Why become a member? ×

Withdrawn from sale
£750

[color=#ff0000]Price dropped to £550[/color]
A few years back, I came up with an idea after watching M*A*S*H. In the film, Radar o'Reilly was mailing a jeep home in installments rather than nicking the whole vehicle. So, thanks to eBay and other internet sites I started aquiring the parts to build a very nice Strat. I managed this twice without having to apply for permissions from the head of domestic affairs but now (I also have a Tokai that I've had for years) three Strats is far too many for a bassist.
[attachment=186274:DSC_1.jpg]
So, I started with a Fender American Standard body in sea foam green. I think it must be from the nineties, the date is hard to fathom in the neck pocket. This has the swimming pool rout for any combination of pickups. the body was signed by Robin Trower on the back.
[attachment=186283:DSC_3123.jpg]
[attachment=186286:DSC_3127.jpg]
[attachment=186278:DSC_3117.jpg]
Next came a Fender USA Vintage 62 neck, this was a replacement neck that Fender used to sell (at vast prices), the laser etched Fender on the back of the headstock gives the game away. As such the only logo on the front was the Fender one but I've applied the rest. On the back of the neck behind the 8th and 9th frets is a small hairline crack in the lacquer this is purely in the finish and is NOT in the wood of the neck.It is barely discernible and you can hardly feel it in use.
I built this guitar up about 6 years ago and there has been no change in the neck, the crack has not changed nor has the neck need adjusting.
There is virtually zero fret wear.
[attachment=186275:DSC_3114.jpg]
[attachment=186277:DSC_3116.jpg]
[attachment=186284:DSC_3124.jpg]
[attachment=186276:DSC_3115.jpg]
I've fitted Sperzel locking machineheads in brushed silver finish.
At the other end of the strings is a Wilkinson convertible trem/vibrato, as rare as rocking horse poo. This has the clever arm which when not in use drops into a mounting plate on the rear cover and locks the bridge up solid. Bending one string doesn't knock the others out of tune and if a string breaks the guitar is still playable. It is set up to float so you can bend up or down in pitch. Resting your palm on the bridge will not alter tuning either.
[attachment=186287:DSC_3128.jpg]
Electronically the guitar has a set of Dimarzio noise cancelling pickups; two HS1s in neck and middle and an HS2 (slightly hotter) in the bridge position. Also a Fender Clapton mid boost and TBX tone control. I fitted the TBX and mid boost pots the other way round to the Clapton set up as to my tiny mind it makes more sense to have the mid boost in the middle. The scratchplate is a nicely aged mint green job and all the other plastic parts of are a similar patina. All internal cavities have been screened with a combination of copper foil and conductive paint.
[attachment=186282:DSC_3121.jpg]
There are a few tiny knocks and dings in the body and the colour has slightly darkened with age.
[attachment=186279:DSC_3118.jpg]
[attachment=186280:DSC_3119.jpg]
[attachment=186281:DSC_3120.jpg]
[attachment=186285:DSC_3125.jpg]
[attachment=186288:DSC_3130.jpg]
The last picture gives the best idea of the colour of the body.

I'm sad to see it go but as I normally only play bass these days it's just gathering dust in the wardrobe so it's over to you lot.....

It plays like a beaut and is set up with a brand new set of D'addario 10s.

Trade wise? Not sure really. I do covet a Princeton or Deluxe reverb amp. A decent electo acoustic 6string. Bass wise? 4 strings only and nothing too modern!
<script src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/e50a6ea/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
<script src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/d29953f2/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
<script src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/42e415bb/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js" type="text/javascript"></script>

Edited by Fettsman