Why become a member? ×

Aguilar TH500 distortion issues...

Conan

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1426247990' post='2716102']
There is a small chance that the power in the studio is either poorly earthed, reversed polarity or very high/very low on voltage or just has something dirty online nearby, all of which could be an issue here.
[/quote]
[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1426249499' post='2716116']
Good point Pete - I remember having an issue with a PA tweeter due to a sh*tty earth. Sounded like somebody had slashed the cone with a razor blade. Turned out that the refrigerator units that were on the same power line were having quite a nasty influence.
[/quote]

Ah! I hadn't thought of that. The wiring is definitely dodgy in our rehearsal room... I'll bring my cab home next week and give it a try at home. If it [b][i]is[/i][/b] the power supply that is causing the problem then that is still a problem, but one that I can put up with knowing that my amp (and cab) are OK :)

[quote name='nickademus' timestamp='1426194836' post='2715617']
If the Big One has an Eminence 3015LF in it then that is causing the problem.[/quote]
[quote name='Raggy' timestamp='1426250695' post='2716128']
Cant see it being that really, not having these issues with either a Dubster or a Fearless 15/6 with a LM3.
[/quote]

Well, I had a response from Alex Claber indicating (very clearly!) that the driver [b][i]isn't[/i][/b] the issue... However, it may be some form of capacitance problem between the amp and cab and that using a thinner, longer cable might help... It's certainly an easy one to try! :)

Edited by Conan

All the way from the amp's designer himself:

"Regarding your questions:

1) Yes, the input gain doesn’t go to “zero”. To turn the volume off completely, turn down the gain knob.

It was designed this way so head would have a great gain structure in the preamp and a low noise floor.

2) If his bass is superhot and he turns up his onboard preamp all the way, he could add 20 to 30 dB of gain to the input of the amp. That could cause clipping of the input stage.

No damage or shutdowns; but it might sound more gritty than he wants it. In that case he may want to use the input pad switch. Also, he should be using the input gain and the master interactively to get the cleanest (or dirtiest) sound.

Lastly, the drive knob adds gain, and hence distortion. For the cleanest sound he can turn the drive all the way down."

Hope this helps :)

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1426255894' post='2716230']1) Yes, the input gain doesn't go to "zero". To turn the volume off completely, turn down the gain knob.

2) If his bass is superhot and he turns up his onboard preamp all the way, he could add 20 to 30 dB of gain to the input of the amp. That could cause clipping of the input stage. Also, he should be using the input gain and the master interactively to get the cleanest (or dirtiest) sound.

Lastly, the drive knob adds gain, and hence distortion. For the cleanest sound he can turn the drive all the way down."
[/quote]

Thanks for contacting Aguilar Molan - but the answers reveal that something might have been slightly miscommunicated... :huh:

1) With the gain knob on zero there is still volume!

2) None of my basses are "superhot" - and none of them (other than my Status, which I haven't yet used with the TH500) have onboard preamps. The three I have used so far are all passive J basses :blink:

I have tried all available combinations of gain and master settings. Gain on full and master on low gives distortion, yes - but not much more than I seem to get all the time! Gain on [i][b]zero[/b][/i] and master up high reduces distortion, but not by all that much. I don't use the "drive" control at all as I am trying to get a clean sound first before I colour it up deliberately! :)

So thanks again for your input, but I'm not sure I'm really any further forward! :D

Edited by Conan

For info I use mine with a Barefaced Super 12T. Maybe I get more gain/distortion than I really think, but unless I hit the strings hard it`s probably more "hair" round the sound than actual noticeable distortion itself. Even then, when hit hard it`s not like fuzz or anything, just break-up of the sound. But then I do scoop the mids a bit, and have treble up on full - I`m sure if I were to up the mids it would be much easier to hear.

There are a few problems with the design of the crossover used in the Fearful 15/6. I can't speak for the Barefaced equivalent, although I believe it's more or less the same design.

More specifically, the crossover causes the system impedance to drop by nearly a half in exactly the area where the amplifier is expected to produce its maximum power, between 100 and 200Hz. This will cause the impedance phase angle to plunge close to -60 degrees in the same area. Together, these produce something of an amplifier-crushing load that not all amps will be able to drive satisfactorily.

To test the theory, just disconnect the 15" driver from the crossover and connect it directly to TH500. Or, as already been suggested, try another speaker.

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1426257665' post='2716258']

Thanks for contacting Aguilar Molan - but the answers reveal that something might have been slightly miscommunicated... :huh:

2) None of my basses are "superhot" - and none of them (other than my Status, which I haven't yet used with the TH500) have onboard preamps. The three I have used so far are all passive J basses :blink:

I have tried all available combinations of gain and master settings. Gain on full and master on low gives distortion, yes - but not much more than I seem to get all the time! Gain on [i][b]zero[/b][/i] and master up high reduces distortion, but not by all that much. I don't use the "drive" control at all as I am trying to get a clean sound first before I colour it up deliberately! :)

So thanks again for your input, but I'm not sure I'm really any further forward! :D
[/quote]

He's saying you can still get volume with gain on zero.

However if it's distorting with gain on zero and master on a low setting then either there's a cab problem or something wrong inside the amp.

Given how light the amp is I'd get down to your nearest guitar shop and try it through any other cab.

That will immediately tell you if there's an amp issue

[quote name='stevie' timestamp='1426259412' post='2716284']
There are a few problems with the design of the crossover used in the Fearful 15/6. I can't speak for the Barefaced equivalent, although I believe it's more or less the same design.[/quote]

I thought Alex designed his own crossover.

Hi Conan

I had a go through one of these at Electro music in Doncaster last year and I distorted in the way you describe, I pointed this out to a member of staff and they said it must be faulty. Of course this might be unrelated totally to your issue but it rang alarm bells when I read the original post here.

Hope you get it sorted soon!

The gain control on the TH behaves in a somewhat different way from the gain control on many other amps - the best explanation of how it works that I've come across is in paragraph 2 of this review:
http://www.jazzwisemagazine.com/pages/jazz-instrument-reviews/62-amplifiers/13126-aguilar-tone-hammer-500-bass-amplifier

Hope this helps, but my apologies if I'm just telling you what you already know!

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1426257665' post='2716258']

[/quote]

It does sound like it might be faulty. As a reference point, I'm running an ordinary Fender Jazz into a TH500 and a Barefaced Super Compact. Leaving Drive on zero, I can confirm you get a signal with Gain at the minimum, but it's clean. As I increase the gain it begins to distort very slightly around 12 o'clock, and it's only by 3 o'clock it's producing a saturated overdriven sound.

Thanks for the continuing input folks! :)

I've been away for the weekend, but I did try the amp through headphones last night - or at least I tried to as it has no headphone output and the speaker outputs are speakon only... I plugged into the send socket, which probably doesn't offer anything useful. It sounded extremely quiet, but also distorted. Not sure I'm much further forward there!

Wednesday is rehearsal night so I'll aim to get there early and have a fiddle with different cabs. leads, etc.

Putting all the little bits and pieces together so far, it is sounding like I might have a faulty amp :( And I've just got it as well...

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1426604538' post='2719759']
you need a headphone amp of sorts, then plug the send into the input of the headphone amp (sounds like you plugged the headphones straight into the send?!)
[/quote]

I did... because I don't own a headphone amp (and have never needed one before!).

Hopefully tomorrow's rehearsal will clarify a few points, but I will bring my cab home with me too so that I can do some more investigation in comfort should I need to.

Used the TH500 again last night, and the result was much better :) So maybe the power supply is (at least part of) the problem? I still played the entire set with the gain set at zero. I find this perplexing!! :blink: :blink:

Couldn't try the guitar lead as the amp only has speakon outputs. Couldn't try other cabs as I only had a speakon-speakon lead with me and all the other cabs had either jack or XLR inputs :rolleyes:

But maybe my ears are just getting used to the sound through this amp? It was still (what I would call) a bit distorted, but I'm starting to think that maybe this is just part of the characteristic tone of the amp. Some call it "warmth" or "vintage character" and so on - but I hear it as mild distortion! :happy:

I'm still coming to the conclusion that this is not the amp for me... so anyone who is interested in one, form an orderly queue! :D

Edited by Conan

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1426754517' post='2721483']
Used the TH500 again last night, and the result was much better :) So maybe the power supply is (at least part of) the problem? I still played the entire set with the gain set at zero. I find this perplexing!! :blink: :blink:

Couldn't try the guitar lead as the amp only has speakon outputs. Couldn't try other cabs as I only had a speakon-speakon lead with me and all the other cabs had either jack or XLR inputs :rolleyes:

But maybe my ears are just getting used to the sound through this amp? It was still (what I would call) a bit distorted, but I'm starting to think that maybe this is just part of the characteristic tone of the amp. Some call it "warmth" or "vintage character" and so on - but I hear it as mild distortion! :happy:

I'm still coming to the conclusion that this is not the amp for me... so anyone who is interested in one, form an orderly queue! :D
[/quote]

Me me me! I might offer the f1 as part of a trade if you are interested?

Matt

[quote name='Matt P' timestamp='1426768835' post='2721706']
Me me me! I might offer the f1 as part of a trade if you are interested?

Matt
[/quote]

Ha ha! I was wondering how it would take you to pop up Matt! :D

I'll drop you a PM and we can discuss options :)

[/quote]
If Matt doesn't want it, I'd love it if you're interested in an Ashdown CTM 300?

[quote name='JamesBass' timestamp='1426772338' post='2721762']
If Matt doesn't want it, I'd love it if you're interested in an Ashdown CTM 300?
[/quote]

They sound great - but I have no cash to make up the difference at the moment... unless you are talking about a straight trade of course? ;)

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1426772643' post='2721770']
They sound great - but I have no cash to make up the difference at the moment... unless you are talking about a straight trade of course? ;)
[/quote]
Sadly, I'd need the cash difference to let me buy my new cab otherwise I'll have an expensive but light paper weight! ;)

[/quote]

I tried one today, clean as a whistle with the gain wound up to around 11:00. Absolutely no distortion whatsoever.

Still not sure if your amp is at fault or the speaker. Until you try it with another speaker you won't know for certain but it definitely sounds like there's an issue with the amp somewhere.

I'm assuming it's out of warranty so you can't get it checked over by the UK Aguilar people?

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1426812019' post='2722371']I'm assuming it's out of warranty so you can't get it checked over by the UK Aguilar people?
[/quote]

I traded it on here and as far as I am aware, the warranty is limited and non-transferrable.

I have also been advised that there may be a capacitance/compatibility issue with the Big One, but I haven't been able to try his suggested solution due to the speakon only outputs on the amp and the fact that all my speaker cables are short and high quality...!

Also, at the end of the day, I am frustrated by the interaction of the controls and suspect that this amp is just not for me. Such is life!

I run mine at 12, 12 and drive on about 1 and I wouldn't call that a drivey sound and certainly nowhere
near the grind I can get out of an SWR SM amp...which I don't really go for, but it is 'honest' break
up from the valve stage.
For what it is worth, I don't really go for SS distortion anyway..