in it then that is causing the problem.
[/quote]

Really? Is it some sort of compatibility issue then? That seems strange... :blink:

Maybe seeking Alex's advice would be sensible at this point :)

[quote name='M@23' timestamp='1426194107' post='2715602']Do you boost the EQ loads or run the master really high?
[/quote]

Master is usually around 12 o'clock or less. At first, I did have the treble and mid level set pretty much full on (but bass at around 12 o'clock). Since then I have tried to reduce the levels on the EQ, but it hasn't had much of an effect. :(

I take on board the comments about the cab, but that still doesn't explain why the amp would be distorting (or making any sound at all!) with the gain set at zero (fully anti-clockwise) :huh: I don't see how that can be anything to do with the speaker... But I'm no expert mind! :D

Edited by Conan

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1426175943' post='2715287']
The Big One was the most inefficient of them all.
[/quote]
[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1426179145' post='2715340']
Goddamit it's about the amp man! :P
[/quote]
[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1426179407' post='2715346']
Clearly.
[/quote]

It wouldn't be so bad if you were trying to be helpful, but all you are doing is making snide comments because this thread mentions the Barefaced word. You are quick to refer to BF users as "fanbois", and yet look at your own username! Or is that ironic? :rolleyes:

If you have something constructive to say, I'm all ears - but otherwise, haven't you got something better to do? <_<

Edited by Conan

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1426233095' post='2715829']
It wouldn't be so bad if you were trying to be helpful, but all you are doing is making snide comments because this thread mentions the Barefaced word. You are quick to refer to BF users as "fanbois", and yet look at your own username! Or is that ironic? :rolleyes:

If you have something constructive to say, I'm all ears - but otherwise, haven't you got something better to do? <_<
[/quote]

If you look back at the thread, you'll notice that I did not start any negativity towards Barefaced cabs. In fact, I do not make any snide comments towards them at all. With regards to the inefficiency of the Big One, it is a well known fact that the Big One required a lot of power to get it working to it's potential and Alex commonly said to users that the reason that they weren't getting the most out of their new purchase is that they weren't using an amp with a high enough output. In fact, his recommended amp of choice at the time was the Hartke LH1000 - due to it's large power output. In fact, I had a young chap come to me after the forum widely suggested the BigOne would be the answer to all his problems when he was driving it with a 250w amp. He saved hard, bought the BF cab and had miserable results. It was never going to work - and the BF response - the amp is the problem. No, the amp isn't the problem - that amp was plenty loud enough to gig with, it just needed pairing with the right cab. Bad advice from the forum and bad advice from BF because they knew the BigOne needed an amp with serious output to drive it properly.

With regards to the "Goddamit it's about the amp", I was trying to bring the thread back to being about the Aguilar because discreet seemed to be concentrating on talking us about his experiences with his Big One which was clearly a defence of the cab rather than anything to do with the Aguilar and your problem.

My "Clearly" comment was a response, again to discreet, which was tinged with sarcasm because there is clearly a problem with the Aguilar and BigOne combination, otherwise there would not be this thread. It happens - as i have mentioned early in my response. He was mounting an attack on me over an apparent Bareface "attack" when in fact, I hadn't actually mentioned anything negative about Bareface at all. All I had said is that the Barefaced BigOne is an inefficient cab in terms of power in to spl out... which it is and which is widely acknowledged.

And where have I referred to "fanbois"? The problem with this community is that everybody sees the "EBS_freak" handle in a Barefaced thread and assumes that there is slagging off... but if you read my comments, they are based on the truth, yet people seem to warp them into some sort of attack. With regards to my username, everybody is entitled to use whatever username they want... fan boy or not. With regards to irony, yes, there is some irony in it, because I currently don't actually use any EBS gear whatsoever.

Anyway, back to point... Frankly, handle problems, feet problems, distortion problems et al shouldn't be presented on cabs of this price point.... but if people want to buy them, that's their right. But me pointing out the deficiencies of a cab whether it be Hartke, Barefaced, EBS (yes, you'll see that I slag off their single 10s and singles 12 neos - cos they are absolutely rubbish), Aguilar, or whatever, is also my right. Nobody likes their choice of gear being criticised but it's life, so take that cotton wool off.

If you want some advice, check out your amp with another cab. Hey, you may even like it.

Edited by EBS_freak

[/quote]

How so? The 3015LF appears in many different types of cab, PA and otherwise - and if it has a reputation for causing distortion this is the first time I've heard about it. I owned a Barefaced Big One and used it with a G-K MB500 Fusion with no issues whatsoever. It's a great cab. If the driver were at fault why would this only manifest itself with certain amps? It makes no sense at all. But then I'm no expert, either...

I was going to say the same as EBS... you need to pair the amp with another cab and eliminate whether the amp is faulty.
It may well be..as no one who has a TH seems to recognise this issue. It may also be a bad pairing which may
be an issue if you tune a cab to HAVE to be driven hard.
My general feeling is that Class D don't have much guts to start with.... but that is another issue that isn't, for the most part,
too obvious to a lot of peoples ears..or they compromise because weight of the amp is the main selling point..??

Definitely run with another cab to point the issue at amp or cab..???

Edited by JTUK

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1426239578' post='2715922']
If you look back at the thread, you'll notice that I did not start any negativity towards Barefaced cabs. I hadn't actually mentioned anything negative about Bareface at all. All I had said is that the Barefaced BigOne is an inefficient cab in terms of power in to spl out... which it is and which is widely acknowledged.
If you want some advice, check out your amp with another cab. Hey, you may even like it.
[/quote]

OK. Fair points in retrospect, and when you take the time to put your comments into context (as you have done here - thanks :) ) then it all makes sense. Your original comment did come across as a bit of an unhelpful dig though...

Thanks for the advice. I will take it! B)

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1426240087' post='2715936']
Definitely run with another cab to point the issue at amp or cab..???
[/quote]
[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1426240569' post='2715950']
Have you tried running the amp into a headphone amp or similar? Just to test if it's the preamp that's distorting
[/quote]

So far I have done neither of these things. But they are both on my to-do list :)

The cabs are all down at the rehearsal room but my amp is at home, so I can test it through headphones.

I remember Alex saying he liked the Carvin B2000 (which runs at 2000w at 2ohms) with some of his cabs because they needed lots of power to make them work well.

Have you tried the Aggie into another cab?

That would be a simple test if it's working Ok.

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1426241422' post='2715967']
I remember Alex saying he liked the Carvin B2000 (which runs at 2000w at 2ohms) with some of his cabs because they needed lots of power to make them work well.
[/quote]

I could understand this if the problem was low volume, or if the amp was running flat out and distorting - but the amp is barely ticking over (in terms of the gain and master settings) and I have plenty of volume. The problem is that I can't seem to get a [b][i]clean[/i][/b] sound!

I also find it odd that I would get any sound at all when the gain is set at zero. Does anyone else who owns a TH500 experience this? :huh:

Edited by Conan

Some amps do have volume if gain set to zero (mine does but it's a master volume only and a valve pre).

We've sold out of TH amps in the store but I've written direct to Aguilar for you to ask about the zero setting delivering volume. They are in NYC so might take some time to respond.

Just to check - is this happening with both drive and gain set to zero?

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1426242803' post='2715992']We've sold out of TH amps in the store but I've written direct to Aguilar for you to ask about the zero setting delivering volume. They are in NYC so might take some time to respond.

Just to check - is this happening with both drive and gain set to zero?
[/quote]

That's very good of you - thanks! :)

In response to your question - the answer is yes. :(

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1426241609' post='2715969']
The problem is that I can't seem to get a [b][u][i]clean[/i][/u][/b] sound!
[/quote]

You need to try all permutations, to try to isolate the "issue", but I wouldn't be surprised if this is the "problem".

The TH500's fat, warm, vintage vibe isn't clean enough for you.

I think this amp sound fantastic with my Berg cabs, but IME they tidy up the sound of all amps. Barefaced will tend to output what is input.

Edited by chris_b

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1426243146' post='2716000']The TH500's fat, warm, vintage vibe isn't clean enough for you.
[/quote]

I suspect you may be right... although other owners seem to be able to get a clean sound (or at least what sounds clean to them through their cabs).

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1426239578' post='2715922']
(...)
The problem with this community is that everybody sees the "EBS_freak" [b]handle[/b] in a Barefaced thread and assumes that there is slagging off...
(...)
[/quote]

I saw what you did there! LOL ;)

Jokes aside, i'm i right to assume that there's no valve on the TH500? It could be the culprit. If it doesn't have a valve it may need to get checked by a tech, it shoudn't distort at all especially with the drive at 0.

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1426244013' post='2716019']
I suspect you may be right... although other owners seem to be able to get a clean sound (or at least what sounds clean to them through their cabs).
[/quote]

Can you get someone local to you with another TH500 so you can compare both?

I've just run gain AND drive at zero and I get volume.
I wouldn't say this is usable but it would play..

I normally run gain at 12, master at 12 and drive at 2...
Bass is around 10 and this setting would do a pub gig with a 'clean'
sound if I upped the volume to around 1pm.

FWIW, I don't consider the drive to be gainey or driven, tbh... or not compared
to a valve pre amped unit..

Once every option has been tried I'd strongly suggest a final test in a new location with a selection of power leads, instrument leads and speaker leads. There is a small chance that the power in the studio is either poorly earthed, reversed polarity or very high/very low on voltage or just has something dirty online nearby, all of which could be an issue here. Anyone that went to the Manchester bass days will be well aware of the lighting farting out all the amps on the upper level atrium! Just dotting the Is and all that before you send it off anywhere :)

Good point Pete - I remember having an issue with a PA tweeter due to a sh*tty earth. Sounded like somebody had slashed the cone with a razor blade. Turned out that the refrigerator units that were on the same power line were having quite a nasty influence.

I have a similar cab (fEARful 15/6) which has that driver in it and it distorts with all three of my 500w Mark Bass amps (LM11, F1, F500) but not with my Hartke ah3500.

Hope this helps :unsure:
[/quote]

Cant see it being that really, not having these issues with either a Dubster or a Fearless 15/6 with a LM3.