Why become a member? ×

GHS Fastfret - why?

Funky Dunky

Not exactly a huge gamble to buy a tin and see for myself, but I like to get opinions first.

If you've used this, what are your experiences in terms of pros and cons? Is there any advantage to be gained? Does it affect the tone or playability of your strings? I can't help but think it would make your strings grubby!

I used some on my strings when I used to use steels (use Elixirs now and they stay fresh sounding for ages in my experience).

At the time I thought it was magic - after a gig I'd use it and wipe the strings down with the cloth and I'm sure it helped keep them fresh sounding.

I used it on a really old set and felt it brightened them up, too.

I didn't mind the feel of it - used sparingly and wiped away afterwards it wasn't really noticeable.

Also it smelled quite nice :)

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1426181556' post='2715380']
For myself, I use flatwounds, so they are slinky smooth anyway.
[/quote]

+1 This works well! :) I'm currently using La Bellas, and they are as smooth and shiny as a slow-worm. Remember them? :)

I'm a big fan of fast fret -- not because it makes the frets "fast."

It cleans strings and frets. It's a quick way to do it. And if you use it after you play, there's less buildup of gunk in the first place.

Strings last longer.

Also good for getting the gunk off of the fretboard that builds up.

The excess oil should be wiped off.

I've been using it for years, but I appreciate that it's not for everyone. In my case
- I have relatively dry skin
- I like a relatively bright tone
- I move around the neck a lot
so I've found it good for reducing the friction under my fingertips, and for keeping my rounds sounding a bit brighter for a bit longer. I should add that I've even taken to using on my fretless, which is strung with flats, again for keeping the friction down. Yes, you do have to wipe away the excess, not to mention a lot of fluff, but I find it's a pretty convenient way to quickly spruce up the strings before a gig.

That, and most of my basses have a rosewood board (or similar), and I'm in the camp that believes it helps to rub some oil into the wood - my guitar tech friend agrees with me, but warns me that the jury is still out on the matter!

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1426180906' post='2715371']
Save money and kill two birds with one stone by eating a KFC, then without wiping your hands, play the bass.
Feels about the same and is just as attractive, IME. Horrible stuff.
[/quote]

If it was good enough for Jaco...

Great stuff! Been using it for years... You DO need to keep a DECENT cloth on standby to wipe down strings afterwards, as the strings DO feel sticky
etc if they are not wiped down thoroughly. It can be made last indefinitely by spraying WD 40 on the business-end periodically... AFAIK that is in fact the lubricant (or a close relation) .Then again you can boil the strings briefly too to get rid of gunk and re-energise strings and further lengthen the string life-span.. :) Glad to see the quality control guys at GHS have seen fit to re-introduce metal tins and generally tidy up the whole package - the plastic etc of the recent past was a real rip-off and an insult to any self-respecting customer. That's why I used the WD40 option... Now that they seem to be treating customers with respect once again, I might actually buy it more regularly...

When you've used it for a bit it doesn't leave much residue on the strings (that's when it's new). It can massively increase string life, especially if you play long sweaty gigs. A lot of that is probably just that your strings and fretboard get a good clean regularly (as alluded to above). I've had similar results using WD40 with the same cloth and brush.

I use it at the end of each and every gig, sometimes at the end of each set.

Makes a huge difference to string life. The strings that I replaced on my main gigging bass a couple of weeks back, had been on for a year ( sad I know but I keep records) and had done thirty plus gigs.

I've used it quite a bit
As others say, make sure you wipe it off with a decent cloth after application

Used before you play, and then again afterwards really increases the life span of the strings
They definitely stay brighter much longer
I have used it to revitalise old, very grubby strings (they were on a bass I bought 2nd hand
- they were even rusty! Strings were very dead - but a few applications of FF and a bit of playing really brightened them up)