Why become a member? ×

Aguilar DCB pick ups, who's tried 'em? Opinions? Comparisons?

RustInPeace90

Hey there

I was just wondering what the general opinion on the Aguilar DCB pick ups are? I was considering putting a set in my bass instead of going for the normal EMG 40DC set. I heard a couple of samples on Youtube, one in particular of BassTheWorld using a Spector bass with them fitted and using the TonePump pre amp with them which is the same pre amp i have in my bass (it's not a Spector but it is a neck through bass though). They sounded really good and this is what got me thinking about them.

So... discuss please? :P

Edited by RustInPeace90

Yes, very nice! Slightly warmer than standard EMG without the top end peak that EMGs naturally do, but being as they are both bar magnet types, they have a character in common. I like EMGs and Ive used them for a long time, but the Aguilar DCBs are very good indeed.

They are indeed passive pickups and depending on what pots you have in the bass, yes you may need to swap them out too. EMG do pots for both their passive and active pickups - it'd depend on what you have on board already. i.e. the EMG HZ pickups are passive and therefore the value of the pots is much higher - probably 250k or 500k whereas the active pickups from EMG such as the DC will be using 25k pots.

• 2 weeks later...

They are 250k pots i have on board the bass. After thinking it over, i just went for the set I originally wanted and ordered a 40 DCX (bridge) and 40 CSX (neck) set to go in it. Made more sense, I've got a Spector tone pump pre amp in it too so it should sound good!

Thanks for the reply on the Aggies though d00d, if i ever get another bass that needs soap bars, i may try them out!